No announcement yet.

Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A smooth animation would be nice but what I really would be interested to know is that if it's possible to make the animation slower by adding frames with this method. I've always found the breathing animation much too fast and it would be neat to finally have something more lifelike. I think slowing down by a factor 4 would do it. I've talked about it a bit with Dutch here and Madfox at Quaddicted but didn't get a definitive answer.
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
      A smooth animation would be nice but what I really would be interested to know is that if it's possible to make the animation slower by adding frames with this method. I've always found the breathing animation much too fast and it would be neat to finally have something more lifelike. I think slowing down by a factor 4 would do it. I've talked about it a bit with Dutch here and Madfox at Quaddicted but didn't get a definitive answer.
      Adding more frames into the same time frame wouldn't slow it down, it would only make the animation smoother.

Imagine two cubes spinning round, one is moving at 30 fps and the other at 60 fps.

Both cubes make one whole revolution in the same time frame. lets say, in one second.
      The cube moving at 60fps would appear smoother because it has twice as many frames of animation being displayed within the same time period.

If you could slow it down through the code, for example, half the speed, then you would be effectively cutting the frames per second in half , so making the movement appear jerkier.

If I wanted to achieve what you are suggesting then, I would redo the animation in Blender.
      If the idle/breathing animation took up, say eight frames and had the model puff his chest out twice [1-2-chest out-3-4-chest in-5-6-chest out-7-8-chest in]then I would re-record the animation to take place in twice as many frames [1-2-3-4-chest out-5-6-7-8-chest in].
      The animation would be smoother and the breathing would appear slower.

I didn't check to see how many frames the idle animation is, I am just throwing that out there as an example.

That's just the way I would do it, I am not a coder.
      Plus re-reading this, I ain't great at explaining things either, hope it helps anyway.
      Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

• It helps to know that it's possible, yes. I don't know squat about modeling/animation, though, so I couldn't do this myself. But if there's an animator reading this who wants to take up the challenge...

Comment

• To sum up, a model that:

1) has a longer (not just smoother) breathing animation,
          2) requires no QC modification, and
          3) is engine-independent

is simply not possible. The QC code calls on 5 frames for breathing (in the player's .think function player_stand() ). The original model has the matching 5 frames. It's not only a matter of adding frames to the model, the game logic has to do something with those extra frames. I don't know much about framegroups in DP/FTE, but as was mentioned earlier the model should be engine-independent.

Unless someone else has a trick up their sleeve, long story short is that an improved breathing animation with a longer duration requires a QC modification.
          'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• 4.> who really cares how smooth the 'breathing' animation is?
            I mean how often do you see youself in singleplayer? how often does anyone stand around in a multiplayer-game and then who else is standing aroud and watching?? hehe it's just a moot point
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

• It's not just yourself but most of the monsters as well.

Dutch, I have a question for you: would you be up to the task of taking Capnbubs' dog and adding the barking and howling animations from the SMC's new dog to it?

Comment

• Originally posted by R00k View Post
                4.> who really cares how smooth the 'breathing' animation is?
                I mean how often do you see youself in singleplayer? how often does anyone stand around in a multiplayer-game and then who else is standing aroud and watching?? hehe it's just a moot point
                You know, for those guys that like to camp the RA/RL in DM6...they do a lot of standing

but yeah, i totally agree.

@bfg

yes and no. CapnBubs dog model is fantastic, I plan to use it in my mod. At that point, I'll look into adding those features in. Will be a good while though, I want to get DM finished first. It's coming along quite nicely. This time, I'm going to have a beta ready for testing before I make a thread about it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                  At that point, I'll look into adding those features in.
                  When you get to do that, it would be cool to release a version of the updated dog for the SMC.

Comment

• I have played with dwere's weapon replacements a bit and found that I really don't like his replacement for the grenade launcher pickup model since it deviates too much from the original, at least for my personal taste.

Therefore, here is an optional patch for the Authentic Models pack (zip, 1.6 MB) which uses g_rock (ID1) and g_prox (Hipnotic) from my Orion+ pack to restore the original look of the grenade/proximity launcher pickup. The rest remains untouched.
                    Last edited by NightFright; 11-21-2016, 01:56 AM.
                    Authentic Models Pack
                    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
                    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• Bloodshot finally sent me his remake of the Fiend model (demon.mdl), so it's time for an update! There's no updated model for the head gibs (h_demon.mdl) right now, but maybe Bloodshot will add it later.

I have also decided to implement the optional patch from my previous post above since the goal of this project is to stay as close to the original models as possible. Dwere's replacements for the grenade and prox mine launcher pickups really deviated a bit too much.

[Preview image]

Authentic Models Pack v1.61 (zip, 2.6 MB)

Changelog v1.61:
                      > Added: [ID1] Fiend (demon.mdl) by Bloodshot
                      > Update: [ID1] Grenade launcher pickup (g_rock.mdl) from OriOn pack
                      > Update: [HIP] Prox mine launcher pickup (g_prox.mdl) from OriOn pack

EDIT: Updated from v1.6 to v1.61 since I had forgotten to include updated g_prox.mdl.
                      Last edited by NightFright; 12-08-2016, 05:01 AM.
                      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Originally posted by NightFright View Post
                        Bloodshot finally sent me his remake of the Demon model (demon.mdl), so it's time for an update! [...]

[Preview image]
                        TinyPic doesn't work in a lot of countries, including mine. It's impossible to see the preview image.
                        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
                        ==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                        Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube

Comment

• Image link replaced. Should work for everybody now.

*EDIT December 8*

Bloodshot sent me the head gibs for the Fiend as well. After a bit of tweaking (increasing its size a bit to match the original model), it's ready to be used!

Authentic Models Pack v1.63 (zip, 2.6 MB)

Changelog v1.63:
                          > Added: [ID1] Fiend head gibs (h_demon.mdl) by Bloodshot

EDIT: Updated from v1.62 to v1.63 on Dec 8 with proper rescaling/floor alignment for Fiend head gibs.
                          Last edited by NightFright; 12-08-2016, 05:01 AM.
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• I thought the Fiend was supposed to be blind, but I really like the glowing eyes. Though, I guess you can have eyes and be blind at the same time... Sexy stuff!
                            Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                            MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

• The original fiend actually does have small yellow eyes on the sides of its mouth. Hard to make out but if you put godmode on and let him get close you can see them. Or just open the model in QME and zoom in.

Comment

• I've seen what could have been eyes, but I've read numerous times that the Fiend is one of the blind monsters (including the Shambler and Vore as well). Perhaps those numerous times no one's actually looked at the eyes? lol
                                Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                                MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X