Authentic Model Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NightFright View Post
    osj's skin edits are really good as usual. Still I'd like to avoid "painting" over existing model parts to hide them (see Vore titties, something that also still needs to be addressed).
    Thanks. I too prefer the model to properly match the skin. Sometimes the simple skin change does the job but often like this one it just looks jank.

I only put that in because I'd made that before adding the new bar section in. And was hoping against hope that someone might be able to alter the model. This way the skin would be kinda ready to go without me having to re-upload. Looks kinda moot now with teamonsters thing on the go...

Comment

• Shame about the tarbaby and fish, but the new keycards are great! Thanks to all here for the fantastic work you are doing.

Comment

• Two different skins. One is an AI upscale (courtesy of Phredreeke) and the other is a custom one (WIP).
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• I'd say go for the upscaled skin. It looks mind-blowingly good, even for a rather small model!
          Authentic Models Pack
          OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
          LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• Love it love it love it!

Yeah upscale skin please...

Comment

• So, the one on the right of the picture?

Comment

• yeah. I know its a little blurry and all that but that can be fixed in post.
                its the authenticity it gives that makes that the skin of choice.
                +/- perfect match for quake1 assets. just much better model geometry.
                its great...

Comment

• I think the blurriness is also due to texture filtering. But even if not, it's a significant improvement over the default model.
                  Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Here are the silver and gold 'B' keys. I've not tested the silver key in game and thus there may be some fullbright pixels in the skin. If someone could either take a look or point me to what level it's in I'll do it.

Skins are AI upscales. The Silver Key skin is by Phredreeke. b_g_key_upscale.zip b_s_key_upscale.zip
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• I have checked the cards ingame and corrected two things:
                      - Both keycards were missing the "rotate" flag.
                      - Silver keycard skin had some white spots which were easy to eliminate in GIMP.

Other than that, outstanding work! I can't express my gratitude enough, actually. Tea Monster used to be a modelling touchstone for the Duke3D HRP project and it's amazing he can put his skills to good use here as well. Hopefully, there's more to come!

Remaining to-do list for ID1:
                      - Monsters: Rotfish, Tarbaby
                      - Items: Biosuit, Ring of Shadows

Those monsters don't necessarily need a refit, even though the fish might be quite simple, but the two powerups could be nice additions. Especially the ring has very simple geometry.
                      Attached Files
                      Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• yeah its great, he's truly great!
                        I used to follow his work for the duke3d HRP over on duke4 forums...

as for the keycards, lovely!
                        the plague models were nice and all, but not only incorrect as far as authentic representation (I'm looking at you, unwanted crossbar, lol) but actually a little too detailed. all the outer edges are bevelled, to theextent of looking almost curved, which is something you expect more on q3 qnd that era of modelling.
                        Teamonster's is spot on. just the right level of geometric detail that adds, but does not look out of place.

that. being. said.
                        there's just one thing.
                        You know, I, like many, play in texturemode 'nearest_mipmap_linear' so for me that upscale skin looks texture-filted even with texture-filtering off, if you know what I mean.
                        I couldnt bare it so, you know me, cant resist a tinker about with new models:
                        https://www.mediafire.com/file/yn9la...eskin.zip/file
                        I re-ported the classic skin in on the new teamonster model (but had to do a little bit of fudging to get the size right, new aspect ratio was unexpetcted!)
                        Plus, I had to tweak the green recessed bit so it did not show outside of its recess (was slightly showing on the botom bevelled edge when I first did it...)
                        anyway, heres a pic: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/55...7tkec82qzg.jpg

its essentially the same as teamonsters release but the skin is 100% original low-res, (just altered to fit a bit better) which I feel fits in with the other models of the same ilk (health, ammo etc...)
                        Oh, fyi I used NF's 'fixed' models so they spin 'n' stuff...

If not wanted, meh, its an alternative. choice is always a good thing...
                        Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-15-2021, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I have checked the cards ingame and corrected two things:
                          - Both keycards were missing the "rotate" flag.
                          - Silver keycard skin had some white spots which were easy to eliminate in GIMP.

Other than that, outstanding work! I can't express my gratitude enough, actually. Tea Monster used to be a modelling touchstone for the Duke3D HRP project and it's amazing he can put his skills to good use here as well. Hopefully, there's more to come!

Remaining to-do list for ID1:
                          - Monsters: Rotfish, Tarbaby
                          - Items: Biosuit, Ring of Shadows

Those monsters don't necessarily need a refit, even though the fish might be quite simple, but the two powerups could be nice additions. Especially the ring has very simple geometry.
                          There are already models for the biosuit and the Ring of shadows
                          http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...abled-powerups

Comment

• not really ideal for this project though I think, as those models are not 100% compatible with all engines, I fear.
                            I cant get 'em to work in quakespasm anyway...
                            Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-15-2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Maybe the ring model could be used, but it needs to be "de-Darkplace-ified", if you know what I mean. Still wouldn't mind a 100% remake.

*Edit*
                              Forgot to mention, osj's skins fit even better. Will use those.
                              Last edited by NightFright; 01-15-2021, 12:00 PM.
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

Maybe the ring model could be used, but it needs to be "de-Darkplace-ified", if you know what I mean. Still wouldn't mind a 100% remake.

*Edit*
                                Forgot to mention, osj's skins fit even better. Will use those.
                                cheers NF, thats most aprecciated!
                                i'd love to have a go at reskinning the items (invis ring particularly) that webangel mentioned but I cant even open them in qme...
                                anyone got ideas on how to convert them to vanilla (or at least quakespasm) compatibility?

Comment

Working...
                                X