Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by R00k View Post
    unfortunately like most quake media, the person either got bored, busy or just wanted to add to his portfolio. I hope im wrong, but i doubt we will ever see an update. He did however nicely provide the blender files so anyone can make changes; which is really cool on his part.
    Those should be probably backed up for prosperity.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• Yea that is neat. Maybe someone then can update / modify it. Maybe that will be me if I get brave with Blender.

I do remember it being said that the player model he made is offset than original so the old skin format used wornt fit anymore. Also this one seems to lean forward when moving, which I think was a neat modification. It seems to be legit that when running there is a forward lean...walking not so much. Also this leaning would be a good trick to detect if we are moving up / down a slope via QC.

Originally posted by R00k View Post
      unfortunately like most quake media, the person either got bored, busy or just wanted to add to his portfolio. I hope im wrong, but i doubt we will ever see an update. He did however nicely provide the blender files so anyone can make changes; which is really cool on his part.

Comment

• doods got IK.
        fo real. its a good rig.
        Anyone with the skills should really look into doing some custom work with this.
        Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

• For one thing just realized the player comes with a hi res png skin I believe....and to my knowledge NO engine (save for q3 maybe) out there as of yet has colormapped png/tga into the engine so that the client colors / scoreboard colors you set via (color x x) would match whats on the player.

DP seems to have stepped into this a little , inadvertently because color 14 is orange and to me color 15 looks to be "fire" orange / red....where on older engines its usually like a gray tint.

Comment

• Qrack has 3 hi-res player skins that are layerd on the player, a base skin, a shirt and a pants.tga

the shirt and pants are white if u load up the texture; the engine DNAMICALLY colors the texture based on what you enter as color x x

and DarkPlaces ALSO does this.

BTW there is the original version, of CapnBubs' model that has the same skin format/scheme as the original.
            Last edited by R00k; 01-13-2015, 07:02 PM.
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
              Yea that is neat. Maybe someone then can update / modify it. Maybe that will be me if I get brave with Blender.

I do remember it being said that the player model he made is offset than original so the old skin format used wornt fit anymore. Also this one seems to lean forward when moving, which I think was a neat modification. It seems to be legit that when running there is a forward lean...walking not so much. Also this leaning would be a good trick to detect if we are moving up / down a slope via QC.
              AFAIK not a soul in Q1 walks anymore
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• Ok lets say you use a hi-res skin like Primeevils ranger skin. Its in TGA format I think. Off hand I dunno how many millions of colors TGA can reproduce, I would imagine its at least millions. So does Qrack map out all those possible colors so they are available as shirt and pants possibilities? That was more or less what I was pointing out. So far using DP any hires skin wont colormap to match the traditional color x x scheme. Whatever colors are in the skin file are what its locked to be.

Qrack has 3 hi-res player skins that are layerd on the player, a base skin, a shirt and a pants.tga
                the shirt and pants are white if u load up the texture; the engine DNAMICALLY colors the texture based on what you enter as color x x

Comment

• True, its a hi speed game by tradition. You can walk if you take always run off in settings. Or you can bind a key to +speed and now you can walk and run both. Walking has maybe some uses if someones targeting you and judges their shot by the speed they see u moving.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                  AFAIK not a soul in Q1 walks anymore

Comment

• cobalt, if you're talking about QuakeWorld GFX - Skins / Player Model / PrimeviL 24bit Skins addon then they were made for a shitty engine that doesn't support full colourmapping. other engines do. Just follow r00k's words, for he speaks the truth!
                    Save r00k's 3 images in the right oplace and they should work for most engines. The exceptions are ezquake, or quakeworld where a qw skin overrides the model's normal skin.

colours 14 and 15 are not supported in vanilla. engines that do allow them will give rainbows or other weirdness. these are the 'fullbright' ranges and do not make much sense on skins, and thus the implementations of these 2 extra colour ranges is likely to differ from engine to engine.
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

• Cobalt, I appreciate your patience and hope not to upset or confuse.
                      I dont 'colormap' the skins as the software renderer does. I simply apply a hand-coded color to the skin.
                      Code:
                      	glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE);		
                      	glEnable (GL_BLEND);
                      	glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE);

