X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome: A new web browser

http://www.google.com/chrome

Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari and now this new one. :d
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I just don't know yet. Part of me is a nut for google's tasty apps, but this one feels superfluous. It's like they took an application everybody and their neighbor's dog is already comfortable with, and over-easy-ed it.

It sure does look sexy, and the welcome page is kind of nice, but really what does it do to make web browsing easier or more fun?

Comment

yeash

yeah

Comment

Well each tab is independant of one another so if you have some rogue javascript causing problems, it will only crash one tab versus the entire program.

I downloaded it but am not so sure about it yet. I'll probably stick with Firefox for now. It does look nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
          Well each tab is independant of one another so if you have some rogue javascript causing problems, it will only crash one tab versus the entire program.
          *cough*
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26 View Post
            I just don't know yet. Part of me is a nut for google's tasty apps, but this one feels superfluous. It's like they took an application everybody and their neighbor's dog is already comfortable with, and over-easy-ed it.

It sure does look sexy, and the welcome page is kind of nice, but really what does it do to make web browsing easier or more fun?
            I'm perfectly happy with what I use, but I understand the ultimate goals of this and I understand the ultimate impacts of this.

Some of it goes like this:

1. Since this will be open source, Google's investment in this will be similar to IBM having staff that works on Linux in that professional high-expertise programmers will be contributing a lot of time and effort.

2. I know for Google this is about browsers working fast and effectively with their web "applications". I think they want to make things more complex than Google Maps, etc. but current browsers have weaknesses/bugs or lack of compliance with standards or lack of support for the cutting-edge specifications and so they can't do it.

3. Google having their own browser, and it will get 5-10% marketshare easily you would think, it something to consolidate their dominance of search. Yahoo doesn't have it's own browser.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I'm very interested in this browser so I've been doing a lot of reading on Chrome. From everything I've gathered, the speculation is that this is not supposed to be a replacement for current web browsers. Rather, it is supposed to be a base for standalone web applications. It's a platform for developing web applications.

It does have extreme potential though. It seems to load a lot of pages much quicker than Firefox does. I'm growing to like it however I'm still unsure if it will be a replacement to Firefox for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                From everything I've gathered, the speculation is that this is not supposed to be a replacement for current web browsers. Rather, it is supposed to be a base for standalone web applications. It's a platform for developing web applications.
                I think the whole world knows this is a trojan horse for Google to go after Microsoft Office.

Microsoft makes their money on Windows and Office and Google has invested a lot of time and energy on web-based Office-like stuff.

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/index.html

I think they are going to try to grow the user base of Chrome as they refine it and then one day it will gradually auto-update to be a Microsoft Office-killer.

Comment

On a vaguely related note, I's like to plug a fun thing I'm doing right now some quakers/googlers might have interest in.

I've ported the q3a Rocket launcher to google sketchup, scaled it to human size and provided measurement readouts for those crafty hands-on folks who'd like to try making their very own real-life Rocketlauncher using various jugs, tubes, and materials. Me and my girl are giving this a go at the moment (our first attempt has ended in poorly-shapen failure though)

So stop by my booth (The Director's Chair) at Qexpo and download it, and tell me Is there a demand for more of these?

Comment

nailguns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    [YES those WERE NEEDED]
                    Last edited by metchsteekle; 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM. Reason: dident expect them to streach the whole damn page

Comment

DELIVERED!
                      http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/booth.php?id=175&page=318

Comment

Working...
                      X