Newsflash: making games is hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsflash: making games is hard

Ex-games journalist learns what making games is really like. Maybe those devs aren't all arrogant, stupid, pathological liars? Maybe not every little flaw in some work-in-progress game needs to create a shitstorm of hate on the internet?

Revolutionary ideas, I know!

Five Things I Didn?t Get About Making Video Games (Until I Did It)
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

@GB

Nice find on the article. It speaks volumes and its a good read for anyone that thinks they understand game development and what devs go through to produce a game. Also he referenced some additional articles of interest. Thanks again for the post.

Comment

I echo Primal.

It's easy to criticise but hard to create.

Maybe get your Hovercrates to fidget (or bob) a little?
      Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

So the same "journalists" who force their heinous progressive agendas into video games, and convince people to get screwed by 5 dudes to promote their content finally tried making a game to see how hard it really is? Maybe there is a God.
        Quake is for nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebisu View Post
          So the same "journalists" who force their heinous progressive agendas into video games, and convince people to get screwed by 5 dudes to promote their content finally tried making a game to see how hard it really is? Maybe there is a God.
          You're derailing this thread. This is not about Gamergate. I know what you're referring to and I'll translate for everyone else:

Heinous progressive agendas = feminism, Anita Sarkeesian, women's rights.

Getting screwed by 5 dudes = reference to a Gamergate myth about a certain female game developer who was targeted by a harrassment campaign.

Please take your reactionary Gamergate bullshit and go elsewhere, I don't want it in my thread.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy
            Wow, g_b! With an attitude like that you'll be a bigger jerk than me in no time.

Just being honest.
            I just reacted to Ebisu's injection of "heinous progressive agendas" and "getting screwed to promote content" into this thread, which is off-topic and at least the latter is clearly linked to Gamergate-related harrassment of female game developer Zoe Quinn.

Implying that she slept with different men to promote her game was part of the Gamergate campaign against her. It's fact, I'm not making this up. You can read up on it.

Apart from that, I don't see how Ebisu can make "game dev is difficult" into a roundhouse criticism of progressive journalism. That *was* derailing the thread.

So who brought the attitude into this thread again?
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Good read. I was lucky enough to get Indie Game: The Movie on a humble bundle, and it really shows the emotional work that goes into a game.

Comment

Newsflash: dealing with the community is harder than making the game in the first place.
                Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                  myth
                  Get a load of this guy^^^^

I never said anything about GamerGate. You did.

The Kotaku scandal predates GG significantly.

Otherwise, sorry for going off topic. I just thought it was kind of funny that Kotaku of all people would come out with an article like this.

Video games take a boatload of time, effort, and caffeine. I hate it when people don't understand that and talk like they know it all.

Quake is for nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebisu View Post
                    I never said anything about GamerGate. You did.
                    Like I detailed above, you were referring directly to a harrassment campaign that was the start of gamergate and indirectly to everything else gamergate hates - progressive ideas. Referring to that without referring to gamergate is like trying to take a shower without getting wet.
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                      trying to take a shower without getting wet.
                      Wear a raincoat. Outside of math, there is a solution to almost every problem.

Wanna have your grass cut, but don't want to do work? Pay the kid down the street.

Wanna eat 6 sandwiches without getting fat? Puke.

Wanna burn down your neighbor's house without getting in trouble? Tell him to buy an nVidia card.

Wanna use .bsp for your game but others don't like the idea? Do it anyway :^)
                      Quake is for nerds.

Comment

LOL. I like you Ebisu (no homo), you're a cool cat.

@Wanna burn down your neighbor's house without getting in trouble? Tell him to buy an nVidia card. - funniest one imo

Video games take a boatload of time, effort, and caffeine. I hate it when people don't understand that and talk like they know it all.
                        psssh, it's taken me years to basically make nothing at all The worst part is, I know quite a lot about the Q1 way to make games. I wonder if I tried again, now that the information is more rounded in my head, if I would have better success. Don't get me wrong, the information has been in my head and growing this entire time but, I have taken a long break and that information has had more time to stew. I guess what I'm trying to say is, before it was in my head kinda like an SQL database (make a query, get an answer), I don't really retain it in that way any longer. It's more of a lump now, there is more of a oneness to my view of the whole.
                        Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-01-2015, 01:04 AM.
                        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
                        X