Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone show me to a Linux distro for noobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone show me to a Linux distro for noobs?

I wanted to try the Linux os out but there's so many different kinds and they all have a different function. Is there a good Linux os for newbies who haven't touched anything but Windows?

I'm not the biggest expert on this topic, but I've messed around with SUSE. http://www.planetsuse.org/

The GUI is pretty good, but drivers were an issue. You have to self-serve drivers for things like your wireless card, etc.

You should wait until someone more experienced in Linux then myself posts, heh
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

The best decision I can make for you is to use Ubuntu. I've used RedHat, Fedora, Suse, etc and they all gave me problems with wireless (linux + wireless has been a long term issue). But when I installed Ubuntu, it felt that the 5 hours I put into configging Fedora Core 4 was DONE FOR ME in 5 minutes by Ubuntu. You can also go with Kubuntu which is just abother OS style for Ubuntu (Gnome vs KDE).

But if you just want to test out linux then just get a Live CD linux OS so you only have to load it from the CD without installing anything.

Comment

Is Linux supposed to be better than windows? What are the differences? I'm just wondering... Not like I would ever stray from Windows. Unless my Dad gets really pissed off at the comp one day.

Comment

Windows XP Home - $198.00
          Windows XP Professional OEM - $187.82
          All the latest and greatest games for Windows - Around $50 a pop
          Bill Gate's daily income $10,000,000 a day (Assumption)
          YOUR income after buying all this - $000,000,000.25 (Assumption)

SUSE 10.1 Linux Distro - PRICELESS.
          Learning how program your personal computer and make it function as YOU want it to for personalized user-friendly operations - Priceless

Spending all that money you saved by going Linux on a nice piece of jewlery for your wifey or girlfriend - Smart move (possible priceless if you play your cards right

Never ever. evereverevereverever see the Blue Screen Of Death a.k.a BSOD - Priceless.

Standing up and telling Bill Gates "GET YO LIL BITCH ASS HANDS OUT MY POCKETS! BEFOR I CALL OUT THE PENGUIN SQUAD HO!" - Priceless

FREE software for your FREE OS - Priceless.

I have something to confess as a matter of fact. When I was younger I stole a copy of Redhat Linux from my local book store deliberatly, this really doesn't make much sense to me now why I stole it. Because you can get every Linux Distro for FREE, and its truley YOURS customized how you want it, Not just (Windows XP blue theme, Oscar theme or Classic Windows.) if you ever want to learn something useful, grab a copy of Linux and wipe windows out completely or do a dual boot theme (Linux/Windows on same computer) then just mess around with Linux and attempt to fix any small problems, issues you might have with it so learn the basics then work your way up.

Theres definitly WAY TO MUCH to do in Linux for a normal casual PC user (email, MS word) to comprehend but its not possible to learn thats the reason God gave us the brain capacity to learn how to create the dirty bomb, H bomb, Nuclear explosives and Quake.

I am a Linux newbie myself, I've used Redhat Mandrake, Zipslack, SUSE 10.1 & Lindows, about every 3-5 months I break down and gotta have Linux, just to learn or play or program or just be hella '1337' because I run Linux and you only run Windows XP which is just Windows XP. Linux can be damn near anything and really opens up your computer's potential.

It also helps with hairloss!
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I once got the black screen of death on linux. It went completely black and nothing would happen. I totally crashed it

Comment

I have never gotten the blue screen of death on XP. I used to always get it on ME, though.

Comment

If you want to try Linux, try knoppix. You can boot ff the CD and play with Linux all day and then take the CD out and go back to your Windoze. Personally, I grew up with Unix and then the varying flavors of Linux, Debian being my last...I still manage many Unix/Linux boxes, but I would not go with it on my gaming machine. Some people like to do that, but it's more work than I want to put into my machine. XP has worked flawlessly since I installed it 3 or 4 years ago.:d

Come visit us: www.etfellowship.com

Comment

Working...
                X