I was "Kind of" scammed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was "Kind of" scammed.

I say "kind of" because it really was all legal. But the way it was done is really scammy.

If you get a little postcard from something called "IMS", that has a smiley face on it and says "We Have Good News!!", DON'T CALL THEM!

I came home yesterday and my mom gave me the card and insisted that I call them (so it was partly her fault I got in this mess). The card says very little about what it's about so it makes you interested. I called and they told me about how I could win a million dollars in a sweepstakes. Then they go on to tell me I get a shopping spree and some free magazines, but I have to pay for two magazines that they want to circulate. So the magazines are $3 a piece, and then they go on to say "We'll lump this up for you" and say that it's at $16 a month. But wait, here's more - they tell me the duration of the deal is 60 months, and I can pay that all off NOW at the super-duper low price of only 20 PAYMENTS OF $49!!!

Of course at the time I couldn't say no, and when I hang up I realize they're asking for $1000 from me. For fucking magazines!

I don't have that kind of money to waste on some bullshit, so mom tries to call them back while I'm away from the house and they won't talk to her because it's in my name.

So I call back and my order hasn't been put into the system, I kept getting "Order not found. PLEASE TRY AGAIN!". The lady was nice though, didn't complain or anything. So today I went in and my order was available so I clicked "cancel".

"YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN CANCELLED BUT IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO CHANGE YOUR MIND. JUST RETURN TO THE SITE, ENTER YOUR PIN AND CLICK "PLEASE CHANGE MY ORDER TO THE TWO YEAR SERVICE AND SEND ME BOTH GIFTS." IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY OVERRIDE THIS CANCELLATION.

PLEASE GIVE US A CHANCE AND WE'LL PROVE HOW GOOD WE ARE.

THANK YOU"

I clicked "No, Fuck you!"

Anyway I've gotta run by the bank and let them know so that I don't start getting $50 payments removed from my account.

That is the one good law that was passed. Although I don't know if it was passed for every state. It pertained to door to door sales. Which now extends to those nice little post cards you get. It does not pertain to actually going to the business like Carpet Sales etc. Only via phone or door/door. But you have a 3 day grace from accepting an offer to call and refuse that same offer.
    www.Net-Tyme.com
    Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
    Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Originally posted by QuadRaptor View Post
      The card says very little about what it's about so it makes you interested. I called and they told me about how I could win a million dollars in a sweepstakes. Then they go on to tell me I get a shopping spree and some free magazines
      After the word "win", you should have stopped reading and threw it away.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

The card didn't say anything about winning anything. It simply said, "We have good news, call us at..." and so on.

And like I said, my mom urged me to call them so it's really her fault.

Comment

/points finger

Now let that be a lesson to you.

One thing my father told me that I always remember. He said, "Son, there's a sucker born everyday". I didn't quite understand what he meant. Lets just say I learned just about the same way you did.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
            /points finger

Now let that be a lesson to you.

One thing my father told me that I always remember. He said, "Son, there's a sucker born everyday". I didn't quite understand what he meant. Lets just say I learned just about the same way you did.
            I love your father!

Comment

Working...
            X