Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most overlooked weapon of mass destruction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most overlooked weapon of mass destruction.

The automobile.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvPPPc_UTs]Epic Don't Drink and Drive Prank - YouTube[/ame]

Everyone be safe this holiday season!
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

1 DUI and almost a decade sober. ♪WOOP... go me... get my life on♪

That's almost a decade sober AFTER over a decade of never being sober. Hardest shit I ever had to do. It took 3 years to stop feeling miserable. That "once an alcoholic always an alcoholic" crap is CRAP. I work in a bar and I have no desire to drink.

However, it wasn't the DUI that "changed my life". I drank til my guts were destroyed. They are un-destroyed now and I plan to keep it that way.

If anybody out there is trying to quit drinking I have a little advice:

1) Don't join any program that tries to convince you that you are powerless or has it set up to where the program is something you "practice" for life

2) Ditch all of your friends that drink

3) Be prepared to accept that you are going to be miserable and hate EVERYTHING for years. This is the hardest part. You literally HAVE to accept that miserable is the new you. It goes away eventually.

4) Commit yourself to something else to fill the void. I chose programming. For every minute that I would have normally spent drinking I spent programming and learning languages.

5) Be honest with yourself. I can't count how many times I stared in a mirror and told myself that I don't have any confidence, I don't think I can do this, etc... It helps in a strange way

6) This is the hard hard one and not recommended til you do have some extreme confidence. Go drink a beer (or whatever you drink). Go right to the bar, immerse yourself in everything, have one beer and after you are done STAY in the bar but don't drink anymore alcohol. It took me months to get that one right, however I only tried once a month. I guess this is sort of a face your problems kind of thing. Worked for me. I don't give a fuck about alcohol. I ordered a glass of wine on my birthday and didn't even finish it. Then I hung out in a bar and played pool with my Father. Both of us were drinking water.

Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic is bullshit. My mentality this entire time was "I am an amazing, intricate, powerful creation of God and a bottle of liquid controls me?! FU.CK NO!"

anybody else here struggling with the same problem could overcome it just as I did. You just have to utilize your power as opposed to living in your weakness.

Aside: We all start off life with the ability to consume alcohol but not have it become a necessary element in our life. My method of quitting has led to a full reset. I could go get smashed right now and it is not going to turn into an alcoholic relapse. Systems like AA keep you in a state of "managing" your problem FOR LIFE! AA keeps you an alcoholic. Instead of completely removing the problem from your life and showing you a way to move on completely, it teaches you how to count days and treat every day like another day you haven't drank. I treat every day like another day of life and drinking isn't even in the equation. I don't have a cult convincing me that I have an unsolvable problem. This is the key to being free. You have to BE FREE. I am free to go drink whenever I want cause I don't have a problem.

Luckily, I don't even care to drink. Part of this is because I remember sitting in a bar with a glass of crown in front of me thinking "I used to do this to have fun. This is not fun. This is a completely empty life and I am DIEING." I remember that. I remember just how miserable it was to drink. Couple that memory with my power over it and the result is a complete lack of desire to ever go down that road again.

I will also say that if you do quit and find yourself so miserable you can't handle it - smoke a joint/bowl/whatever. It takes the edge off and makes things a bit more manageable. I'm not saying trade alcoholism for being a weed head. As a matter of fact, never smoke weed to replace a drunk. Smoke it to take the edge off of how incredibly miserable you feel. Marijuana is not addictive. If you can get through the misery of quitting alcohol you will beat it, completely beat it. If in the end you find yourself alcohol free but a bit of a pothead I will tell you right now that quitting marijuana is the easiest thing you will ever do in your life. A day or two of kinda wanting to smoke, maybe a headache or two (if you were a heavy smoker) and you're done.

Addictions happen because you put a chemical in your body that is replacing a chemical your body naturally produces. Eventually your body stops producing the original chemical and gives you urges to put the other chemical in. There is your addiction. You train your body through chemical use to rely on a foreign chemical.

