Looking for a coder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a coder.

Hi everyone! I need a coder to work together on my project.
    Since I'm a very dumb person at programming, I need someone who can code things for me. Hud/Menu/New Gameplay, and stuff. Guess we could go for real money together if we could successfully complete a couple of projects.
    Is any coder around here anyway? Or you would suggest me some site where I can find some QuakeC coders to help me with my project?
    Really, I've lost my motivation for my project because I'm basically doing it alone. You can't achieve something big and hard alone, right?

Originally posted by KenTheModder View Post
    You can't achieve something big and hard alone, right?
    first, I apologize. You set it up so perfectly, I had to swing and knock it down!
    second, I know a few websites that will without a doubt, help you reach "big and hard" really quick....

okay, I've had my haha moment, now for to help you (maybe,because I don't code)

OpenGameArt.org

https://www.makeschool.com/gamernews...ame-developers

I don't know if you have noticed lately, but there is a trend that I see happening, which is your classic 2D scroller type games, when done correctly, have phenomenal success. If I were you,and I'm not I understand this, I would target the retro 2D market.

The most recent example of success in this that I can recall is Shovel Knight

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-uuawy9Ok[/ame]
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

You can find coders hear but you may want to look at inside qc...
      i think i smoked too much but i thought it was inside3d...
      InsideQC Forums • Index page

hope you find some help. what kind of project are you working on?

It used to be,indeed.
      Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 12-03-2015, 12:48 PM.

Comment

DUDE POST UNDER YOUR OWN NAME! LOL
        i do find it creepy you can edit my posts
        its cool next time change the whole thing to make me seem smart
        Attached Files

Comment

Really, I've lost my motivation for my project because I'm basically doing it alone. You can't achieve something big and hard alone, right?
          Find some friends you like to play games with or people you like to talk with.

That is how most things seem to happen in this world. Most forums on the internet and gaming sites happened that way and most mods and games.

Wish vs. Want

1) Want. If you want to make a game, you will put in the effort to make it happen. Even if this means learning to code. People pursue the things they want. They may get them, they may not. Most people that make anything tried to do it several times with many failures.

2) Wish. If you aren't willing to go out of your comfort zone and learn new things or make a fool of yourself by asking dumb questions (it's part of learning), then it isn't a "want". It's a wish, because you are not willing to make any sacrifices to pursue it. I'd go searching beaches for a bottle with a genie in it or something.

Hope that helps.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post

DUDE POST UNDER YOUR OWN NAME! LOL
            i do find it creepy you can edit my posts
            its cool next time change the whole thing to make me seem smart
            Sorry :/ was an accident.

It used to be,indeed.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Since I'm a very dumb person at programming, I need someone who can code things for me. Hud/Menu/New Gameplay, and stuff. Guess we could go for real money together if we could successfully complete a couple of projects.
              Is any coder around here anyway? Or you would suggest me some site where I can find some QuakeC coders to help me with my project?
              I'll program all your games. If you can provide me $35/hr with full benefits and Saturdays/Sundays off.
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

plus royalties...
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

NO PROBLEM! Just one little thing,please post 6 original working animated character models and a small example of your manuscript for the magna.
                  WARNING
                  May be too intense for some viewers.
                  Stress Relief Device
                  ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                  ---------------------------
                  .--------------------------

Comment

It almost always seems someone needs a programmer, mapper or modeler and wants to make a game. Thats great if you happen to DO one of those things.

If on the other hand you dont, its going to be tough to find a team.

If you map, code or model, show your work, and look for some people who want to make the same kind of game, with the same sensibilities. Better yet, learn to do a second one of those three things, and start working on some placeholder stuffs.

If you DONT do any of those things....you need to pick one and learn how to do it. And you probably have to learn how to do it reasonably well.

InsideQC and #qc on irc (where I know you've already found your way to) will likely be very helpful teaching you to code.

func_messageboard, would be the place to go to learn mapping.

Youtube and polycount would be the place for modeling.

Goodluck.
                    Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

Okay, thanks for your replies. Your replies have inspired me now. Slowly writing the ideas on my project. It's going to be a training one. I want to gather up a team and start training with them by doing Quake mods at first. Then we would go for modifying DarkPlaces? Then going for a standalone game? Although I don't have that much money to pay. My plan was to split the income with the team members as the payment. And I'm saying again - I'm very dumb at programming (Getting C's at basics of programming in my college) so yeah, coders are welcome. My designing and writing skills are improving slowly.
                      @Bluntz 6 original animated models? Example of the manuscript? Guess I have stuff to work on I guess.
                      Last edited by KenTheModder; 12-12-2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

There's not likely to be any reason for you to mod the darkplaces engine itself, unless you just meant qc coding. If you're looking to form a dream team and lay the work of making the game at their feet with promise of the riches from your game, you're going to run into 2 problems.

1. A team of people who are familiar with a group of technologies and have technical experience, are likely to form groups without your intervention. If you aren't pulling your weight in the team you join together, you're not likely to be in it for very long.

2. Most of us in the quake community already have some idea of how difficult it is to make any sort of money by releasing a game.

So to reiterate, if you aren't good at something, get good at something.
                        And I don't think storyline counts.

Generally if you cant map, model, texture, or code, nobody is going to take you seriously when you ask for help. It's not help if someone is doing it for you.

My intention isn't to make you consider not going through with your plans. My intention is to make you consider stepping up your game.

Comment

I am just meaning a QC coding. Was I even mentioning I wanted to start small before? I can map, I can animate a little, and I can edit models. But I want to get into model making as well. I can't even draw, so texture drawing should be done by the artist I guess. Here's the screenshot of my current modding progress, as you can see I have basics skills of mapping/model editing/animating (Dunno how to show you magnum's firing animation) :

Hope the magnum fits good for the upcoming mod though.
                          Last edited by KenTheModder; 12-13-2015, 06:49 AM.

Comment

If you are making a game that more or less has nothing to do with Quake.

Use Unity3D (wikipedia) instead and save yourself 9000,0000 headaches. Unity is free, by the way. It has a deep community, nice tools, you'll find people and tutorials, etc.

I mean, a 16 year old, for instance made this game (Unturned Steam page - video link) essentially single handedly:

Modifying DarkPlaces isn't going to happen, there are under 10 people in all of Quake any good at doing a non-trivial modification of any Quake engine, it isn't something someone just "does", it takes years to get even a basic understanding of how it works. And QuakeC is about the least user-friendly thing in the universe this side of Perl.

With Unity, you might be able to throw together something simple in a week, even not knowing anything, because it has tutorials, documentation, YouTube vids, etc.
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Excellent, you can map, edit models, and code!
                              Keep practicing and you'll go far : )

QuakeC has some intricacies, but its servicable. Definitely not a bad way to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X