Why 2006 rocked for Quake; Now is Age of the Toaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    My point was that things like the above are a lot less likely to happen.

In the past, neat engines would pop up out of seemingly nowhere like Tremor, AMFQuake, VengeanceR2.

That isn't going to happen any more. Neat things aren't going to surprise people out of the blue due to talent emigration.
    Concerning this point, I disagree; the talent is there, it just doesn't think those things are cool/desirable/necessary. There are a lot of holy cows in Quake.

I have to say Quoth has really added some extra dimension and probably breathed some new life into creative stuff happening. I'm a little leery of the those new enforcers in Quoth2, but maybe a map will happen that uses them well.
    I think that's kind of a honeymoon effect where the new features are just overused. Some maps are crammed full of defenders and eliminators, which makes the going a bit rough. The playtesters have some unreal skill (look at Sielwolf demos etc) and in-deep knowledge of game/monster behaviour, so the "problem" isn't really recognized. And the mappers just know the map, and routinely use the secrets to armor up which a new player might not immediately find.

Multiplayer could use a Quoth type expansion project, really.
    you mean new features?

Well, you disagreed with me and then you said exactly my point indirectly.
    almost, yes. OK.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I think there just aren't enough ppl now for increased diversity to be viable.

Comment

that's a vicious circle then.

I think it's not only graphics, easy install or accessibility that deter people from Quake or other older games. Although that's often heard ("gamers want the latest eyecandy") there must be other reasons. Like (multiplayer) gameplay.

they can't all be idiots. There must be something else than gfx. (Quake 3 is old by now, too.)

?
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

i think its just a matter of quake being a game of a past generation.. its 12 years old by now.. kids these days just don't know it even exists.....

Comment

In which case perhaps it might be advisable to canvass the views of some of our younger players to see what attracted them and what they think would attract a greater audience of their age group to Quake. Let's hear from people like Foq, RocketGuy, Gamefreak and Co to see what they think would entice their peers to come and join the fun.

Perhaps we could also spare a thought for ways of tempting the older age group back in to Quake who may have got disgruntled with it and moved on.

Kind regards

Monty
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by =peg= View Post
              i think its just a matter of quake being a game of a past generation.. its 12 years old by now.. kids these days just don't know it even exists.....
              I'm 24, grew up playing this game and the previous id games, my first been Keen. I let my little brother play these great old games. I get it to spread. People do like the game, but like you said they don't exsist.

Comment

good job! spread the word!

in Europe we have at least one 14 year old who got into quake via his dad, so it works!

Comment

I know what would work but I doubt IDsoftware would do this. If we got a working engine out that maximised the games looks and feel then added in a few extras like chooseing between player models male and female and makeing it more customisable then we could get ID to ship it in its new state. The game would look new and play like a new game but still utaliseing the old base code and still be as mapable and customisable.

New maps added, new high rez textures, new engione... Why mess with the old when it can just be polished up a bit? And people would play it like it was a new game if thay just pick it up off the shelves.

Comment

hehe and name it ekuQ and they will never know its the game they [the consumer about 14-15 yrs old] have been neglecting

wahaha

Comment

Originally posted by =peg= View Post
                      good job! spread the word!

in Europe we have at least one 14 year old who got into quake via his dad, so it works!

And one 11 year old too who also happens to be a founder member of the Peg fan club!
                      Mr.Burns
                      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
                      X