This does not happen with THC. Technically your body is a THC processing machine. You have natural receptors in your brain which are solely designed to process THC. This means it is impossible to become addicted to marijuana. Any "addiction" based desires you may have to THC stem from the fact that you just like it. It's a mental addiction. It's like sex, you may be addicted to sex but not really. There is no chemical replacement in sex so your addiction is psychological. However, that is a bad example cause sexual addiction can be a very strong psychological addiction. I have never met anyone in my life that needed a therapist to quit smoking weed. It's more of a suck it up and just stop kind of thing and in less than a week you wont even care anymore.

If you actually quit drinking and used weed to take away the miserable edge. You are definitely strong enough to drop the weed later like it was never even a problem as long as you aren't replacing a drunk with a high. You have to be conscious of that too. I also wouldn't recommend being like "I'm a little miserable, Imma smoke." That's not going to work either. You have to face the misery but we all have a limit. That limit is defined by how miserable can you tolerate before you are about to go get drunk to solve the misery. That point is where you might want to consider getting high. The cool thing is (if you are like me) when you get high you will end up with the cleanest house on the planet Which also serves to distract you from just about everything else.

However, not everybody gets a rush of energy that they must expel when they get high so, you might end up with the dirtiest house on the planet . In my case it was good cause the clean house also took away from some of the misery. Your living environment alone can do wonders for you, especially when every little thing counts towards your success.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-10-2013, 11:52 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

narkomani stole

?

Comment

smoke a joint/bowl/whatever. It takes the edge off and makes things a bit more manageable.
        i used it once to help clean a friend off of meth. that shit sucked! but it worked.

props to you MG for doing what you needed to do for you and not being a dick and saying that everyone needs to do the same.

Comment

I have, like MacGyver, advice for you... find a "good" addiction

PLAY QUAKE

Comment

Originally posted by Mom View Post
            I have, like MacGyver, advice for you... find a "good" addiction

PLAY QUAKE
            Mark, you got some real nerve. You're easily capable of earning my reasons for not playing Quake anymore.
            Back when you figured you would show your ass and constantly rename me,kick me, change my color,or just fuck with me in any shape or form, you gave me ample reasons to just be like wow FUCK A MARK.

I am pretty sure you're French Canadian ass hasn't the slightest clue, as you've always seemed a bit clueless, why would today be any different. I don't know how I let a turd like you ruin my outlook about Q1 multiplayer, but you did.

I think I would rather twiddle my thumbs than have shit to do with you, and THATS the saddest part.

Mindz =/= Quake1 anymore.
            Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

haha like usual... no fokin comment!!

But to tell you the truth... I MISS YOU AND Q1 since I play very little... We both are going to come back don't you know it hehe.

Comment

Every thread turns to "hate-speech" some kind of way. I'm definitely not saying/implying that I'm not 100% guilty of participation. Actually, I don't know what I'm saying. I'm just saying it.

drug addicts chairs? lol

I'm not sure what you are implying but I'll just say I have one addiction left, nicotine. It isn't going to last much longer either. I'll be smoke-free in <3 months or I'm not a stubborn & determined SOB.

My confidence level is almost to the quit extreme. I just need that edge - the one where cigarettes are perceived as a despicable crutch. I'm getting there. I'm almost to the "fuck this" level. When I start despising the habit or myself for having it... I'll quit and never look back.

I berate the hell out of myself every time I light a cigarette and it is working. Actually, tomorrow when I go to work I'm going to have to admit that I failed at quitting in this off period and I have it set up to where everyone is going to give me hell and tell me what a loser I am.
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-11-2013, 09:48 PM.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                  Every thread turns to "hate-speech" some kind of way. I'm definitely not saying/implying that I'm not 100% guilty of participation. Actually, I don't know what I'm saying. I'm just saying it.
                  Hate-speech?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZIzD0ZfTFg]Eminem - White America - YouTube[/ame]
                  "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

Working...
                  X