Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

Who upgraded already? Do you like it?

I just upgraded to 10 and boy is it nice. Microsoft has finally done a good job here. Liking everything about it so far. Now to test out Quake...

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
    Who upgraded already? Do you like it?

I just upgraded to 10 and boy is it nice. Microsoft has finally done a good job here. Liking everything about it so far. Now to test out Quake...
    Any chance you are dual booting? I would love to know performance comparisons for games using different API's like OpenGL, DX9,and DX11 , across Windows 7 and Windows 10 respectively.

If not that is okay , I truthfully don't plan on making the switch until I have own a DX12 game, that is unless profound performance exists for the current games I own.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I got 8.1 so I will take the free upgrade,
      but only so I can do a clean install down the line.

I soooo need to do a rebuild, strip it down and clean out all the fans etc...

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy the process.
      Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
      https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Ok...

So now that we've got all the "pretty" sh!t out of the way...

Windows 10
        1.The upgrade from Windows 8.1 was welcomed with open arms.
        2.I kind of liked how the "Metro style tiles got moved into the start menu
        3.I had no issues with "older" programs or regular programs (Older meaning meant for DirectX9.0c era).
        4.Upon the first couple hours or pushing what buttons I could find the Win10 OS needed to be restarted at least 3 times due to programs failing to close (Yes I tried everything, ALT+F4, Task manager End Task and even clicking the X(close) button hundreds of times
        5.The system froze up at least once so far (Hard reboot).
        6.Things would probably run smoother on a fresh install... This is Windows pipe dream and not Linux though.
        7.My DVD-RW decided it was time to eat a CD then refuse to spit it out like some unruly child which lead to me manually removing the CD from the tray(laptop).
        8.Apparently Uninstalling certain programs makes Windows 10 retar.... Mentally challenged and it forgets what it's doing some of the times causing a system freeze or just a program specific freeze.
        9.The Start menu looks like absolute crap unless you stuff it with so many tiles it may as well be running Windows 8.1 Metro.
        10.Cortana is a fvcking bitch who barely never listens, rarely talks and when she does talk she misinterprets about 40% of what I'm trying to get her to do.

Me:"Hey Cortana, What's the closest pizza place where I live?"
        Cortana "Hmmm... Let me see.. You want to know where closet piece of plank here's a shiv?"
        Though it could be of my deep voice that she may have a hard time hearing me. She's still a bitch and I only played Halo 3 and gave up because it was uninteresting. Why Cortana?

WTF?

Overall Windows Experience
        -I'd give Windows 10 a 7 out of 10. there's a start menu by default! That's amazing MS, I really thought after Windows 8 MS would just make the next OS complete touchy feely BS

Experience from a long time Win 3.1,Win95,Win98,Win98SE,WinXP,Win7, Win8 user
        -I really like what they're TRYING to do here, they're focusing on what made Windows XP/7 so damn good while keeping things fresh.

From a Linux user's standpoint
        -I still prefer Linux. Though nothing beats the good ole Windows experience when it comes to playing the latest games. Even though I only play 1 or 2 games, on my Xbox One, some times.

I haven't had the time to try out Xbox ONE to Windows 10 streaming which was one of my big reasons for switching.

AND

When I was on the Insider Preview of Windows 10 I was really horrified at the mess that MS was about to release, it was just REALLY buggy. But they did alright by me. Just fix the damn bugs already!

I could be really nit picking here as I consider myself a power user and some of you guys/gals won't ever have to do the things I do on PCs. So if you just enjoy the ride and don't look around which might expose some HORRIBLE issues then you'd do just fine. I myself was basically trying to throw everything I had at it trying to "soft break" the OS and managed to do so but if it's going to go on my development environment PC then it better be able to do more than browse the web in it's new browser(Edge).

