X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capnbubs
    started a topic Authentic Model Improvement

Authentic Model Improvement

Update 21/03/2013: Player model added to pack.

Current Features:

Player - New model, texture and animations.

Dog - New model, texture and animations. New head gib.

Grunt - New model, texture and animations.

For Modders:

Complete .blend files included.
    UV maps for new textures included in high resolution.

Downloads:

Authentic Models Pack

After playing around with Quake for a bit the past few days I decided that the models could do with a bit of improving.

I decided to start by attempting to update the Grunt. I really like the original aesthetic of quake so I worked with the original texture and rebuilt the model from the ground up. I'm also working with the original .mdl format so these will work even in vanilla Quake.
    Last edited by capnbubs; 03-21-2013, 10:15 AM.

• osjclatchford
    replied
    that is good news. never thought you'd here anything quake related from chillo again to be honest.
    and you've struck a quake nerve with him it seems, just look at this on his recent twitter feed:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1331114040744050688 LOL

anyway. I made a little skin today.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/xwpshs...d_axe.zip/file
    I was playing some arcane dimensions and when going back to regular quake maps I found I really missed the new axe model.
    Ive compiled the standard, unbloodied-clean one (simply renaming it to v_axe) and also tweaked the shadowaxe (bloodied one's) skin a bit so it doesn't glow in the dark anymore.

essentially its an alternative model with a choice of either a classic-bloody skin or clean skin. your choice. Ok its not as faithfull as dewarecat's but it does make a nice alternate nonetheless... (pic attatched for those just stopping by)

image_3257.jpg

Last edited by osjclatchford; Today, 06:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    Good news: Chillo replied to my mail. Bad news: He isn't sure if he still has the male Vore saved anywhere, but he will check.
    Well, at least there's a chance!

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    yes its true the id1 demon.mdl skin has no brightmaps on it. its just something that bloodshot added to his skin and I found I rather liked it. not necassary though so this:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/1h0vke...final.zip/file
    is the final version.
    it has the smaller eyes as requested. they also dont glow.
    and its got the less derpy and more stabby-stabby nang-nang proper fiend teeth you're sure to remeber from those feind pounces that are solidily fixed in all your teenage nightmares...
    I've done nothing to the headgib. it has no eyes so needs no work in theat respect. the teeth are all kinds of wrong but I personally dont like the chillo headgib model at all. its just got something about it that i cant put my finger on.
    as such thats why ive not done any work to this.
    im using the vanilla headgiba s I think its fine but. meh, whatayagonnado?
    each to his own... i've still not found a h_demon.mdl I'm happy with as yet...

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    Well, I don't remember the Fiend eyes sticking out very much (it almost looks as if it's blind), so maybe small, but not-glowing eyes plus new teeth might be the way to go. One skin will be enough for this one since there are no mission pack variations.

These wip releases are nice, though. You can easily cycle through all available skins with QMV and see the differences quickly.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    yes as its wip ive left three skins on that model:

theres a version with the new teeth and glowy eyes.

one thats just the requested smaller eyes (that dont glow)

and chillo's original.

what I was saying is if you want one with the new teeth but without glowy eyes I can make that by combining the two then re-package it with only one skin in it...
    I tend to leave the multiple skins in the model when its wip so i can still mess with stuff before im finished...

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    I already saw there's yet another skin variation included with the model. Unless I start having unexpected visions, I think the default will do. For now there are enough changes for another release. Maybe I'll still wait a few more days to give Chillo a chance to reply to my mail, but tbh I am not counting on it.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    no worries. let me know if you would prefer a version with the new teeth but without glowy eyes. I now use this with the glowy eyes on my setup (only just swapped to this from the bloodshot model) but I remember you had a version of bloodshot's demon without the glowy eyes before you turned to chillo's model. so let me know what you'd prefer...

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    Looking good! Teeth changes help even more to recognize the original model in this. Small changes, big effect!

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    this ok?
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3c53j7...ix_01.zip/file
    or should be smaller still?

headgib not needed... no eyes on it...

*just updated this to include more original looking teeth and glow in the dark eyes...
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 11-22-2020, 07:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    No worries. I am trying again to get Chillo's adjusted Vore he posted on Twitter two years ago. I still have his email and sent another request yesterday. I guess he is busy with Wrath right now, but considering he is posting voxels like crazy, he should have some spare time for this.

In the meantime, maybe I have a task for you: Chillo's Fiend is great, but for my taste the eyes are too big. Maybe you can apply some skin editing magic to turn the eyes into the narrow slots we know from the id1 model? Dunno if the head gibs need to be adjusted as well, but better take a look.

