voip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voip

Does anyone know if "Voy-EE-P" is patented? As such like, if I said, "lemme voip my friend so he can explain it to you..." voip instead of "text", as a verb.

Because, if I win the next POWERBALL, i'm gonna buy Steam and add it; the ability to call your friend (even in-game) and ask them a question.
    Last edited by R00k; 01-09-2016, 11:23 PM.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

more ways to aggravate r00k while he plays h1z1, sounds good to me
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Just use a quake server...

fte's xmpp plugin provides support for voip calls (or connecting two quake engines for a coop game or whatever). The hardest part is getting an xmpp account somewhere that you can actually log in to (oauth2 SUCKS). Obviously you need a friend with the plugin too...
      Some Game Thing

Comment

i was trying to tie it into a friends list that already has voip and a library of games ie steam ;P

or icq even...

or an FTE quake lobby
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I need talk hax to replace my mm2, so it needs to support 3-4 people
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

once you have a voip encoder+decoder wired up to RTP, all you really need beyond that is some way to transfer SDP (or equivelent in the case of xmpp/jingle) between the two clients. I'm very tempted to hack up fte's irc client to do it, but I'm too lazy to get stuck in (and make the thing usable too).
            Someone could also set up an ejabberd server or something too (accounts and friends and other stuff makes UIs a bit annoying to maintain+test). So yeah, IRC. server+nickname+channel. and the server+channel can be defaulted, and the nick can be seeded by the user's name cvar. hurrah for anonymous networks. anything to avoid paying for/maintaining my own infrastructure!
            though I suppose you'd probably want all this stuff supported by other quake engines too.
            [side note: there are supposed to be gateways for xmpp/jingle<->SIP to allow people to call internet(and sometimes regular) phones from their xmpp clients, and vice versa. I've never really looked for one though, they might all be commercial projects.]

mindz, tts_mode 2
            Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
              Does anyone know if "Voy-EE-P" is patented? As such like, if I said, "lemme voip my friend so he can explain it to you..." voip instead of "text", as a verb.

Because, if I win the next POWERBALL, i'm gonna buy Steam and add it; the ability to call your friend (even in-game) and ask them a question.
              i thought you could already do that.
              My Avatars!
              Quake Leagues
              Quake 1.5!!!
              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                once you have a voip encoder+decoder wired up to RTP, all you really need beyond that is some way to transfer SDP (or equivelent in the case of xmpp/jingle) between the two clients. I'm very tempted to hack up fte's irc client to do it, but I'm too lazy to get stuck in (and make the thing usable too).
                Someone could also set up an ejabberd server or something too (accounts and friends and other stuff makes UIs a bit annoying to maintain+test). So yeah, IRC. server+nickname+channel. and the server+channel can be defaulted, and the nick can be seeded by the user's name cvar. hurrah for anonymous networks. anything to avoid paying for/maintaining my own infrastructure!
                though I suppose you'd probably want all this stuff supported by other quake engines too.
                [side note: there are supposed to be gateways for xmpp/jingle<->SIP to allow people to call internet(and sometimes regular) phones from their xmpp clients, and vice versa. I've never really looked for one though, they might all be commercial projects.]

mindz, tts_mode 2
                If voip was enabled on the tg servers I frequent and had the guys willing to talkhax, we wouldn't be mashing team_say binds and flooding the game with text. haha

Comment

Working...
                X