Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bitcoin mining

anyone doing this? discussion encouraged
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Bitcoin
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. You can assist by editing it. (June 2011)
    Bitcoin Bitcoin logo.svg
    Bitcoin-0.3.23-ubuntu.png
    The official Bitcoin client
    Developer(s) Satoshi Nakamoto (inactive, probably a pseudonym[citation needed]), Gavin Andresen, Pieter Wuille, Nils Schneider, Jeff Garzik
    Initial release February 4, 2009[citation needed]
    Preview release 0.3.24 July 8, 2011; 2 months ago
    Development status Beta
    Written in C++
    Operating system Windows, GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD
    Available in Dutch, English, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
    Type Electronic money
    License MIT License (open-source)
    Website bitcoin.org

Bitcoin is an open-source project to develop a decentralized, peer-to-peer network that tracks and verifies transactions. Satoshi Nakamoto created Bitcoin in 2009 and described his work in a self-published paper.[1] Bitcoin also refers to the actual network, the digital currency implementation that users transact over this network, and the client software which users employ to access the network and conduct transactions.

Bitcoin enables payments at low cost without the need for centralized payment processors[citation needed]. Users broadcast digitally signed transactions, which sign over some amount of the currency to another user, to other participants on the network. Bitcoin uses a proof-of-work system to assure against double-spending and as an initial currency distribution mechanism.

http://www.weusecoins.com/mining-guide.php
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Gold mining?

If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

My buddy does it. Basically its an online form of currency with its own market. Bitcoins are created from solving hash problems with brute force (picking a random number, feeding it in, result = correct? no? try again). The problems are increasingly difficult to solve, which is why now groups of people form "pools" in order to solve the same problem, and split the bitcoin result.

He basically runs a machine wiht four video cards running some CUDA code that can work these problems insanely fast. They run 24/7, and aren't perfect. He constantly has to reboot them.. He sells the bitcoins for real world money. Apparently there's a market for them..

So basically: You pay for the electricity to run your computer 24/7 to generate bitcoins, sell the bitcoins to the black market for $$, pay for electricy = FREE HEAT.

Comment

and its almost Winter time! Ef3ss, does your buddy belong to a pool? Which one, can you put me in touch with him ? I'm very interested but im at a point where I just need to ask questions and fill in the gaps, getting started. I would probably end up documenting everything too.

I've got most the shit downloaded,and im poised to start mining. I was reading this https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison ,and I have two 5770's.
          Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 09-19-2011, 04:35 PM.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I'll ask him

Comment

another Linden dollar!!!

Comment

Working...
              X