Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation

Programmers suck at grammar.

This is so backwards. We can learn languages and the "punctuation" of such, that most people have no understanding of, but we can barely write a complete sentence.

We can create huge algorithms that perform extremely complicated tasks, but the grammatical use of a semi-colon is something we are completely oblivious to.

We can remember the proper uses of all this crap ~!<>?:;{}()[] (etc), but have no idea where a comma REALLY goes in a regular ol' sentence.

Of course there are exceptions, but this forum certainly isn't an example of them. Actually, LOTS of related forums are not an example of the exception.

That's my observation.

Maybe I should put down php,qc,sql,javascript,etc,etc,etc and learn English.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Speaking of programmers , i need someone to code the touch buns mod

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      Programmers suck at grammar.

This is so backwards. We can learn languages and the "punctuation" of such, that most people have no understanding of, but we can barely write a complete sentence.

We can create huge algorithms that perform extremely complicated tasks, but the grammatical use of a semi-colon is something we are completely oblivious to.

We can remember the proper uses of all this crap ~!<>?:;{}()[] (etc), but have no idea where a comma REALLY goes in a regular ol' sentence.

Of course there are exceptions, but this forum certainly isn't an example of them. Actually, LOTS of related forums are not an example of the exception.

That's my observation.

Maybe I should put down php,qc,sql,javascript,etc,etc,etc and learn English.
      While I'm definitely not as hardcore as you programming language-wise I can definitely relate.

I can type out full functions in a program without even thinking to hard but stick me in Quake and let me chat it up and I probably look like I need spelling lessons...

I think this is because hen you're talking to someone else they can follow all the mistakes you make and adopt to how someone talks...

but in programming land if you don't cross every t and dot every i your program just doesn't work, no guessing what the problem is just ERROR.
      So I'm forced to be more conscious of what I'm telling the computer to do compared to another human since another human know what I mean if I said "Load up these packages"

I have horrible grammar when I'm just casually messaging someone but when I switch to code mode my mind switches paradigms and it's like I think completely different when I "talk to the computer"
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

While I'm definitely not as hardcore as you programming language-wise
        What an incredibly nice thing to say, bro. However, if you could "possess" me and know everything I know, you would realize real quick that I don't actually know anything, you would then realize that you have this crazy ability to figure things out rapidly. That's all I really do, my friend. I get the answers when I need them.

I have written many tutorials on here, where I was learning (much of) it while I was simultaneously teaching it. I'm just a wire. Electricity comes in one end and leaves out the other. I'm working on a qc mod right now and I don't know what I'm doing. (avelocity summin summin times apple pi divided by donuts...IDFK, but it WILL work)

Thank you again for your kind recognition.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
        X