Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas

I love ideas. I have many of them all the time. I know other people here have ideas as well. I am creating this thread as a dedicated place where we can all share and comment on our ideas. Any idea or interjection regarding an idea may be posted here. What cannot be posted here is non-constructive criticism of an idea. So we are all definitely on the same page... constructive criticism requires politely expressing a flaw in an idea AND providing a solution. If you can't provide a solution then you have no idea what the flaw is and your critique is unwelcome. Suggestions are also welcome if they are stated respectfully.

Acceptable critique:
    "Your idea has promise but, due to "A" it will not be possible to achieve "B". You may consider reading Book by Author which explains "C" very clearly and should help you polish your idea to fruition."

NOT acceptable critique:
    "That is the stupidest fucking idea I have ever heard."

To those that share their ideas:
    If someone comes in here trashing your idea, please ignore them and report them. That person doesn't matter and more than likely wouldn't know an idea if it was forced into their head.

To those that participate in the ideas of others:
    If you like someone's idea and especially if you implement someone's idea to some degree or another, give that person some positive rep. Take the extra second to add a comment to that rep. You'd be surprised with how such a simple gesture can motivate someone. When a person receives rep there is no indication where it came from. My method is to simply add a ~gyp to the end of my comment. This way the recipient isn't left in the dark. This isn't a requirement, but I personally feel like it's good practice.

Let the ideas commence!
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-27-2015, 03:47 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Battle for New Orleans

I think that it might be really cool to pick a 3x3 grid of city blocks from my city and map it in it's entirety, like google earth on steroids. Possibly even going house to house and attempting to convince people to let me document their home inside and out and transfer that information to a very accurate 3d representation of the property. I love my city and I believe the dark culture and history of my city would be an interesting canvas and palette for a Quake-like game with a more real world environment.

The actual story behind the game would be something like this:

Anne Rice has released her most fantastic work ever. In her normal vein she captures the dark history of New Orleans but, this time she decides to go straight fact (or widely believed fact). She goes as far as to print actual rituals within her book with great accuracy. As it turns out she prints one voodoo ritual that was believed to be lost. A voodoo priestess gets her hands on the book and recognizes that the descriptions are the lost ritual for raising the dead. She raises Marie Laveau from the dead which in turn floods the city with the undead, including versions of some of the city's most historical figures (Jean Lafitte, P.G.T Beauregard, etc - these would be the bosses) as well as abominations such as vampires. It is up to you to release the city from it's unholy plague and destroy Marie Laveau. Just as Marie Laveau is on the cusp of death she calls upon Papa Legbo (God) to protect her and it is then up to you to defeat Papa Legbo in order to completely finish off Marie Laveau. The twist is, in order to defeat Papa Legbo you actually have to relent to become the next "Marie Laveau" by accepting/stealing her essence, hence making her call for protection actually your call for protection. By killing yourself the call for protection cancels itself out making Papa Legbos interjection pointless, sending him back from whence he came. Basically, there has to be some trick because you are just some guy and it is ridiculous to think you can actually defeat God (Papa Legbo).

or summin along those lines.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-27-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

The unholy plague idea sounds interesting. I don't play a wide variety of games and know very little about New Orleans other than Zachery Bowen's gruesome murder of Addie Hall, but it might be worth looking in to if the plague theme has been done before. If it hasn't then you could be on to a novel idea. I do think that a representative of an actual well known place could be interesting. As a non US citizen I would be interested to explore areas like California, New York, etc in game as long as it was kept fresh and intersting.

Kind regards

Monty
      Last edited by Mr.Burns; 12-27-2015, 04:50 PM.
      Mr.Burns
      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

something ive been tossing around is a little concept for maybe a mod or game to expand on.

it focuses on the quake marine. the stories of quake and its expansions basically say that our hero is fighting the invasion of quake on his own, and that he is the only thing stopping them. its also implied in most unofficial mission packs and mods.

so, something i was thinking, was what happens when he finally gets home?

my concept is that after he returns home, he finds earth has been under quake's rule for years. he didn't stop it, or even delay it. its not hard to believe while he was making hell in shub's dimension, her minions were making hell in ours. he finds humanity all but wiped out, the few survivors forced into slavery or experimentation. story wise, it raises some interesting developments:

1. did he make a mistake blindly rushing into quake's dimension?
        2. was his seemingly endless fight for nothing?
        3. now that he actually has to save humanity, can he?

obviously, if this was implemented into a game, it would be a story heavy experience, compared to most quake works. i think my idea would make a decent story for quake 5.
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I like that idea Sylux. My one suggestion would be to ditch the idea of it being a continuation of the current Quake line. Maybe start fresh and call it something like "Requiem of the Ranger".

@Mr Burns - I may have been too poetic in my wording. There is not an actual plague (as my idea is currently stated). "unholy plague" was just meant to indicate that there is an unescapable amount of undead and abominations roaming the city. You may already get that but, due to how you worded your response I'm not really sure. However, having you bring it up in that light, I like the idea that there is also some form of infection going around. It could add a whole 'nother level to the game. Not only are you battling your way through the streets but, you also have to find medicines/healers/summin to combat the "unholy plague".

I see one problem though. A 3x3 grid of city blocks would not be anywhere near enough. It would have to be like 2 miles square (really like 5 miles but I could probably compress the city a bit). There a few parts of town that would definitely need to be included but, they are not very close to one another IRL. One example is Lafittes Blacksmith Shop. I love the idea of using historical figures from New Orleans and Jean Lafitte is a no brainer. The thing is, his blacksmith shop (ie his front for his piracy and smuggling) is easily 4 miles from where I was thinking the map should represent. Marie Laveau was also buried/lived miles from my map location but, unfortunately also miles from Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop.

Fun Fact: Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop is now a bad-ass piano bar named Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar. This is also where many of my city's vampire/haunted/voodoo tours begin. On the other side of that brick wall on the left is a courtyard. I was out there one day and a "Vampire" jumped the wall and scared 5 years off of my life. Not cause he was a vampire but because the last thing I expected was for some flying, screeching human to come barreling in over my head from behind me. My back was against the courtyard side of that wall. As much as I hate to say it, that flag is killing the vibe of the exterior.

*Do I have this correct? 2 square miles would be like 2x1 (among other possibilities that equal 2) but, 2 miles square would be 2x2, hence 5 miles square would actually be 25 square miles, right?
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-27-2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I googled because I too was curious about this (square miles)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_mile

The square mile (abbreviated as sq mi and sometimes as mi2)[1] is an imperial and US unit of measure for an area equal to the area of a square of one statute mile.[2] It should not be confused with miles square, which refers to the number of miles on each side squared. For instance, 20 miles square (20 × 20 miles) is equal to 400 square miles; an area of 10 × 40 miles is likewise 400 square miles, but it is not 20 miles square.

Hope this helps, it helped me.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

so I was exactly right. Thanks for looking that up.

Comment

Working...
              X