ColorMeBad(colour);
                      where the colour is based on your shirt or pants.
                      and the corresponding teamcolor is from a defined table
                      Code:
                      //These colors coincide with the (unofficial) Quake Network Protocol Specs
                      float teamcolor[16][3] = 
                      {
                      	{123, 123, 123},// 0 Newspaper
                      	{83, 59, 27},	// 1 Brown
                      	{79, 79, 115},	// 2 Light Blue
                      	{55, 55, 7},	// 3 Green
                      	{71, 0, 0},	// 4 Red
                      	{95, 71, 7},	// 5 Mustard
                      	{143,67, 51},	// 6 Clay
                      	{127, 83, 63},	// 7 Flesh
                      	{87, 55, 67},	// 8 Lavendar
                      	{95, 51, 63},	// 9 Grape
                      	{107, 87, 71},	// 10 Biege
                      	{47, 67, 55},	// 11 Aqua					
                      	{123, 99, 7},	// 12 Lemon
                      	{47, 47, 127},	// 13 Blue
                      	{255, 114, 41},	// 14 Salmon
                      	{254, 0, 0},	// 15 Fire Engine Red
                      };
                      void ColorMeBad(int in)
                      {
                      	vec3_t out;
                      	float l;

l = 255;

if (gl_overbright.value)
                      		l = ((shadelight + ambientlight) / 224) / 192;//slight 15% 
                      	else
                      		l = ((shadelight + ambientlight) / 224) / 224;

VectorCopy (teamcolor[in], out);
                      	VectorScale(out, l, out);
                      	glColor4f (out[0], out[1], out[2], 1);
                      }
                      the original model CapnBubs made did 'kinda' work for that skin i posted above, (the helmet covered the forehead making it look comical)...
                      Last edited by R00k; 01-14-2015, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• OK so you substitute hard coded RGB color codes that are equivalent to the original Quake colors...that makes sense. To me its sort of like color-mapping.

What I am pondering is covering all the possible ranges in between so we are not locked into those stock quake colors anymore. Spike mentioned to me in another mesage:

color 0x00ff00 0xff0000 (yay for rgb colours.)

So it sounds to me like its already working that way?

Cobalt, I appreciate your patience and hope not to upset or confuse.
                        I dont 'colormap' the skins as the software renderer does. I simply apply a hand-coded color to the skin.

Comment

• hmm ya i guess i could make a cvar for enemycolor and teamcolor and store them in an array and allow the user to define colors in r g b.

when i made the color table im using i used a colorpicker in photoshop of the team colors from a screenshot. i orignally started with the unofficial protocol specs but they looked kinda washed out

Comment

• That would be a defining feature in any engine....pretty much unlimited client colors. Im not sure if Spike was saying FTE is already doing this exact thing tho.

The old skins colormap if there is a certain shade of brown like used in the player models skin 0. I guess you would need to keep this compatibility by default plus the stuff you just posted that translated the old color system, and then just detect if the new substitute skin file is in a hires extension other than pcx of bmp or the other compatable skin formats. The trick would be to maybe do the same thing where if there are brownish red colors, they get mapped / matched to the larger color scale in the same manner, or to hard code shirt and pants via the color rgb rgb format.

hmm ya i guess i could make a cvar for enemycolor and teamcolor and store them in an array and allow the user to define colors in r g b.

when i made the color table im using i used a colorpicker in photoshop of the team colors from a screenshot. i orignally started with the unofficial protocol specs but they looked kinda washed out

Comment

• Just in case some of you didn't see the info on Func_Msgboard a few days ago:

Lunaran remade the knight in the same fashion as the models from this thread.

Last edited by NightFright; 01-15-2015, 05:43 AM.
                              Authentic Models Pack
                              OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
                              LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• neat, ill def be using that improved model by lunaran

EDIT: its far from perfect, but i did a quick dirty edit of reforged knight skin to (mostly) fit lunaran's improved knight

V reforged skin for lunaran's model V
                                Last edited by talisa; 01-15-2015, 07:40 AM.
                                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Working...
                                X