Trinicom--haha!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinicom--haha!!

So while cleaning out my quake folder I loaded a strange client--qrack or something--and for some reason it loaded an old version of my config with binds for old servers. So, by chance i happened to connect to quake.trinicom.com!!! God, it was one of my favorites for so long, a few years ago i believe. Someone remind me why it died??? I would love it if people still went there, tho I know intertex has taken the torch as the most popular ctf pub (a modest award indeed)

The server went down for a month last year and the CTF community basically died as a result.

It was weird because Trinicom was super-busy a little over a year ago until that happened. We raided Trinicom for players for xCTF testing a lot, there were always 8-12 players there.

The death of Trinicom, in my opinion, was largely due to them not having a forum. Had they had one, they could have collectively decided on another CTF server to hang out on.

The loss of a server never really affected the CA or RuneQuake communities. The CTF guys had no organization at all and almost none of them seemed to know of any other Quake servers, they had an IRC channel but I don't think many of them knew about it so it wasn't much good.

There are still a number of players that like CTF, the Thursday night CTF games did very well back in March/April until the games got so lopsided with 2 or 3 CTF gods stacked on a single team (and if I recall correctly, refused to switch teams to balance it out) that I think interest waned.

CTF will eventually be back I think. I've seen some ThreeWave games heat up. There just needs to be a critical mass of players to fuel the games. About a month ago, I saw several 8 player games at HDZ occur that would last hours and hours.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Trinicom was around and kicking when I got back into quake. Baron was always there in 1st place

Comment

That is because baron is a grapple monkey.

Comment

hi electricky! oh, btw I just reread my post, and I never actually said what I meant to say--Trinicom is still up! hehhehe i couldnt believe it. that place used to rox

Comment

I miss playing at Trini too. Wish people would start playing CTF again, but it can't be an instant thing. The CTF crowd has to rebuild slowly (but not too slowly, hopefully). Don't suppose people are still playing CTF every Thursday night? Having a CTF night is a good start for trying to get Quake CTF back and semi-popular again. If CTF were just as popular as Rune quake is right now, that would be great.

So hopefully someone starts up a CTF night again if it isn't currently taking place any time. Even with that, it will still be hard to get people playing CTF more often, but at least it's something. Whether we play at Trini (It's still up for those who don't know) or Intertex doesn't matter much, both servers are a little different. Trinicom has a slower hook, which is better for CTF in my opinion, even though it's hard to get used to after playing with the fast hook. Trini is probably a more traditional CTF server, but I wouldn't mind playing at Intertex. I don't know which server i would like better now since i haven't played CTF in a long time, due to there being no one else playing on the CTF servers.

Trinicom had a message board, but i don't think it was ever too active though, and most of the CTF players probably didn't know about it. It's been down for a long time now too.

Comment

CTF Thursday kinda died. Less people started showing up. Eventually we just stopped doing it lol. I guess we can give it another go this week...

CTF Thursday - July 27 - quake.intertex.net - Be there or be somewhere else.
              Last edited by Solecord; 07-24-2006, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I played there every so often back before I was part of the IHOC community (when I was in [eSx]), but the best server I ever played at was quake.dread.net. But that goes all the way back to when I was in [AoD].

Comment

haha dread... I got called a bot on that server all the time rofl.

Comment

CA.MTOWN.COM was the best. Weapons stay, ultra-fast hook, no gay runes, no short quad respawn time.

Comment

mtown was cool. So what time Sol?

Comment

The opposite for me, Sole. I got called a newb on dread....and trinicom. Of course, when I played them I was still a KBer so I really DID suck.

Comment

ill show up too. usually get off work at 11pm and see if anyone is on.. sadly noone is

Comment

Time = all night long. Generally some games would start up early around 7pm or so (CST) and more games would pop up 3 or 4 hours later.

Comment

I used to play ctf at trini quite a bit. Got married, had kids and here it is two years later and I found myself reinstalling Q1. I wonder if there is anyone here I would recognize from the old OLD days. Trini used to have a forum but fewer and fewer ppl used it and I think Speedy finally just took it down. At least I can't find it any more. This looked like a likely place to find some old freinds, but I would say most of them have moved on. I would like to get back into playing ctf - or RA or DM or CA... not a big fan of them rune servers though.

Q1 Forever!

Comment

Working...
                              X