Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks

I played CTF for the first time in a very long time. Actually, it's been a while since I've played Quake. Man do I need practice... lots of it.

One person logged in @ quake.intertex.net. I lost 150 - 0. I felt like such a noob. Owell, that's what you get when you put something down for that long... I'll be back.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

I got on Intertex yesterday when I saw 5 players on the server in the server browser. I hadn't played a 6 player CTF game in a while, although that is mostly because I wasn't playing any Quake from October to early March.

Hopefully Intertex can get up to Trinicom levels and I noticed some excellent features on the server, like the dead bodies fading into the floor.

I just wish Rook would have rune-tell say your rune on the screen. Yes, I know the rune you have is highlighted in the status bar, but I am very used to rune-tell indicating the rune you have on-screen. I'd press rune-tell 5 or 6 times and look at the top of the screen out of habit. It would also be nice to have the finishing touch in RQ compatibility with a +sattack6 quick grenade bind.

I hope to catch some more CTF games. For me, 6 is the minimum enjoyable number of players, with 8+ being preferred. A year ago it wasn't so hard to catch an 8+ player game at Trinicom, I still wonder how/why the server emptied.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
      A year ago it wasn't so hard to catch an 8+ player game at Trinicom, I still wonder how/why the server emptied.
      uberfast hook

edit: + non-stop quad
      Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 03-29-2006, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Back to my biggest Pet Peeve.. Weapons refresh feels like it takes forever!! I would rather the weapons stayed for first pickups.. and you would have to wait for the refresh for extra ammo. Just my thought. I jumped in CTF a few times now. It would rock if more people were there. ;Þ
        www.Net-Tyme.com
        Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
        Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Originally posted by Net-Tyme
          Back to my biggest Pet Peeve.. Weapons refresh feels like it takes forever!! I would rather the weapons stayed for first pickups.. and you would have to wait for the refresh for extra ammo. Just my thought.

I hate the refresh myself. When we had the lan parties at my home, we would set the server where the weapons stayed put.

I jumped in CTF a few times now. It would rock if more people were there. ;Þ
          I was able to play Quake because the 1.10 patch that Blizzard was implementing screwed up the servers for the entire day yesterday.

I was going to get familiar with playing again and in a matter of 60 seconds, someone came on and gave the personal tour... the hard way. Anyhow, the point was that, in my case, it didn't take long before someone popped in.

Comment

I agreee with net-tyme. I came in last week and never got anything better than a shotgun. The other team spawned near all the quads and weaps and I didn't stand a chance. I'm almost tempted to say get rid of the quads, but I won't play much unless the weapons stay put, giving everyone an equal chance, not just the guy who just happens to be closer to the RL.

Come visit us: www.etfellowship.com

Comment

that's pretty much how original quake worked though. You're just used to RuneQuake

Comment

Back to my biggest Pet Peeve.. Weapons refresh feels like it takes forever!! I would rather the weapons stayed for first pickups.. and you would have to wait for the refresh for extra ammo. Just my thought. I jumped in CTF a few times now. It would rock if more people were there. ;Þ
                That was always one of my reasons not to play that much CTF. I think I was into Head Hunters when CTF was at its peak (especially during the time quake.dread.net was a huge server)

Comment

yeah I hate that weapons respawn and when they spawn in different places. Its just NOT enough weapons for a good CTF game. At least make the weapons stay that are in the bases.

Comment

See the problem with CTF now in comparison to back in the good ole' days is that no one's a team player. Back in the day when you had a full server, it was a team effert to win. Your team had to control the RL on the map and make sure your teammates who did not have an RL would get one. Now-a-days you see teammates grab the RL as your moving towards it and they already have one. The weapon respawning creates a team atmosphere, and that's what CTF was all about - the team.

Comment

agreed

Comment

If everyone had rocket launchers, then it wouldn't be so fun actually getting your hands on one in CTF.

And can you imagine how hard getting the flag back to base would be?

I have played some of the best ever games of CTF on Rook's server because

1. The binds are RQ compatible, I won't kid you into how freaking annoying it was at Trinicom to have to bind those freaking impulses, like for the hook. I want to play on any server without binding ANY new keys ... period. And that's pretty much the world we live in now.

Congrats to Rook, and *pats self on back* myself and *pats Yellow on back* Yellow who strongly promoted this concept over time and it's a reality now.

Wasting time binding impulses is so retardedly low tech and is ridiculously un-user-friendly.

2. A decently fast hook that can be used great for navigation, but it's so fast as to ruin the game. Trinicon's hook was so slow as to not even be useful navigation, IMHO.

3. You can find the weapons. Sure you have to wait for them to respawn, but you know where they are. Trinicom had the random spawn thing going on.

I think xCTF has weapons stay on and you can make the argument for that.

But old school CTF is feeling great when you have the RL and strength and plow down defenseless blue guys/red guys -and- feeling helpless running around with the shot gun while being confronted with some guy with armor, a decent weapon and a rune.

Maybe after we are in a position to push FreeQuake (http://freequake.quakeone.com) and have enough types of servers to make that interesting, both types of games will readily be available for play.
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Most of the games of ctf l've been playing lately have been pretty small, so weapon respawn hasn't been an issue. But when a bigger game gets going I do feel like "err, weapon please?"

I actually suggested to r00k a few months ago a feature idea: weapon respawn time to be inversely proportional to the number of players.

I agree with sniper though that people get spoild by runequake, where it rains weapons and powerups, and has a super fast hook. CTF is a different game that requires more strategy, and teamwork. For me ffa games like runequake are fun for a bit but get old....where I could ctf for hours on end. With too many instant powerups it's kind of like playing SP with god and impusle 9. Fun for a time but not as satisfying.

The reason trinicom died is cause it was *down* for an entire month+. It came back empty. Familier story?

CTF night tomorrow...we gonna get a game rolling?
                          uakene.com

Comment

I downloaded and installed Qrack. Very nice... what an improvement. There isn't anything that I didn't like about it.

Jumped on intertex last night to test it out. Thanks Yellow No. 5 for reminding me what "team say" was. All of my old CTF binds have been long gone and I'm trying to play and configure while doing so.

I must have been out of the loop for a long time, because that one guy, Thunder, was downright annoying at times. I couldn't move without him splatter me... everywhere. I'd come around the corner and a rocket was there to greet me.

Comment

Working...
                            X