Quake 1 CTF Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1 CTF Questions

Hello all, I am new, and had some questions.

I used to play the very first Quake that came out in the mid 90's and played CTF. Not sure if any of you have played this or not, but it had Threewave Maps like: Spill the Blood, Strong Box, McKinley's Base....and like 9 others. it had grappling hooks and was a great game with clans....etc.

Do people still play this? Or is this a totally different game now?

If there is a community that play this version could someone point me in the right direction?

Yes the ctf community is loosely active. There are several 2 on 2 up to 4 on 4 games weekly. Mostly on weekends. While the mod is no longer strictly 3Wave, the core of 3wave is intact. Same maps, same models and sounds. Instead it's now know as CRCTF or ClanRing Capture The Flag. This newer mod hosts features like powerup toggle via vote, map voting, observer camera, and most important Match mode for a time based fixed player game, including a slew of player stats.

Active CTF servers are:
    CTF.Quakeone.com:26000
    Zero.Quakeone.com:26000
    Quake.thisserversucks.com:26001
    and CRCTF.Clan-Rum.org:26000
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Does anyone even played Quake 1 anymore? When I join any server there's no one there, maybe a person spectating that's afk but that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
        Yes the ctf community is loosely active. There are several 2 on 2 up to 4 on 4 games weekly. Mostly on weekends. While the mod is no longer strictly 3Wave, the core of 3wave is intact. Same maps, same models and sounds. Instead it's now know as CRCTF or ClanRing Capture The Flag. This newer mod hosts features like powerup toggle via vote, map voting, observer camera, and most important Match mode for a time based fixed player game, including a slew of player stats.

Active CTF servers are:
        CTF.Quakeone.com:26000
        Zero.Quakeone.com:26000
        Quake.thisserversucks.com:26001
        and CRCTF.Clan-Rum.org:26000
        Good Morning Rook, Thank you for your reply. These servers, do they still play the very first Quake Game? That is the best FPS I have ever played to this day.

Could you give me a list of things I need to start playing online again? I have really been out of the loop for some time now. Thank you for your time.

Comment

Here are the files to plat ctf

http://www.clanhdz.com/files/quake/3wctfc.zip
          http://www.clanhdz.com/files/quake/expansionctf.zip

make a ctf folder and put them in that folder.

start your quake with the cmdline -game ctf

connect to zero.quakeone.com
          Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

I dont know if I can find my original Quake CD. Is the game downloadable somewhere? Or would I have to go out and buy it?

Comment

link removed
              Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 12-18-2010, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the files Monoz.

Okay, its been a while. I have some basic questions. What is the command so I can look up and down with mouse? Right now, I can turn around, just cant look up or down with mouse. I used to be able to set up config files back in the day, but I don't remember how to do all this.

Also, where is the cmdline to type "game ctf"? I did it in the console of the quake game, but nothing. I put all the files you told me to into a folder label "ctf".

I tried to load GL Quake, but it said I didn't have a file named "glide2x"? Any help is greatly appreicated.

Where do I type in zero.quakeone.com to connect?

I remember back in the day they had this program called game spy. Thats how we used to connect....lol. Memories.

Comment

Originally posted by 543DoublePlay View Post
                  What is the command so I can look up and down with mouse?
                  +mlook

I used to be able to set up config files back in the day, but I don't remember how to do all this.
                  Create at text file at quake/id1/autoexec.cfg. Put the commands in there (e.g. the +mlook command above).

Also, where is the cmdline to type "game ctf"? I did it in the console of the quake game, but nothing. I put all the files you told me to into a folder label "ctf".
                  You should add it to the Quake command line. You can do this by modifiying your Quake shortcut (RMB > properties) or by creating a batch file that runs <path_to_quake>/quake.exe +game ctf.

Where do I type in zero.quakeone.com to connect?
                  In the quake in-game console. Open it by selecting Options > Go to console in the Quake menu. The command is connect <server>.
                  dfsp*spirit
                  my FPS maps

Comment

Originally posted by dfsp_spirit View Post
                    +mlook

Create at text file at quake/id1/autoexec.cfg. Put the commands in there (e.g. the +mlook command above).

You should add it to the Quake command line. You can do this by modifiying your Quake shortcut (RMB > properties) or by creating a batch file that runs <path_to_quake>/quake.exe +game ctf.

In the quake in-game console. Open it by selecting Options > Go to console in the Quake menu. The command is connect <server>.
                    Thanks, you guys are awesome. Do you run GL quake? I tried, but it said I needed "glide2x" or somethign like that.

I'm afraid I'm clueless how to create a batch file for all this. If someone could break it down step by step that would be awesome.

Is there a program I can download that shows all the servers that are available? Anyone Remember GameSpy?
                    Last edited by 543DoublePlay; 12-18-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

proquake

Comment

Delete the file called opengl.dll located in your quake folder. You should be able to play GL clients afterward.

Comment

Okay Guys, I'm close. I've done everything except the create a batch file.

Can someone list it step by step how to create a batch file so I can play CTF?

Also, I goto the in-game console, type Connect "zero.quakeone.com" I get the message "trying" then "Connection accepted" but nothing happens. It just stays in the conole. Maybe it has to do with the batch file that I need to create?

How do I get to the Quake command Line so I can add "game + ctf" ?

you guys have been great, Im almost there!
                          Last edited by 543DoublePlay; 12-19-2010, 07:49 AM.

Comment

never had the sitting problem, but i hear typing 'ping' into the console can help you go through all the way.

Comment

Save the following code to a textfile* named play_ctf.bat or whatever and place that file in your Quake directory:

Code:
                              glquake.exe -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32 -game ctf +connect zero.quakeone.com
                              Then double-click the file to play. The 2 numbers specify your screen resolution for Quake so if you are not running it in 1280x1024 like I do, you'll have to replace them with appropriate values for your system.

* You can create the textfile by navigating to your Quake folder in Windows Explorer, then clicking RMB (right mouse button) and selecting New > Text Document.
                              dfsp*spirit
                              my FPS maps

Comment

Working...
                              X