What made CTF so fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What made CTF so fun?

Just wondering what you other CTF players thought made CTF so fun.

For me, other than the team play aspect and how I loved the REAL CTF game IRL as a kid, I think the grapple hook helped make it a lot more fun.

One main reason I wish to revive Quake 1 CTF play is because of the grapple hook and because NONE of the other online FPS shooter games use grapple hooks or did it right like Quake 1.

When Quake 1 started dying or even now, I first started to think: Well just start playing whatever game is now popular, because they usually have CTF too. But, all that I tried sucked compared to Quake 1. Why exactly?
    The following is completely my opinion only:
    Unreal Tourney totally failed not even having a grapple hook....wtf?! The worse thing is I think UT kind of "set" the standard (down) for future FPS CTF mods for NOT having a grapple hook.

Even games like Quake 2 CTF failed in my opinion because the speed of the grapple hook in Q2 was so slow it made it almost useless and just as fast to walk rather than grapple.

After that, I don't know of any other FPS games that used grapple hooks for CTF modes.... Q3 doesn't have it. Although, I never even tried Q4 multiplayer.

Thinking about this made me realize how even such a small mod even within a mod can make such a big difference within a game's gameplay value.

Anyways, just some thoughts. I would like to hear from others too! Please post your thoughts!

I think your right to mention the hook as a focal point. Besides the gameplay as a whole, the best part of the mod is the hook. It's like playing Jedi Knight with out a light saber. All the other ctf mods pale in comparison. I think probably the second element that made it fun were the 4 runes and 3 powerups. Yet if you could hook and aim, playing a pure game of no bonus items 3on3 was the beast!
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Well... I don't really like the hook. The RQ hook is fine and I can get along with it but the CTF hook is way too slow and sluggish. Add that togeather with no weapons stay and I have disaster.
      e|------------------------0---------------
      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
      A|---------------0------------------------
      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Interesting comments. As one who will only play classic CTF with original quake on ID maps only, I think the Hook is really what made it superb. With the hook you can get to items that were made to be jumped to in the sp mode more easily. You can also get to parts of the map that you would never see in SP mode, and you can hide there with the flg, and as a server admin, you can even put items in these unknown areas and make your server even more interesting.

I do think the hook can be abused though....made too fast the game becomes all about how to use the hook and speed captures. Some of the physics associated with the hook are a bit out of wack , as you pointed out. Hoisting your weight up and down a rope for even a couple of minutes would make you so tired, you would have to rest a while just to get moving again, and the game completely ignores things like this. So in that respect thats where it goes a bit overboard, and who knows, maybe its why people decided to write cheats....go an inch, go a mile.

Comment

Q2 had a nice hook, it was mainly dependant on what the server admin set it to. For example, trinicom's hook was slow,very slow

Unreal Tourney had the teleporter, which was their own version of the hook.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
            Q2 had a nice hook, it was mainly dependant on what the server admin set it to. For example, trinicom's hook was slow,very slow

Unreal Tourney had the teleporter, which was their own version of the hook.
            Q2 grapple wasn't that bad, I guess, but it also wasn't QW CTF grapple!

BTW, I never get tired of seeing your avatar pic, always loved that pic.

Comment

Quake 3 did have a hook. It was like a lightning bolt that shot out, and it was FAST.
              uakene.com

Comment

I wouldnt mind seeing that Chad.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIjwIPmu23c]YouTube - q3 test movie hook[/ame]

You can just search "Quake 3 Grapple Hook" on youtube and a bunch of movies pop up with it, anyhow, remember, I said FAST, and this fucker is FAST.
                  uakene.com

Comment

ok that was misleading. Sorry but i never saw the penalty for using the hook,
                    anyways if people wanna play quake like little bunnies and bounce around in neon fullbright colors let them play quakewurlduh. But the real,(cpma almost had it right) hook belongs to 3wave CTF.
                    In my supported version of CRCTF i have tailored the hook to get the most gameplay forthright and ill put it against anything quake4 has.

once i learned how to strafe hook, that was it, the fast paced game and the learning to master the physics really is something that new game Devs need to know. INVENT the hook and they will play (oh wait no one uses the hook! ) well fuk 'em
                    Last edited by R00k; 08-26-2009, 10:00 PM.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                      ok that was misleading. Sorry but i never saw the penalty for using the hook,
                      anyways if people wanna play quake like little bunnies and bounce around in neon fullbright colors let them play quakewurlduh. But the real,(cpma almost had it right) hook belongs to 3wave CTF.
                      In my supported version of CRCTF i have tailored the hook to get the most gameplay forthright and ill put it against anything quake4 has.

once i learned how to strafe hook, that was it, the fast paced game and the learning to master the physics really is something that new game Devs need to know. INVENT the hook and they will play (oh wait no one uses the hook! ) well fuk 'em
                      I agree. I think someone already said in this thread too that it really made quake 1 fell MORE 3d, because besides RJ, you never could use the whole level until the hook.

I also agree with the speed issue. Too fast, and it ruins the hook. Too slow, and makes the hook useless.

Comment

Ok, I give up - if the hook is so great, then how come hardly anyone plays CTF anymore?

Comment

rook what's up with the silly hook speed on some ctf servers lately? (i forget which ones) you know, where it shoots out really slow, but then one it attaches, you move way too fast? how do we disable that....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                            Ok, I give up - if the hook is so great, then how come hardly anyone plays CTF anymore?
                            This is kind of a different topic, yet a good mystery nonetheless.
                            Q: If a game is really good (I am REALLY, REALLY good), why does it still die after X amount of years?

Quake 1 is STILL a very great game, especially the online play, yet no one plays it anymore, well, hardly anyone. Why?

Maybe it is human nature to simply want something "new" every so often.

At least, that is my best personal theory.

Comment

consumer society is about constantly finding new things and throwing away the old, regardless of their value. it's about being constantly 'on the move'

Comment

Working...
                              X