The words "gay" and "***"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The words "gay" and "***"

I might catch some flak for this post, but I've never been afraid to raise questions like this before and I'm not going to stop now.

Most people use the words "gay" and "***" as more quality substitutes for "lame" and "a lamer".

South Park uses expressions like "That's totally gay, Cartman!"

There is even debate, I heard, in San Francisco and such places over the word. It is kind of like when a TV series gets permission to use the word "shit" on TV. There is no good substitute for the word "shit".

I think when you go back to origins of these words, gay means happy and *** means a cigarette butt.

So ... here is a question ... when/if you use or hear this term used, do you view/use it as offensive to a group of people or do you use it/interpret it as word to describe someone's play as really being a lamer or playing like an ass?

Btw ... for me personally, I try to avoid using those words just because someone said once they view those words as offensive. However, sometimes there are no better words that actually can serve as subsititutes.
    It is being used to describe lame/uncool behavior.
    66.67%
    You view it as insensitive to a group of people.
    0.00%
    Both
    33.33%
    Hadn't thought about it
    0.00%
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I voted for lame / lamer type instances.
    I have a bind for "Gaaaaaaaaay" , which is happily located waaaaay across the keyboard on the ] button,and its rarely used (unless im playing against tical or krix type players)

In my honest opinion , anyone who is easily offended by the type of words like gay and *** needs to check their priorities.This game is meant to be fun,it comes in many flavors of fun.Like clan's,some people see them pointless some people see them as fun. Some people trash talk in well mannered forms , like Mark of CTF/CA . he usually says "Take it" . WTF That means?I dont know,but he usually says it once he just won the round for his team/himself.

I myself,wont hesitate to call you anything from a FUCKING MERMAID (CA players,Dm3 Water SLUTS!!!) onward to quick FU's haha. Normally dont trash talk players I dont know,or dont call them anything. When I know the player really well,I dont hesitate,it's just showin some love-hate type shit 4 the bastard who just pwned me
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

< loool i get that all the time i wonder why!!!!!

Comment

These are actually tame to what is said in the game.
        www.Net-Tyme.com
        Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
        Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

I actually really hate it when people use gay or *** as an insult (even though the second one IS a really bad insult, more of a slur) because I find it personally offensive, and just stupid. I dont care if you use gay to describe someone who is homosexual, but as an insult it's very insulting, at least to me.
          "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

The best way to counter these is just simply ignore and adapt to the nature of the internet and not take insults seriously - yes, not even a ip ban with a long string of personal insults can move me one bit.

Comment

Yep lame/lame acts stuff. Even thou I don't really use it that much, except some asshole that calls be a bot makes me feel like kicking their ass.

Comment

This is so gay.

Comment

Hey Baker, you forgot to add something in the poll.

Used to describe a person/people who are/is homosexual.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
                    Hey Baker, you forgot to add something in the poll.

Used to describe a person/people who are/is homosexual.
                    ya and why don't you allow people to see what others voted for while you're at it...

lol

Comment

Working...
                    X