No announcement yet.

Computer Help - PC Boots for 5 seconds and shuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might have to reinstall your OS, unless you're effecient with OS repairing, then use your repair disk.

You didn't pull off any jumpers did you? also maybe try clearing your BIOS, this will erase your current BIOS settings and clear the CMOS at the same time. You will have to go back into your BIOS once you clear it and reset stuff. there should be a jumper on your motherboard which you can clear your BIOS with..

mainly it looks like (on the motherboard) this..

Lines = pins
    brackets = connectors
    [|] [|] | <-save bios

| [|] [|] <-clear bios

if you switch it to clear bios, don't turn your PC on while its set to clear BIOS.

let it set for about a minute, *pull your motherboard battery out if you want to go an extra step*, reinsert your motherboard battery and switch the clear bios jumper back to save bios. then try and turn your PC on.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

All the fans are spinning. I just turned it back on and went into BIOS. The CPU temp is hovering between 23-24C and mb temp is 30C.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
        All the fans are spinning. I just turned it back on and went into BIOS. The CPU temp is hovering between 23-24C and mb temp is 30C.
        Your temps are good, what size power supply are you u sing? also check your voltages in your BIOS, and post them here please
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Comment

As I'm sitting on the temp monitor in BIOS the system froze.

It seems to not load after freezing like that. If I do a hard boot right away it tells me the BIOS version and the processor info and then nothing else appears on the screen.
          Last edited by Solecord; 06-14-2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

As I'm sitting on the temp monitor in BIOS the system froze.

It seems to not load after freezing like that. If I do a hard boot right away it tells me the BIOS version and the processor info and then nothing else appears on the screen.
            What are the full system specs?
            MotherboardBIOS ver.
            CPU type
            RAM
            any addon card
            and how many USB slots do you have and where are they located? (back of motherboard, front of PC etc..)
            QuakeOne.com
            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
            Great Quake engine

Comment

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6750 at 2.67GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4M Cache

Tagan TG1100-U96 TurboJet nVidia-SLI Certified 1100Watt Power Supply

Asus P5N32-E-SLI NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 16 X 2 Intel Quad Core Read

2GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 X 1024MB)

3 harddrives

nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB Xtreme Edition

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Vigor MonsoonTM II TEC Active CPU Cooling System with LCD Display and Triple 120MM Case Fan

4 USB in front of PC and 4 in back.

BIOS - Phoenix AwardBIOS version 1403.
              NEC Internal AD7170A 18X Dual Layer DVD+/- RW + CDRW

Not that it's gonna help but here are some photos of my mb in the case:

http://www.quakeone.com/sole/

This is just more me playing with my new camera I bought Friday
              Last edited by Solecord; 06-14-2008, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Try running the PC with only the CPU+heatsink installed.

If it stays on, add ram, then video card etc...

This is sounding most likely to be hardware malfunction.
                QuakeOne.com
                Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                Great Quake engine

Comment

Dude, don't spend any money yet. When removing a CPU, it's nice to give it a fresh coat of thermal grease, but it's NOT absolutely necessary. Like everyone said, unplug everything but the CPU and ram and see if it runs stable. If not, then re-seat the CPU and RAM. Just take them out and put them back in. This could fix your problems.

As far as your card reader/floppy, these things usually don't have ribbon cables unless your system is a pre-build by HP or Sony or something. Typically they just have a 4-pin connector for the internal USB headers on the motherboard. If the cable has 4 wires on it, then it's easy to hook up. Look for the USB connector on the motherboard, there should be 9 pins there in 2 rows like so:

Don't worry about the 9th pin (#5 in layout above), it's never used. Connect the cables like so:

1. + 5V (red)
                  2. USB - (white)
                  3. USB + (green)
                  4. Ground (black)

Comment

Ok an update: as of now it's up and running. I cleared my BIOS via the jumpers and everything seems to be working fine right now. One thing of note is I have 2GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D DDR2 1066MHz Memory. Per the specs of the RAM it should be using 2.1V. After clearing the BIOS it reset the RAM volts to 1.9V. Should I leave it at 1.9V or change it to 2.1? Same with the timings? It's currently reset to AUTO for all the timings. Should I switch those to 5-5-5-15 per the RAM docs?

Comment

Ok an update: as of now it's up and running. I cleared my BIOS via the jumpers and everything seems to be working fine right now. One thing of note is I have 2GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D DDR2 1066MHz Memory. Per the specs of the RAM it should be using 2.1V. After clearing the BIOS it reset the RAM volts to 1.9V. Should I leave it at 1.9V or change it to 2.1? Same with the timings? It's currently reset to AUTO for all the timings. Should I switch those to 5-5-5-15 per the RAM docs?
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
                      QuakeOne.com
                      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                      Great Quake engine

Comment

Ok

Comment

Working...
                        X