Linux Compile Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Compile Help

I'm walking down the path of trying to build ProQuake on Linux.

I need some REALLY newbie help getting the basics setup. After that I'll be fine.

I need to build sqpro (aka the software version), but first I need to get it running and I'm not there yet.

I've got svgalib downloaded an untarred. How do I install it? I have the files sitting in quake/lib and I need them in /lib, but you can't copy stuff in there directly.

I used to use Linux on the command line fairly frequently via SSH, now I can't remember.

/I feel as dumb as asking how to switch to shotgun, but I can't remember. And Google is failing me.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

It's a little late for me to be thinking about what exactly what you have to do but here are my tips:

read the install file if there is one. Look for how to compile/install. It should be something like this:
    ./configure
    ./make
    ./make install

are you having trouble installing svgalib? Do what I specified above. Or are you just trying to move it to /lib? Get root access using su or sudo <command>.

(COPY) cp <file> <destination>
    (MOVE = cut and paste) mv <file> <destination>

This thread helped me get sqpro working on linux.
    http://forums.runecentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=970

What distro are you using? What version of svgalib are you trying to install?

Best of luck Green.

Comment

I'm using svgalib 1.4.3, I'll try 1.9 if I have to.

Thanks for info, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

I'm using Damn Small Linux.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        I'm using Damn Small Linux.
        OOOOF!!! You're going to have a lot of fun with that. Be prepared to install other libraries in order to install svgalib

Comment

True

Did you need to install libc.so.5 to get ProQuake to run in your 2006 thread at RuneCentral? I'm not exactly sure where to find this and there are different versions of it. I'm not sure I can hope that any given i586 version of the library is going to work with Damn Small Linux (or will it?)

Under Ubuntu, does libc.so.5 come with it?

If I self-compile svgalib myself, can I get it to use libc 6?

/I'll be working on this more tomorrow. This libc5/6 thing is giving me some insight. Very interesting in a way. But I can't wait to get past this stuff.
          Last edited by Baker; 01-14-2008, 03:04 AM.

Comment

u guys seen QuakeX on the xbox linux modchip?
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=mGo3r7GybIY

Comment

I would recommend Ubuntu or Kubuntu since it has a vast packaging server. "apt-get install synaptic" is your friend. Ubuntu might not come with the libraries you need but you can most likely install them easily using apt-get.

Comment

Yes, don't use a distro meant as live-CD for software development.
                As DSL is debian though, it has apt-get (or my preference: aptitude) for installing things too.

If something needs a libsomething.so.X but you only have libsomething.so.Y you can always try making a symlink. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ln_%28Unix%29
                Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                  As DSL is debian though, it has apt-get (or my preference: aptitude) for installing things too.
                  Most of the apt-get downloads either corrupt your package manager or don't work with DSL :/ I kind of hate DSL. It's so incredibly useless unless you spend a large amount of time configuring it and by then you ask yourself, "Why didn't I just install Ubuntu?".

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                    True

Did you need to install libc.so.5 to get ProQuake to run in your 2006 thread at RuneCentral? I'm not exactly sure where to find this and there are different versions of it. I'm not sure I can hope that any given i586 version of the library is going to work with Damn Small Linux (or will it?)

Under Ubuntu, does libc.so.5 come with it?

If I self-compile svgalib myself, can I get it to use libc 6?

/I'll be working on this more tomorrow. This libc5/6 thing is giving me some insight. Very interesting in a way. But I can't wait to get past this stuff.
                    Any recent version of libc should work. I'm suprised this is even an issue. If you're using a modern linux, the libc that comes with it should be fine. Also, I made a Makefile for your latest pq based in the GNU autotools system, so compiling your pq is as easy as: ./configure ; make. Let me know if you want the files.

As Sniper said, you might want to use Ubuntu or something since it should have everything you need out of the box.
                    "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
                      Yes, don't use a distro meant as live-CD for software development.
                      If you mean one of those bootable from the CD ones, I'm not. I have a dedicated desktop for this, but I couldn't get Ubuntu to install on it.

Originally posted by mithril View Post
                      Any recent version of libc should work. I'm suprised this is even an issue. If you're using a modern linux, the libc that comes with it should be fine.
                      This might end up being true. This is really my first true experience with desktop Linux. I've messed around with Knoppix, Suse and Ubuntu in the past a little just to see what I thought of it.

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
                      Most of the apt-get downloads either corrupt your package manager or don't work with DSL :/ I kind of hate DSL. It's so incredibly useless unless you spend a large amount of time configuring it and by then you ask yourself, "Why didn't I just install Ubuntu?".
                      If I can't get this to work quickly, I probably will switch to Ubuntu. The part that sucks about this is that I'll need to upgrade that desktop to meet the minimum requirements for Ubuntu.

I hope DSL works, but if I can't I'll just upgrade the machine and install Ubuntu. The part of this that sucks is that I'll have to delay this a little if I can't get DSL to work.

Comment

You could try Xubuntu which has much lower requirements (and is much faster and nicer anyways). Or simply a nifty Debian without all the blingbling.
                        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

My p1 can only run DSL so I know how Baker feels about Ubuntu not working. Not even nUbuntu or Xubuntu like my p1 :/

Comment

This has not been fun, but it looks like Xubuntu is going to finally install.

I can't believe this has taken at least 4 attempts and countless hours (several times it took what seemed like a couple of hours to get stuck on something or have a weird error), but once it's done at least I'll have a setup that can be related to.

Comment

Uhhh. Why are you trying to build svgalib proquake? Nobody uses that anymore.

winquake = quake.x11
                              glquake = quake.glx (or similar)

SVGAlib is like Dosquake!

Try to compile proquake.x11 or whatever that is called. On $ubuntu, which is debian, you will probably need the X11 or xorg development packages installed. I have no problem compiling PQ 3.50 for X11, so try starting there?

You have gcc installed right?

which gcc
                              gcc --version (or gcc -v)
                              make

should all give some reasonable output. You should do all this as root (root = administrator).

Look at the Makefile and try to figure that out (there is one, right?)

To compile, you should just need to make your code changes, adjust the Makefile targets if you added/removed any files, and then run "make".

There is no configure script for any Quake engine that I'm aware of, just Makefiles. Configure scripts autoconfigure Makefiles, but in Quake's case you'll have to do that by hand (easier IMHO).

If the Makefile provides for an "install" target, you can do "make install" and your stuff will get installed to /usr/local or whatever. You probably don't want that. You just want the executables, which you'll then drop into your Quake dir. To start over fresh, do "make clean" which will delete all .o files etc.

Do NOT change CFLAGS or the like in the Makefile!

Just "make" is usually enough.

cd proquake-blah
                              make

-> read error messages, correct errors, then re-make.

Hint: You should not use any Win-specific (nonstandard) C functions... Windows development software tends to insert those without further notice, which makes the resulting code non-crossplatform. Also look at #ifdef WIN32 and the like, or more exactly, missing #ifdefs... look at Joequake and Tyrquake if you have doubts.

Once it compiles, grab the executable and dump it into the Quake folder. No installation necessary.

You can e-mail me if you want, I'm rather busy so not checking here often. I'm myself hacking on an engine in Linux atm. I read my email often, unlike forums (apart from func_). I'd be glad to help and bugtest for you.
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X