No announcement yet.

What are you listening to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic music. Gustav Holst is also nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs
    I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
    My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

• If you heard this song back in the day, there's probably a better than 60% chance there was a stripper dancing between your legs while it played. Am I right?

Comment

• Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! on NPR

Comment

• In memory of Uncle Charlie.

A song I wrote some years back about the Manson murders.

Comment

• System Of A Down - Aerials

Comment

• Slayer It's raining Blood Uberbrutal edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2DhUhWJ68w
              I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
              My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

• I just had a dream with this song playing in the background.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nxQLJmshak
                the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

• Focalor ~ The vocals are a little shitty IMO but otherwise that song you wrote is pretty damn good. I bet the vocals could be fixed with some overdubs though. They just sounded stale and flat. With some more depth they would probably be fine. You need some screams in there too.
                  http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• I know. The software I used was Sonic Foundry ACID Music 2.0 which came out in probably 1998, and this recording was done in 2008 I think. The drums sucked. I took single shot wav files for each and every kick drum, tom, snare, and cymbal and arranged them in a series of several tracks, so the rhythmic open hi-hat cymbals all sound the same and terrible, and every snare hit sounds exactly the same and quite unnatural. Whenever I get around to writing and recording anything new, I already have a copy of Addictive Drums 2, so I should be able to create very natural sounding drums now... if I can ever figure out how to use it. Downloaded it, installed it, fucked around with it for 10 minutes, and never really dug into how to use it within Acid Pro 7, which I really don't know how to use yet either. Honestly, I had a vivid idea in my head of what I wanted that song to sound like, and when I got into arranging the drums and recording guitar tracks, I got really lazy and blew through it as fast as I could. The chorus sounds NOTHING like what I intended. The vocals in the chorus were supposed to be more like a harmonized kinda thing, but I rushed it and did the vocals in one or two takes and said "fuck it, good enough" and the end result was the cacophonous pitch shifted lame bullshit you heard.

Still, not bad for a song recorded in Acid Music 2.0 on a Win98 machine using a little stereo cord directly from my rackmount guitar amp rig straight into the SoundBlaster sound card. And the vocals... well I didn't use a "real" mic. I used a little shitty PC mic that I think came with an old Win95 PC I used to have. It's a TERRIBLE mic. I have an old sheet music stand that I took the top tray off of, then took a little piece of copper refrigerant tubing and pinched one end closed with pliers, and jammed the pinched end down into the tubing on the sheet music stand, then jammed the little mic into that pipe, then I took a wire coat hanger and bent the hook to fit into the pipe above the mic and I draped a t-shirt over the hanger to act as a pop-screen in front of the mic. Redneck as fuck. And yeah, being that it was a shitty 90's PC mic plugged into the mic jack on my shitty 90's PC, the sound was flat and lo-fi as fuck like talking through a telephone. So all the vocal tracks I ran through an EQ effect to boost the midrange and bass and make it at least SOMEWHAT more lively sounding.

I've tried doing my old school rackmount rig direct into the PC via a stereo plug into the sound card, but it doesn't record it so great. There's weird noises from the CPU and hard disk running that create faint SHIT in the background. From what I can tell, I guess most folks are using these separate USB audio interfaces in order to get the cleanest sound possible. Focusrite makes these Scarlett series audio interface boxes that seem to be very popular, but they also make a Clarett series which costs twice as much but it has an onboard mic preamp emulator or something that really warms and fattens up the sounds coming through it, especially vocals. Gonna try to find a decent used one for 300 if I can, certainly don't wanna pay 500 for it if I don't have to.

I've also been rethinking the way I record guitars. It seems like it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to capture the big fat Marshall hi-gain sound going direct out. I've got a Marshall JMP1 tube preamp with a Digitech GSP2101 tube preamp/effects processor which I always have set to run on the "clean tube" preamp setting to further fatten up and tube-ify the Marshall JMP1, and that runs into the MOTHER OF ALL TUBE POWERAMPS, a Peavey Classic Series 120/120 dual mono tube poweramp (which operates on 8 6L6 power tubes and 6 12ax7 tubes - dunno why it has preamp tubes), and this motherfucker weighs every bit of 80 fuckin' pounds. My rack is god damn BITCH to move. Anyway's one of the reasons I chose that poweramp was because it had line out outputs for each of the two channels, so I could use it basically as two poweramps in a live situation to drive two cabs running stereo effects, AND I could record the same way with it. Well... it sounds like shit. It doesn't matter how I route anything, it always sounds bad. With the poweramp included in the chain, it adds a very ugly top end sizzle to everything and NOTHING ELSE. So I don't even hook it up. And without it, I still don't quite get that Marshall white hot tube sound. There's really only one way to achieve it... mic a cabinet.