Direct d/l link for Chillo's Fiend:
    http://www.quaketastic.com/files/mod...n_032320_1.zip

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    well, you can forget that. been fucking about for about an hour warping and reshaping the model in qme. took ages tring to get it right. i just about got it looking how I wanted it. it was a 3d nightmare to work with. Im too used to working 2d so this was just a logistical headache. I saved it a nd loaded it. what a bastard. it was a disaster. turns out that the hours work was only ONE FUCKING FRAME!!!!! to hell with this!
    It's clearly not how it's supposed to be done and i've not the patience for such absurdity. its like the code system. when i found out that prog.dat files cant be edited or altered. WTF man!? im too used to zdoom's decorate code. and I thought that was hard to figure out. this makes that seem as simple as rolling a dice...

nope Im out. too fucking crazy for me.

its all dark magic and maths. not my bag baby...

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    thanks NF!
    the ogre is quite a labour of love from both chillo and myself if its not too boastfull to say so. for me the work i did was really something thats just kept coming from endless trial and error.
    the first and most obvious change needed was the crude grey Q being swapped out for the classic 'leather pressing' version from the original art.
    I knew there was something about the face that bothered me. first it was the eyebrows, had to lower them to get that classic scowl.
    then it was the mouth. at first i thought it was the big teeth making him look derp but since messing with them and putting the original mouth back I now realise it was the 'clean' chin. the original is covered in drooly slimy gore and grime. restoring this but with the big-ass teeth was what was needed.
    then the extra (but subtle, to match chillo's style) blood smatterings to his face sealed the deal.
    its funny really. I'd do a bit of work, think it was done, and then months later on a playthrough decided something was still bothering me and its back out with qme and mspaint again! LOL

dont get me wrong. I can see where chillo was going with the face here. he's done lots of nice work creating muscletone and lovely shading all round the face and didnt want to cover it up with blood splatters. in truth i didnt either which is why I've kept the subtle blood style he has on the arms and chest otherwise it would not make sense as far as visual continuity is concerned. however, the lack of blood on the chin makes his big-old teeth look real derpy and kinda cartoony. also I see his intention with raising the eybrows some. show off the eyes and make more of a feature, to give more life. unfortunately I feel in this does the opposite on this occasion.
    quake is about atmosphere and the ogres are the most common badguy in there. although they become little more than fodder for your nails grenades as time in the game goes on they should still look mean and scary. your going to be seeing a lot of them is what I'm saying the original, although an atrocious cube headed model (I've long expected to be thus due to it being the first modtel they designed, as such the least developed, polygonaly but also due to its frequency of appearance, requireing a smaller polycount to keep the fps up on old 486's!) reminded me of leatherface from texaschainsawmassacre, I think that was id's intent too, thats why I reimplemented this facial design choice from the original, get more horror and fear and less dopeyness vibes from him...
    anyway thats just how my creative process went on that. I love chillos model and it (and its skin) fits in so well with the other stuff in this pack. for the life of me I cant work out why he decided to abandon this one for the elfin-eared griphook lookalike one he went for in the end...

my vore skin is still a no-no for me due to my aforemntioned complaints but I'm glad you can see where I'm going with it and are prepared to use it.
    I'm tempted to investigate basic mdl editing and see If I can figure out if theres anything I can do in qme or whatever to sort it out... wouldnt expect that anytime soon though. not too hopefull that thats going to be an easy task in the least... wish me kuck!
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 11-21-2020, 04:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    I have just tested the new ogre and vore skins ingame and have to compliment you, osj. Both are clear improvements over their previous iterations. The ogre is now EVEN closer to the original with what seems to be a rather minor edit. It also works out-of-the-box in DoE now, even though testing is a bit tricky since apparently the game is replacing ogres with multi-grenade versions randomly.

The vore is a completely different matter. Your new skin makes the titties almost completely vanish until you look at the model very closely from the side, which rarely happens in the heat of combat. It's probably as close as we can get without a real edit of the mdl mesh. Maybe there might be some issues with animation, but I doubt you will notice them and the entire appearance is just more faithful.

(I will still keep trying to reach Chillo, he cannot ignore me forever. Ironically he apparently was working on a male version in 2018 since he tweeted a gif back then, but he never released the model. Sadly he is almost my only hope since there are not that many active Quake modelling artists out there these days. If you know someone that could do it, be my guest!)

Both changes will definitely be in the new version on Monday. Thanks again for doing this!

(Also I will include recompressed versions of Chthon and Death Knight models since resaving those mdls in QuArK saves more than 70% file size, which is impressive.)
    Last edited by NightFright; 11-21-2020, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    yeah the latest ogre skin ive done (four posts back) will no doubt be the last tweaks I do to that one. I'm real happy with it now.
    the vore is not really all that to be honest and looks odd when the shalrath moves about. the model is designed and animated to look a bit jiggly around the chest so its actually better with the overtly female skin... with model tweaks the alterations Ive made to the skin would be just fine, but for now thats one I'm just keeping on file for a later date. I myself am using the one thats currently in the pack. yeah its a deviation but so the chton so meh, why not... a bit of artistic licence is not always a bad thing. some may find this a dealbreaker for the specification of "authentic" so I just let people pick and choose what they want in there...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X