DPNorm plug-in for GIMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPNorm plug-in for GIMP

This thread is speacially for modders and artists !

I use darkplaces, and I really like the norm_ and gloss_ mapping of the engine but the software to get both textures from a diffuse texture is sometimes silly to use, so I just re-write this script on python InsaneBump python-fu script for windows | GIMP Plugin Registry to get gloss and normal maps (in the same location and with correct names )of any texture with a few clicks

Installation:

NOTE: if you have normalmap plug-in go to step 2

1º Normalmap Installation (required):

Under WIndows
    download normalmap plug-in here

registry.gimp.org/files/gimp-normalmap-win32-1.2.1.zip

To install, extract the normalmap.exe file to your GIMP plugins directory.
    This directory is usually located at:
    C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Then extract the 3 dll files to your GIMP bin directory.
    C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin

Under Linux mint - Ubuntu

install from here, clicking "install" button

https://community.linuxmint.com/soft...gimp-normalmap

2º DpNorm plug-in installation:

Download DpNorm here

Under Windows

Extract the zip. It contains only one file: DpNorm.py

Install my script in your GIMP 2.8 plugins user-directory :
    1 - Display file becoming by . in the filemanager preference: Organize menu -> "search and directorys options" -> display -> "display hidden files and directory"
    2 - Copy my script here: userdirectory\ .GIMP-2.8\plug-ins

Under Linux mint - Ubuntu

Extract the zip. It contains only one file: DpNorm.py
    Place the file into the Gimp User Plugin Directory.
    On Linux Mint for My user which is nahuel:
    /home/nahuel/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins

Then make the file executable by right clicking, selecting “Properties” from the menue and activate “Execute” in the permissions tab.

Use:

Start Gimp!

The plugin is in
    Filters-->maps--> DpNorm

Enjoy the plug in
    Last edited by nahuel; 04-29-2016, 01:25 PM.
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Wow ... I will immediately try it!

very much appreciated and needed piece of code ... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Icaro View Post
      Wow ... I will immediately try it!

very much appreciated and needed piece of code ... Thanks!

please, report any bug!

this is a very early version, i am not a coder of python or gimp, i am just a fan of darkplaces !!

modify the code if you want!

syluxman2803

Comment

You are so talented, Nahuel. I have major major respect for anybody that will pick up a language they don't know and actually complete something with it. I don't really have a need for your plugin but, I am very impressed! Awesome job!

I tried to give you reps but it says I have to spread some around first.

edit: I'll download your plugin and audit it for bugs for you. I do program in python so I'll take a look at your script as well. I am only barely familiar with GiMP though.
        Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-29-2016, 02:13 AM.
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
          You are so talented, Nahuel. I have major major respect for anybody that will pick up a language they don't know and actually complete something with it. I don't really have a need for your plugin but, I am very impressed! Awesome job!

I tried to give you reps but it says I have to spread some around first.

edit: I'll download your plugin and audit it for bugs for you. I do program in python so I'll take a look at your script as well. I am only barely familiar with GiMP though.
          Thanks!! but i didnt modify the plug-in so much i just customize it to work without external dependencies, (so it will work with linux), fixed save names, and delete some unnecesary functions.

Gimp is really great!! thanks for your help testing!

syluxman2803

Comment

nahuel,

do you have a compiled version of the normalmap plugin for Gimp 2.8??

I´ve never in my life compiled a piece of software ... an it seems not straight forward!

Comment

Very intersting....
              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

nahuel,

do you have a compiled version of the normalmap plugin for Gimp 2.8??

I´ve never in my life compiled a piece of software ... an it seems not straight forward!
                Icaro, follow this instructiona.

1- Download the zip file for normalmap plug-in

https://code.google.com/archive/p/gi...lmap/downloads

2- install it

To install, extract the normalmap.exe file to your GIMP plugins directory.
                C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Then extract the 3 dll files to your GIMP bin directory.
                C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin

after this you can installl the DpNorm plug-in (see above), you do not need to compile DpNorm.py becaus it work as is

EDIT: Iedited the thread with detailed instructions to install the plug-ins
                Last edited by nahuel; 04-29-2016, 01:24 PM.

syluxman2803

Comment

Gimp is really great!! thanks for your help testing!
                  I stick by my peoples, bro. That being said I messed around with it for about an hour and I didn't notice anything buggy. I didn't bother to look at the script cause it seemed to run great. I was actually hoping it was a little buggy so I could troubleshoot some python.

You participate with me, I participate with you. It's like a religion for me.
                  http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

nahuel ... it works!! ---> I´m producing norm and gloss maps like popcorns!! (Seven's quote)

Comment

nahuel ... it works!! ---> I´m producing norm and gloss maps like popcorns!! (Seven's quote)
                      glad to hear it
                      play with the values, specially "bump intensity" value using, 1, 2 or 3 (4 is too high)

syluxman2803

Comment

Tomorrow I'll test it and I may postpone the release of Insomnia reforged update for this
                        Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
                          Tomorrow I'll test it and I may postpone the release of Insomnia reforged update for this
                          awesome!

a good feature, you can edit the texture to get a better normal mapping without save it.

syluxman2803

Comment

Working...
                          X