I Don't feel like the OS is going to completly break apart as I drive it 100mph down the road but it feels like a car with a dirty air filter, low tire pressure in one or 2 tires with a radio that keeps fading in and out of stations while you have some random chick in the passenger seat completely talking nonsense at times when you ask her something. The ride is bumpy but it eventually gets you where you need to go, unless you take a detour and or go site seeing.

I'm sure all these issues are on the list of things to fix by MS but honestly, they should have already been taken care of. Then again, maybe a fresh install will fix these issues? They seemed to stem from the new OS and not the upgrade or any type of incompatibility issue.

Why does it feel like I'm beta testing for MS?

Fix your sh!t Microsoft!
        Last edited by Phenom; 07-30-2015, 01:53 AM.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Good review.
          What I really want to know is whether Windows 10 is any less resource-demanding than Windows 8/8.1.

Comment

So far I have not had any issues with Windows 10. Granted, my computer is only about 2 months old and does not have too much stuff on it. I've installed and uninstalled apps without any issue. I haven't noticed an resource issues, but again my machine is new and is fairly powerful (my specs).

The only issue I encountered so far was when I upgraded my graphics card driver. Doing the upgrade turned on stereoscopic 3d which screwed up my games. Took me a bit to figure it out but I just had to turn it off.

Other than that, smooth sailing for me so far.

Comment

I've upgraded and so far it's alright.

I don't like the fact that search is no longer contextual; in the apps menu then start searching, used to search apps but that's no longer the case.
              I don't like that window titles are now plain white with no way to change their colour.
              I don't like that the Settings app still seems half-assed.
              I don't like the additional UI inconsistencies that have been added, there were too many already.
              I don't like the fact that I can't remove most of Microsoft's default apps now.
              I don't like that they've removed the sorting options on their "Quick Access" formerly known as Favourites menu.
              I find it ironic that Windows 10 essentially feels broken on touch devices now, the experience on my tablet is completely ruined. Go figure. Not that I'm complaining, it just proves convergence will never work.

I like that modern desktop apps can run in the desktop now.

That's about all I like.

Comment

I had the windows 10 preview for a couple months then upgraded.

Now, remember ANYtime you migrate windows versions, it's always best to\install on a new drive or partition and keep your old OS setup completely intact! (ei. DUALBOOT! )

it will take a few days/weeks to migrate all the drivers and software and reinstall it to win10

play it safe and take baby steps.

after a couple months youll be using win10 like win7 again...
                Last edited by R00k; 08-05-2015, 11:15 PM.
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                  I had the windows 10 preview for a couple months then upgraded.

Now, remember ANYtime you migrate windows versions, it's always best to\install on a new drive or partition and keep your old OS setup completely intact! (ei. DUALBOOT! )

it will take a few days/weeks to migrate all the drivers and software and reinstall it to win10

play it safe and take baby steps.

after a couple months youll be using win10 like win7 again...
                  no doubt, it would be really ballsy to just fdisk the current windows install that you know is working and getting the job done, for unproven grounds lol
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I tried it and... I'm going to stick to Windows 7 for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      no doubt, it would be really ballsy to just fdisk the current windows install that you know is working and getting the job done, for unproven grounds lol
                      I upgraded right over my Win8.1 install. I'm ballsy!

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                        I upgraded right over my Win8.1 install. I'm ballsy!
                        Look before you leap! Unless you can defy gravity obviously

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                          Look before you leap! Unless you can defy gravity obviously
                          2TB external HD for backup lets me defy gravity 4 times.

Also I backup all my "AppData" so if I format all I have to is reinstall the program then copy over the AppData folder and all my settings for that program work fine (email, browser etc...).
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                            2TB external HD for backup lets me defy gravity 4 times.

Also I backup all my "AppData" so if I format all I have to is reinstall the program then copy over the AppData folder and all my settings for that program work fine (email, browser etc...).
                            haha, good call!

Comment

Clicked on the icon to upgrade to windows 10 and it said they will notify me when my upgrade is ready? wow that's nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X