Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drake staff HD-remake

hey all,

recently i played both unforgiven and wicked this way comes maps, which both use the drake mod, and i quite liked the staff weapon which drake mod adds.
    and i played around with making HD textures for it but even after some ahrd work it still looked only meh compared to the HD models i got for the normal quake weapons....

so i thought it would be a nice idea to make a new HD model for it

DOWNLOAD VERSION 1.3 OF DRAKE STAFF

to use, just drop the pk3 in the modfolder, like in the 'wicked' or 'unforgiven' folder

UPDATE-LOG:
    2012-12-16th -version1.21
    now with better UV-mapping, nicer textures on gems, and reflect-maps to add fancy shiny to gems and gold parts of staff

2013-02-24th -version1.3
    made the wooden handle of the staff a bit longer and slightly thinner so it looks more like a staff rather then a scepter, which it did before.
    also i upscaled the pickup a bit cuz it felt rather small which made it feel a bit like a toy (comparison-pic)
    Last edited by talisa; 02-24-2014, 12:19 PM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

I don't know what a Drake Staff is, but it looks pretty cool. GJ so far.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

thanx gypsy

the staff is a new weapon thats included in the drake mod.
      it doesnt have ammo and can be fired unlimited times. works just like the wand of heretic,
      except for the fact that if you wait a few seconds itll charge up and you can fire a bit more powerfull shot

damage per shot is really low though, i think the same as axe. so its like an extra backup weapon for in case you run out of ammo so you'll have something to defend yourself with like the axe, but the staff is usefull for a distance.
      Last edited by talisa; 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I would call that a scepter if no one told me what it's name was.

Comment

lol yeah i agree the model is a bit short for a staff indeed.
          might mebbe fix that and make it longer too so its not so short

the model is floating over a feet above ground in-game, so im sure i could get away with making it longer while keeping it floating

Comment

Actually, what if you didn't remake the Drake staff, but instead used it as a reference to make something similar but far more bad-ass?

For instance: Why does the jewel at the top have to be that shape? What if it was a jewel skull that was on fire in an energy way? What if the bands didn't have "sequins" on it, but barbs of some kind instead?

...or other ideas altogether

You are always remaking something, but I believe you have enough skill to develop something of your own. It would almost be like you would have to lose your own religion. You have opinions that reflect your strong belief in authenticity. I am implying that you should completely throw that out of the window and simply make something for the game that is primarily your own creation and maybe not all that authentic.

If you do that. I will play Drake specifically to use your staff. I will beat the entire game with your staff (one way or another - yes I mean I will cheat if I have to).
            Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-13-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

i dig it! for me i would call it a fire wand like the occult tool. but then agin the hammer to me was always Thor's. i know when i play unforgiven i always feel more like thor then some space ranger. maybe try useing a lava tex on the top jem and see how that looks. maybe it will suck maybe not. also if your going to redo any of the other guns do the rocket launcher that shoots 5 rockits that thing looks like it came from call of duty or something. if any mod is gonna get a hd makeover i think drake would be the one!

Comment

@gypsy
                hmm mebbe... but id like to keep it teh same, and keep it authentic.
                but mebbe after that ill make another version for which ill let my creativity loose
                but yush, i like authenticity, which is why i am doing a 1:1 remake, looking at what it is everything on the texture is supposed to be and making it exactly like that

also, i kinda like the simplicity of the weapon. all it does is fire a weak little magic puff-like projectile, so it would seem silly if the weapon was totally bad-ass looking while its so weak
                also, why go super-crazy bad-ass, sometimes less is more

anyways, first ill finish this. will need to learn a bunch more, the model is far from done currently, and also after the model is done id like to animate it too so it can be used in-game as both in-world and hud

@JD
                yeah i agree. dun exactly feel like some space ranger either when playing these kinda maps, cuz they are medieval themed and such, and there isnt anything sci-fi about them.
                also, thanx for digging the model

Comment

Looks cool talisa!

Comment

thanx

Comment

just been busy on the staff for a bit, made some small updates i wanted to show

added the gems and the little round studs on the bottom-part

next up ill add the what i think looks like on teh texture and what i feel is fitting, rounded holders around the gems which hold the gems in place, to make it look like the gems are placed into specially-shaped sockets which were specially pressed into the gold part for purpose of the gems being placed in them

Comment

nice.
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

If Drake mod has a source I can make your weapon more powerful OR add it as a regular Quake replacement weapon (and make it more powerful). OR teach you how to do it. (if you do not already know)

Comment

PM was kind enough to release the source, there was a link at func_msgboard.

It's perhaps also contained in Tronyn's map distributions.

The Drake source is quite fascinating, too.
                            Scout's Journey
                            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

thanx gb

@gypsy
                              could be cool i guess, to have another version of it some day which is more powerfull
                              wanted to start trying some mapping and could be cool i guess, to have a version of it for my maps

something totally different... gb do you mayhaps have defs to allow for making maps for drake in radiant?

Comment

Working...
                              X