No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know, I've always found the clunky movements of the ogre quite fitting. The problem with the breathing bobbing (with all monsters, not just the ogre) is that it's much too fast to look realistic, thus making it look like they're bobbing to music. I've talked about it with Madfox in his Player Model thread at Quaddicted and apparently it would need A LOT of work to slow down the breathing animation.
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
      I've talked about it with Madfox in his Player Model thread at Quaddicted and apparently it would need A LOT of work to slow down the breathing animation.
      That is not quite correct.
      The animation frequence of original Quake is: 0.1 s
      If you are keeping this in mind while working on the models animation you surely can have a very nice and slow breathing animation. You have to make the difference between each frame much smaller, so that the motion per frame is small.

That would lead into 2 things:
      1.) If you do not want to have a mod together with your model, the breathing will be very subtle because of limiting frame count, Multiplied by motion per frame will lead to small motion.
      2.) If you do want to have a mod together with your model, everything is possible of course. You could reduce the frequence or raise the frame count. Both will lead to wonderful fluent and slow animations.

Regards,
      Seven

Comment

• It's a fantastic Ogre model, possibly my favorite just from the previews. Really loving how fast these updates are coming out, too xD
        Soundtracks and Instrumentals
        MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
          That is not quite correct.
          Well Madfox is an experienced modeler and animator who has done it for years, so I would think he knows the subject quite well. Here's the thread in question if you're interested: Quake 1 Player, more specifically posts #17 & #19.

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
            Well Madfox is an experienced modeler and animator who has done it for years, so I would think he knows the subject quite well. Here's the thread in question if you're interested: Quake 1 Player, more specifically posts #17 & #19.
            Seven and Madfox are hinting at the same thing. Basically, the original Quake Guy only had 5 animation frames for the standing (breathing) pose. In vanilla Quake, ALL animation frames have a duration of 0.1 seconds (this is set via the player's .think functions in QC). If you turn animation interpolation off on the game engine, this becomes very apparent.

What this means, is that the entire standing/breathing animation only lasts 1/2 second (0.1 x 5) before cycling again. So, without modifying the QC source code (adding additional frames or increasing the frame duration to something greater than 0.1), a mod-less model with a realistic breathing animation isn't just hard to pull off; it's virtually impossible. 5 frames just isn't enough. I went through all of this when I made my player model...I had to just settle on reducing the level of jerkiness while maintaining some form of movement to indicate that he's 'alive', so to speak.

The strange thing is that id software made the axe standing animation 11 (or was it 12?) frames long...more than double the standing animation that gets called on 99% of the time lol.
            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• with darkplaces you could use framegroups to make the breathing-animation have more frames without requiring any kind of QC-mod
              Modeling for DP | QuakeWiki

you just need to add the animations to the model, and then tell darkplaces to use those frames instead for the 'idle' animation of the player,
              and then just increase the framerate flag of that animation to make it use more frames per second,
              and you could have the player use a breathing-animation that uses double or even quadruple the amount of frames to make it smoother
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
                with darkplaces
                Perhaps, but it would be lame to restrict a model to one engine only.

Comment

• the model could have the slower smoother breathing-animations as additional frames,
                  so that the model would still work with any engine, and with other engines you just get the regular 5frame idle animation
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• @DarkPlaces framesgroups

I didn't know that, cool!
                    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                      @DarkPlaces framesgroups

I didn't know that, cool!
                      +1

My thoughts exactly, that is a cool bit of info.

Good for testing things out.
                      Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

• found out about them once long ago cuz OoPpEe's port of tabun's enforcer includes a framegroups file

looked up wtf the file that was included in the pk3 was and found that page.

i actually had to use a framegroups file once for an MD3 torch that i made.
                        the flame on it wouldnt animate otherwise, due to md3 not supporting self-animating framegroups like mdl

Comment

• I did all of the monsters in framegroups a while ago.

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...amegroups.html

I really wish more engines would support framegroups. It's a nice way to define animations.
                          Last edited by silverjoel; 10-20-2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Framegroups can make the animations smoother, but not longer. The timing of the frames in the group must fit into the 0.1 second interval, otherwise the animation will abruptly cut when the QC code calls the next frame(group).
                            Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
                            ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                            Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

• hmmm... wouldnt it work fine if the replacement animation is a multiple of the orgiinal animation?

like the original anim is 5 frames, and the replacement animation is 10 and plays at double framerate?

Comment

• If they half the time between frames. if the original is 0.1 then make 10 frames 0.05, and with interpolation of modern engines it will still be smoove as buttah!
                                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Working...
                                X