Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osjclatchford
    replied
    LOLs its a lot of stuff in there to keep track of it all. I couldnt remember either so I simply figured, re-download the pack.

been on the prowl, model hunting again and found an old gem(?)
    not sure if you know of these:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/egsui...bolts.zip/file
    chillo made these higher poly lightning bolts (for the thunderbolt, shambler and chthon's pylons) a while back that are a slightly different take on the originals.
    Im personally not 100% sold on these tbh as I feel they differ a lot from the very cheesey-cartoon-spikey originals (which is one of the things that spark my nostalgia nodes)
    but I thought I'd share then nonetheless. just in case you like them and have missed them when they were first released. they were in a copy of one of his old packs and i'm not sure if they are still in the latest. Ive not seen anyone mention of them till now and if they are unwanted, so be it but its an alternative set of models for passers by nonetheless...

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    Looked at the gibs ingame now and they look fine, so I guess they are in. I didn't even know there were gibs model in the pack already - forgot to mention them in the readme, lol. (Probably they came from an older AD release or possibly "RetroJam1" since I didn't list all external entries completely.)
    Last edited by NightFright; 01-18-2021, 02:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    on a side-note, one model in id1 I'd like to see remade is this:
    https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0a...f9ryyqruzg.jpg
    not necessarily the flame, but the handle/torchgip is crying out for a few more polys. and these things are everywhere...

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    well In truth, I'll admit I missed that there are anims on the frames. when using them as their conterparts in regular quake in quakespasm, they dont animate nor rotate and seem to act precicely like the originals did: just fly up and tumble about the place.

I can delete the anim frames if you wish me to? If nothing else, it might make the filesize smaller somewhat...

*edit*
    here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/b69t5...r_id1.zip/file are the models with the animation frames removed.
    in truth it did little if nothing to filesize but I know you can sort that out in quark should you choose to.
    (just fyi I chose frame 8 for gib3 as thats even closer in form to the original, just nicer texturemapping)
    all tested in quakespasm and working great!
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-17-2021, 09:24 AM. Reason: added amended models with un-needed anims removed

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    I will have to see it ingame. Q1mv sucks with model previews sometimes. The AD gibs rotate by default and are animated, which looks very weird.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    right. I just had a look inside auth_mdl-r22 and found you have some gib models that re either the standard id1 models or they are some kind of debug versions perhaps.
    anyway.

please do see this comparison pic to see what I mean:
    https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/b2...6ljpbf3bzg.jpg

the three at the top are the ones you are currently using, the three below the ones by sock.
    to me there is no contest. the difference is night and day.

the current gib1 (arm) is literally a square rectangular brick! LOL
    the torso is better/neater poly and better texturemapped (look at the warping on the side of the torso on the top one!)
    and the generic gib simply a bit neater and again, nicer tex-mapping... (again, massive warping on the top vertexes of the top one)

obviously if you're set against them thats fine its your decision for the project, I suppose I just dont get it...
    sorry to keep going on about these but I guess Im just passionate about the fact that these are the definition of authentic faithfull remodels; slightly higher poly but true to original and I just can't see why you wouldn't want them in the pack.
    It feels like a bit of an opportunity missed not to include them when they done and are already ready to go...
    is it just because they are from AD or something?
    I think they predate AD by a long shot, anyaway. sock made them a long while ago now I believe...
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-17-2021, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    I think none besides zombie gibs.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    re. gibs.
    oh, ok then.

I use them because, essentially, these ad ones are slightly higher poly than standard yet use the (+/-) original skins. So thats why I thought to use them.

but each to his own.

I thought the gib1 (arm) looked the most noticably improved.
    the gib2 (torso) I felt was better than vanilla but closer in authenticity than chillo's, which are too specific to his zombie model's torso in looks. I feel it needs to be more generic as its used for a variety of monsters (two dropped when a scrag dies! making it odd if it looks too specifically like the zombie torso)
    the gib3 one is simply a slightly different model thats got better texturmapping than the original which has some very bad skewing visible on the top of the model.

if you look these side by side with id1's originals you'll see the noticable differences straight away, I'm sure...

what gib models are in the compilation currently?
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-17-2021, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    Great, then. Please note that the plasma cells are BSP models, though. I dunno if you are familiar with those. I have added the model names in question to my previous post.

Side note: Wetsuit model rotation fixed (internally, not gonna post that again unless someone really needs it badly).
    Last edited by NightFright; 01-17-2021, 07:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tea Monster
    replied
    I have a horrible confession to make. I've only recently started playing DoE. I bought Armagon when it came out for the original Quake and played it through once or twice. I really enjoyed the Centroids and the way they tried to 'amp up' the classic game.

Fun fact: I bought Quake when when it first came out. I had a 386 DX20. Because I installed a coprocessor, I could actually run Quake, but only at a frame a second! It wasn't until a year or so later that I managed to source a PI 200 with a voodoo card and I was able to actually play the game!

I now have tools to open pak files and MDL models. I should be good, but thank you anyway.

Leave a comment:

• NightFright
    replied
    Outstanding! There would still be at least 3 pickups from the addons which would only require a polycount increase. If you are interested, I can post the originals here.

- SoA: Horn of Conjuring (horn.mdl)
    - DoE: Antigrav Belt (beltup.mdl), Plasma Cell (b_plas0.bsp/b_plas1.bsp)

(The shields from the addon are actually OK, even though they appear in my list.)

With those done, we would have more than enough to justify another official release.

@osj:
    From the stuff you posted earlier (eyes, exploding boxes etc), I will add everything except for the AD gibs. Those don't really look like anything special and didn't strike me as anything special.
    Last edited by NightFright; 01-17-2021, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tea Monster
    replied
    suit.zip
    The wetsuit does match up (with some fiddling).

I've not checked for fullbright pixels.
    Last edited by Tea Monster; 01-17-2021, 04:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
    It does use the original skin (AI enhanced). I had to finagle a few things as I added extra geometry. Give it a try, or dump it here.
    please see post #751
    or better yet, post #750 (NF has edited the post to include a copy of the original wetsuit.mdl to show you what I mean)
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 01-17-2021, 02:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tea Monster
    replied
    It does use the original skin (AI enhanced). I had to finagle a few things as I added extra geometry. Give it a try, or dump it here.

Leave a comment:

• osjclatchford
    replied
    decided that even though the low poly nature of the id1 lavaball is not a dealbreaker for the specifications of the authentic pack, its texturemapping is just too atrocious, even for something you see so fleetingly.
    now i could have retectured the skin. but i didnt. I thought I'd experiment with something with some more poly to it.
    So, instead ive altered the perfectly round lavaball from arcane dimensions to be a little more egg-shaped and at the same angle as the original. making it a slightly smoother but not oddly perfectly round version of chthon's weapon of choice.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mzkvh...quake.zip/file

heres a pic of one on map start: https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/51...nr4w3k46zg.jpg

id1 completion getting closer!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X