I give up, maybe you can help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give up, maybe you can help!

So, I was watching some TV show, don't even remember what it was, but I did happen to notice this fucked up looking 'building anchor' is what im calling it until someone can enlighten me.

What am I?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    What am I?

I've had this screenshot of it on my desktop for about a month + now, tired of not knowing.

It looks like some serious braided steel too, so. Yeah wtf?
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

a useless piece of rusty frayed rope, probably used to give the building some form of ol timey look. It may also serve some purpose inside the building. Regardless, it's a nothing, bro.

Lol @ building anchor. Buildings aren't anchored to the foundation, it's completely unnecessary cause buildings way tens of thousands of pounds. Something strong enough to move the whole building would snap that lil piece of rope like kite string.

The rope is not made of metal. the building was just painted. The rust look is from years of that fitting being rained on and dying the rope.

edit...well the rust color is too even, maybe it was painted or maybe the rope was some other color and it faded.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      a useless piece of rusty frayed rope, probably used to give the building some form of ol timey look. It may also serve some purpose inside the building. Regardless, it's a nothing, bro.

Lol @ building anchor. Buildings aren't anchored to the foundation, it's completely unnecessary cause buildings way tens of thousands of pounds. Something strong enough to move the whole building would snap that lil piece of rope like kite string.

The rope is not made of metal. the building was just painted. The rust look is from years of that fitting being rained on and dying the rope.

edit...well the rust color is too even, maybe it was painted or maybe the rope was some other color and it faded.

If you can apply some theory of what it is , what purpose it serves , that also includes some logic involved I'm ready to read all about it lol. I have sat and thought about it several times and even tried googling for this shit, nothing turns up.

Someone will know!
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Tremor = Hero of the Day

Originally posted by Chat with Trem0r
        if so any idea what the fuck it is lol

@ trem0r - June 24th, 2013, 12:55 pm
        yes

@ trem0r - June 24th, 2013, 12:56 pm
        Those are lightning conductors. It grounds the building in the event of a lightning strike.

@ trem0r - June 24th, 2013, 12:57 pm
        Most buildings have several lightning rods that are connected by heavy steel or copper cable and go to the ground.
        That would make it braided metal, as cloth is a poor conductor,Definitely not an anchor,read your above post.. Touche to us both bro lol.

Comment

Although we don't have any tornadoes or widespread floods (that turn in to raging torrents) to speak of over here, I've seen something similar on wooden and lightweight structures in certain areas that were prone to flooding to literally tether them to the ground so they don't move.in extreme weather.

If there was some more information to go on it might help

Edit: I was going to mention the possibility of a lightning conductor, but over here they look a little different like this

and are made of solid metal whereas your piccy looks suspiciously like rope to me
          ..although I can see what you mean..
          Last edited by Mr.Burns; 06-24-2013, 04:18 PM.
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

the only problem with that being a grounding wire is it is not metal. Metal does not fray like cotton, also all you need is a wire in the ground, a huge metal rope would be overkill. It would also make no sense for the rope to be entering a hole in the building as buildings are grounded through the wiring.

not sure why you think that is metal. I understand it is the color of rust, but it is frayed exactly like a cotton rope and even has the wax tip to keep it from unwinding. That is just brown rope.

Comment

you know why that rope is rust color? The tip is supposed to go in that rusty metal plate on the ground. Through years of weathering the rope has "wicked up" a bunch of rust water. The only purpose that piece of rope could ever serve is to uselessly anchor the building. As you can see, rope fastened to a metal plate isn't very reliable, as it isn't even fastened any longer.

If you look at the fitting on the building you can clearly see a part of the rope that is not the brown color. This is because that wasn't exposed to the elements for as long. It's just rope.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM.

Comment

So the mystery continues eh!?

holy fok mang I thought this was in the rear view, so it continues to be an object of curiosity.

Comment

I think you might have been right all along about it being a building anchor. I looked that up after I said it wasn't and it turns out that there are some buildings that rely on anchors (generally shacks on the water). That particular anchor must have been made about a zillion years ago though, cause there are better ways to do that than piece of rope screwed into the ground.

I think I would want something better than a piece of rope and a few philips head screws to stop my home from blowing/floating away. That chainwall must not be a part of the foundation. They could force it to be though, with some well placed holes on an angle and some rebar.

maybe that's the entire point of the picture: "Look at this useless bullshit"

---

If you need some sheetrock work done, let me know. I know how to paperclip that stuff to the studs. You also don't need nails to do a roof. If you beat the nail line down real good on a hot day, everything will be fine.
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-24-2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

There is nothing useless about history bro, or being able to reflect on what used to be and what now is.

I took (printscreen in windows,pasted) the photo out of curiosity, I demanded to know what it was. I'm content to accept any answer so long as its the right one.

Comment

Maybe its an architect's joke meant to trip people that walk by his building he designed?

Comment

You guys are just looking at a building taking a crap
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Working...
                        X