Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intertex suggestion

Here is the problem:

With no quad, the game gets a little boring and there is no easy to way to change the rune balance.

With quad, every player lets getting quad dominate what they do in the game and where they go. It becomes more individualistic and quad whorish, sometimes dominated by one team.

I suggest that quads can spawn in their normal areas, but that they are specific for a team. Meaning....There will be a blue quad and a red quad that can only be grabbed by that specific team. Whether the Quad is blue to red would be random or alternate depending on how many quads have spawned for each team accordingly.

I'm not sure that this can be implemented or not, but I think this would create better balance in the game. Perhaps the pent model would be the red quad and the regular quad would be the blue quad. If it is a pent model, a blue player would not be allowed to pick up the powerup.

cool idea.

Comment

I find it is more trouble on maps where there is a narrow hall to one team or the other's flag. Typically some of the id maps are stacked towards one team or another.

Strong argument for going some Threewave CTF nights, although there would need to be an installer for some of the less Quake-experienced/computer familiar to not mess up the install. (They exist and no shame in being such a person.)
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I think overall Blue has a "better" home base on many of the maps. There's exceptions, but overall their base is usually better.

Comment

How about...

Instead of quake always being 4x, it is variable, based on how good a player is? It could be based on eff, as this mod has that feature. When you pick up quad it would say [your eff is 31.5 - quad is set to 2x] or [your eff is 11 - quad is set to 4x]

Or it could take into account how many frags you've got (actually kills not flag caps too), and compare that to others, and also consider who it is you've fragged, and how valuabe that frag was based on their eff/frags.
          uakene.com

Comment

So we have to suck to pwn I like it

Comment

All these suggestions are great in terms of everyone trying to tweak the server to provide a better atmosphere for games but overall I think the server should be left the way it is in terms of how things work. Stick with the spawn times of the powerups. I think making team quads or the power of quad based on player is too much. I don't think we should be messing with stuff like that. Pub CTF games will always be one sided. It's always been that way. We should instead focus on ideas on how to improve the teams. The last two weeks I've been at CTF Thursday one team is stacked and it remains that way for the entire session of quakin'. I have no idea how hard it would be to implement these ideas into the code since I don't code software, but:

Randomly stick players on different teams after each map
              This is the most obvious solution to the above problem. Best way for this to work I think would be (thinking in terms of coding so this would all happen super fast) at the start of a new map, every player is listed as having no team. The server would take each player and randomly assign them a team. I think if you just take a player or two from red and swap them over to blue, that won't help. It should randomly distribute every player every game.

Swap bases every round
              On some string of maps, blue has an advantage over red in terms of base position and layout. If teams are randomly generated every level this really won't matter but what if every odd map red's base becomes blue's base? Example: e4m3 red has their normal base. When the level changes to e4m4 red's base becomes blue's base. e4m5 red would have their normal base again.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord
                Swap bases every round
                bla bla bla bla bla
                That's a cool idea but you should realise that a lot of people will get REALLY confused when they go to the wrong base (not knowing the bases are switched). If the teams were randomized, then I don't think that would matter.

Rook could always give the red team more players

Comment

Ya. If you randomize teams then you do not need to change bases...That is repititive.

Comment

Here's a suggestion

In the past intertex was a normal ctf server. It ran a mod similar to 3wave pub ctf, with rook's flavoring added. I had no complaints except the item locations didn't match what I was used to from past ctf pub servers.

Then came weaponstay, different quad timings, a complete lack of any kind of voting system for turning runes or powerups on/off. You can complain about stacked teams all you want, but str+res on one team without powerups makes for a stacked game no matter what the teams are, especially on certain maps where the base has plenty of ammo, weapons, and red armor. These changes alienate the old school, loyal players who spent a decade keeping this game alive, avoiding moving on to something else.

As for leveling the playing field for newbies, I've played on itex quite a bit lately and it's the same people that have played quake for the past few years. I don't see enough newbies around to justify this. All I see is a few runequake players coming over and complaining that shmack has this or shmack has that. Well I'd tell them the same thing they tell me when I tell them how sad shmack is, "if you don't like it, gtfo."

As for the uneven teams, if you want even games make random teams between maps, hell you could do what newer games do and force team randomizing every few minutes. Person is selected for change, wait till they die, force them to other team (leave people their scores obviously or the game will never end).

Comment

Originally posted by shaolin
                      Then came weaponstay, different quad timings, a complete lack of any kind of voting system for turning runes or powerups on/off. You can complain about stacked teams all you want, but str+res on one team without powerups makes for a stacked game no matter what the teams are
                      I'm not much of a CTF player, but I think Shaolin has a great point in that radically altering the rules or weirding things up too much to try to force a certain outcome is bad.

Again, I'm not too familiar with all the advances made at Intertex other than the ones I notice in-game, but a system for voting off runes/weapon stay/power-ups would be a good idea if it isn't present.

The thing about power-ups on some of these maps is that fighting someone with Quad + resistance and skill = impossible.

And I have to admit, I liked CTF Thursdays better with the slow 30 second respawn on weapons. Yeah, everyone didn't have an RL but when you had one, it was great. Being armed and deadly was special.
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Actually this version of ctf is a very simplified mod for new players.
                        It has come apparent that while the interface can be simplified,
                        core features that I have implemented in CRCTF shouldnt need be removed,
                        if we can learn quake, so can new players. I am honestly considering running ctf night on crctf in pub mode. (btw bake the weapon respawns are 8 seconds, again alterered)

Things that have gotten outta hand, deviants of the norm:

1.> run speed was 340 (runequake-ish)
                        2.> hook velocity changes, (1200 fire, 800 pull vs 3wave 800 / 1000)
                        3.> weapon respawns at 8 seconds not 20
                        4.> Quad respawns set twice as long as normal

etc.. etc.. this is an attempt to gain the active players (runequakers) a chance at ctf with little resistance, though its not about converting the last tribe of midnight quakers into another mod. (thats like asking republicans to sell their oil stocks), but instead revitalize old players with new modern code and clients.

feedback?
                        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I don't know how bad it is to get players into intertex (I figure if they want to play ctf, they'd go there), but I think it was a bad move to make weapon respawns 8 seconds. I was somewhat supportive when you changed it to 20 because it's not that bad, but I don't have EVERYONE to have a rocket launcher. Like Baker said, not everyone needs it.

But then again, I'm hardly playing ctf as it is :d

Comment

After playing CTF again yesterday night, I am really seriously asking if r00k should get rid of the belly hook and just have +hook alias impulse 22... The hook should be considered a weapon and you can only use one weapon at a time. Switch it back to the way it *should* be

Comment

I agree with u there, but a bunch of runequakers, (um well not a bunch) but maybe one wanted the +hook option cause the 3wave hook was too difficult to select and press fire...sigh...
                              I can make the +hook, switch to hook and fire just like normal but without allowing the weapon to switch back, while hooking
                              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Working...
                              X