Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like science but I don't like the way it's being taught

Constructive Criticism:

I go to university and I am not very pleased with the way science is being taught... Come to class, take notes, that's basically it. If you think that's boring, I have to agree with you. Does this method of teaching ensure that students understand the material? Maybe... A few students might comprehend the material, but I look around and I see that many students are texting. Then I read the textbook and the textbook confuses me even further. I don't understand why professors resort to these poor "educational" tactics. How should science be taught? Professors should encourage students to touch machines. I'm not talking about a lab session that occurs only once a week. I'm talking about an activity that occurs on a regular basis. On a regular basis, students should physically feel the machines and analyze their motions. Students should ask questions, such as: "What does it do? How does it work? Why does it rotate? Why does it slide?" But wait a minute... How can the university afford so many machines? The answer is very simple... Tuition fees. The tuition fees are already very high. (Well, in Canada, they're very high. I presume that the fees are also very high in the USA.)

Anyways, students need to be more active. Professors can encourage students to become more active by allowing them to feel machines and models. After analyzing these machines and models, students will have a better understanding of the problems in physics. They will solve these problems more efficiently. Some students are getting C's but I have a strong feeling that they are capable of getting A's. Professors should change their strategy so that these students can get higher grades. When you think about it, to a degree, students are consumers. As consumers, they deserve better treatment. Universities spend too much time on theory. Practice is more important than theory. Therefore universities should change their plan.
    "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Q&A owns.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Tuition is so high so the schools can support their damn sports teams. If I ever get money to go to a college, I'm gonna be constantly pissed off about the amount of money that goes to supporting a bunch of guys throwing some damn balls around.
      e|------------------------0---------------
      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
      A|---------------0------------------------
      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

fok?
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Thats pretty sad for a University....I had better than that in High School. College is way overrated these days anyway. I attended and got 33 credits to an AAS degree, but while I was attending I actively kept my resume circulating in the job market and I got hired for big bucks at a nice company , and never went back to finish. To me the professors forced too much down your throat in a short time, and if you fumbled for a little too long with the questions, they would humiliate you by showing off how smart they are, and how stupid you are.

I recently got into a conversation at my bank with someone about American history, and their jaw dropped at how much I knew, and they said I must have had some extensive education in that area, and it was merely what little stuck in my brain from high School.
          Last edited by Cobalt; 04-13-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

They have your money, so a lot of them don't care if you fail or not - as long as they do the basics, they get paid all the same.

Had the same shit in Pre-Calc - I understand math pretty well even though I hate it but my prof would just breeze through everything and expect you to know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodshot View Post
              They have your money, so a lot of them don't care if you fail or not - as long as they do the basics, they get paid all the same.

Had the same shit in Pre-Calc - I understand math pretty well even though I hate it but my prof would just breeze through everything and expect you to know it.
              Teaching 101 : Provide Instructions / Expect they be followed. Knowing the curriculum is soley on the individual enrolled in college, and failing that requirement, im sure most teachers have no objections to you failing their course,because as already said they have your money, and they are gonna get it again when you take the course over again. lol, owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                To me the professors forced too much down your throat in a short time, and if you fumbled for a little too long with the questions, they would humiliate you by showing off how smart they are, and how stupid you are.
                Unfortunately, I went through that type of experience in college when I was studying biology. I felt humiliated, mainly because of the way my biology teacher treated me. This explains why I switched my program from health sciences to engineering. (Although the engineering program has some flaws as well).

Some people think that college and university is the only route for success in life. This is doubtful. I think that trade school is very good. Trade schools focus on practical experience. Some people spent a few months in trade school and they ended up with really good jobs.
                "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

I've home schooled, been to private schools and public schools. For the most part, my home education was the best. I didn't even finish high school, I dropped out my senior year, I felt like it was a total joke. Even the couple private schools I attended didn't give me an education that was as deep and rich as what I taught myself.

Now I'm a designer for a newspaper. I'm able to live comfortably (too comfortably imo) and do my music and other things I love. I guess people have different ideas of what success is. To me, money =/= success, I particularly dislike money anyway.

The moral of the story is be a high school drop-out and play music. jkjk
                  www.youtube.com/user/KillPixel

Comment

I could live in a one-room apartment, as long as I had my computer, and I'm able to see my friends regularly and have workout equipment and food I'd be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by RL Clown View Post
                      Constructive Criticism:

I go to university and I am not very pleased with the way science is being taught... Come to class, take notes, that's basically it. If you think that's boring, I have to agree with you. Does this method of teaching ensure that students understand the material? Maybe... A few students might comprehend the material, but I look around and I see that many students are texting. Then I read the textbook and the textbook confuses me even further. I don't understand why professors resort to these poor "educational" tactics.
                      I agree with your sentiments and your observations. I disagree with your conclusions, however.

Students that are passionate about science with get 200% or 300% out of what the average student gets from a science course.

It is your responsibility for your own education, that freedom is part of college.

The differences between alphas and betas in real-life is just based on what decisions and the level of commitment one makes.

A professor cannot make a slacker into an engaged student. Professors and instructors will make extra time for students that show a ton of initiative and interest. Usually. In lower level classes this is less true.

In 2003 during about 3 months before I graduated at Ohio State, a philosophy professor I did not know stopped, got my attention and greeted me by name while I was outside walking to some class. Some time before, he was a guest lecturer in another philosophy class and I guess I made an impression on him with a question After a few moments, I did remember that but I was very surprised he not only remembered me but my name.
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                      X