That means I'll need a cabinet. Yeah, I never got around to buying one. And it's not so easy to find a 2x12 cab that can run 2 inputs pumping 120watts each. I'm gonna have to buy a 2x12 cab with a stereo switch on the back, rip out the speakers (which will almost guaranteed be less than 120w rms), and put in something else like some 120w Eminence Man o' War's. I could always get a Marshall 1960 cab which is usually stereo ins with 300w total capacity, but I was hoping to keep it small and managable with a 2x12. Most likely gonna try to buy a VHT 2x12 open back stereo cab. Most folks prefer closed back cabs, but I'd rather have an open back so I can mic the front AND rear of the cab simultaneously. Apparently that's exactly what Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains did on Facelift and Dirt to get his big sound.
                    Last edited by Focalor; 01-03-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Focalor

I have an old copy of fruityloops 7 pro and "the drumkit from hell" once combined you can get amazing drums. FL7 (or maybe I have 9) is super easy to use. The DKFH is actually like 10 different drum kits where each piece of each kit was hit with increasing amounts of force, right and left (hand/foot)ed and professionally recorded. Combine that with some simple fruityloops effects and you can pretty much get whatever you want out of it. If you want to check it out I could upload it to Google drive (I maybe already did) and send you a link.

Comment

• Pantera
                        Iron Maiden
                        Metallica
                        Slash
                        Pink Floyd
                        Queen
                        Black Sabbath
                        Bon Jovi
                        - bullet force -

Comment

• Clearly a spambot. But just in case it's human generated spam, allow me to retort and pinpoint the fallacies. Not that you'll learn from it or see the error of your ways, stop posting spam for fractions of pennies per post, and go get a REAL job.

Slash is a band? No. He's just a nasty unwashed mulatto alcoholic guitarist who co-wrote a couple of half-memorable songs when he peaked from 87 until 91.

And who the fuck likes both Pantera AND Bon Jovi? It's not 1987 anymore. Nobody who doesn't possess a vagina or a propensity for homosexual behavior likes Bon fuckin' Jovi.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your pubic hair and may you get herpes from a toilet seat at the mall.

Comment

• ANY DAMN WAY...

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                            Focalor

I have an old copy of fruityloops 7 pro and "the drumkit from hell" once combined you can get amazing drums. FL7 (or maybe I have 9) is super easy to use. The DKFH is actually like 10 different drum kits where each piece of each kit was hit with increasing amounts of force, right and left (hand/foot)ed and professionally recorded. Combine that with some simple fruityloops effects and you can pretty much get whatever you want out of it. If you want to check it out I could upload it to Google drive (I maybe already did) and send you a link.
                            If each hit is it's own single file and it's all in WAV format (or mp3 or something common that I could convert through AVS Audio Converter)... fuck yeah, I could always use that.

Comment

• Focalor

Yes it's all single files in I believe wav format. Let me get to a coffee shop or something to upload it. It's huge and I don't want to burn up my hotspot over this. Maybe I'll go to the CS to today.

Regarding your other post. I love Pantera, have everything by them and can even play a bunch of it on guitar and bass. I would totally listen to some Bon Jovi. Why not? He wrote some good tunes for his genre. "I listen to X so I can't listen to Y" is silly. It's like saying "I wear boots so I can't wear tennis shoes". Versatility gives you more options.

Would you pass up all the tail at a Bon Jovi concert because you have to listen to Bon Jovi to get it? I bet you would figure out real damn fast how to love the hell out of some Bon Jovi. I'd show up already knowing how to play 5 or 6 of his songs fir the after party that will appear at my house when the bars close.

Bon Jovi is waaaaay better than that Christmas album you posted.
                              Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-13-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Focalor

When I first got this sound bank it was split into kits. This was not ideal for how I intended to use it so I reorganized everything into the type of piece it was. I never saved the original organization structure. Filenames give away what the sound is and how it was made. If you see something like "c20 CshRd B02" that means a 20 inch crash ride cymbal was hit on the bell with a power of 2. Of course L's and R's indicate left and right hand/foot. There are other "codes". For instance Sd for a snare sound would mean it was hit on the rim (IIRC). In some (maybe even many) cases sounds are categorized into sub subdirectories that even indicate the brand name of the piece. This is not always true. In many cases cymbals are simply lumped into a subdirectory by type. If I am not mistaken the sounds are professionally recorded "raw" and it is up to you to create depth by adding reverb, stereo separation, etc... IMO that is preferable.

The file was not as big as I remembered (1/4 gig). So you wouldn't have to wait for me to go to a coffee shop I moved it from an external drive to my computer, from my computer to my phone's SD card and uploaded from there to GDrive. Doing it that way didn't use any of my hotspot data. I have unlimited bandwidth for regular data.

All sounds are in .wav format and to my knowledge none of them have been modified in any way from the original studio recording. A friend of mine made an entire death metal album with this sound bank and the results were very organic with a production value rivaling Pantera's Far Beyond Driven album. As far as I am concerned that should be proof enough that you can definitely get "a real drummer" out of this sound bank.

The library is extensive, professionally recorded and covers pretty much all major drum brands maxed out with all available pieces (IIRC there are even chimes, gongs, etc). If you counted every piece without including the power it was hit by or special hits like the bell on a cymbal this would be equivalent to using somewhere around a 60 or 70 piece kit. Have fun.

The Drumkit From Hell ~ google drive
                                Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-13-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X