Why do you play QuakeWorld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you play QuakeWorld?

Sincere question, I am not here to get each Quake camp to fight each other. Rather than continue to presume the people playing this game in 2015 are super conservative I came here to hear your words. I've seen mentioned that: "it's faster and takes more skill". The movement is faster (no idea if it is quicker than CPM), however the maps used tend to be really cramped and full of chokepoints, That just encourages spam. QW was the shit during its day, but what keeps it alive in 2015? I might just uneducated, but I don't see how single player maps are deemed suitable for tournament play. Don't a few weapons severely outclass the rest? What happened to the tedious balancing requirements and symmetrical maps?

My time with QW is miniscule so correct me if necessary, but rocket jumping is clunky. Can you do defrag style movements in QW? If its just devotion to this particular game then that is fine. Q1 has its charm and I enjoyed the single player.

edit: I know there are a bunch of forks of Q1's multiplayer and no idea if they differ, but if you play one tell me about it.
    Last edited by tumbleweed789; 05-16-2015, 02:20 AM.

At first I thought this was a NQ/QW (netquake/quakeworld) question, but now I see it's a new quake/old quake question, since you're talking about the maps being different. I looked up what defrag movements are, and it reminds me of bunny hopping in QW, where you practice difficult maneuvers to get any physics/speed advantage possible. That, in particular, is one reason I stayed with NQ rather than QW-type Quake1 servers.

Anyway, I know there are people that enjoy Quake1 still since they can create things in it, eg. models, mods, maps, etc. I know that's one reason i stick with it, even though I don't do notable work. Another thing that draws me is familiarity, and after a decade, it must be termed a habit. Playing badly on new maps for a while to learn them takes some diligence. For some reason, I don't want to give that kind of effort to Quake. I barely want to give it to new games on Steam, either. Perhaps I'm lazier than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by tumbleweed789 View Post
      I might just uneducated, but I don't see how single player maps are deemed suitable for tournament play.
      Might just be a misconception there. Neither NetQuake nor QuakeWorld players do much serious DM on singleplayer maps. I guess E1M2 for team DM, but that's about it for SP maps? Certainly not in duelling... that's traditionally dm2/4/6 + aero + ztn.

Edit: anyway, sounds like you're more specifically asking why play Quake multiplayer. (As opposed to playing other MP games, or playing Quake SP.)

Eh... it's different. Fast, bouncy, maps with vertical complexity, not so much reliance on "bullet hose" weapons as most modern shooters. When things are different then there will be some folks that prefer one or the other. :-)

Personally I don't play a lot of FPS MP online anymore. I enjoy both Q1 and Q3 when I get to play with local friends, especially since they're so simple controls-wise that everyone can pick-up-and-play, and they run great on everyone's PC. The choice between Q1 and Q3 is an interesting one for us... good points both ways, sometimes we're in the mood for one, sometimes the other. We only play FFA or RA, so Q1 is more of a chaotic explosion slugfest.
      Last edited by Johnny Law; 05-16-2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
        At first I thought this was a NQ/QW (netquake/quakeworld) question, but now I see it's a new quake/old quake question, since you're talking about the maps being different. I looked up what defrag movements are, and it reminds me of bunny hopping in QW, where you practice difficult maneuvers to get any physics/speed advantage possible. That, in particular, is one reason I stayed with NQ rather than QW-type Quake1 servers.

Anyway, I know there are people that enjoy Quake1 still since they can create things in it, eg. models, mods, maps, etc. I know that's one reason i stick with it, even though I don't do notable work. Another thing that draws me is familiarity, and after a decade, it must be termed a habit. Playing badly on new maps for a while to learn them takes some diligence. For some reason, I don't want to give that kind of effort to Quake. I barely want to give it to new games on Steam, either. Perhaps I'm lazier than I thought!
        Defrag, in spite of being a mod, only makes you invincible and has it's own maps, the one that actually modifies the movement is CPM. I kinda tried doing similar actions in one of the Q1 engines, but it didn't seem to match Q3's flexibility. I could be wrong though. Here are examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0jtCsjU8U

CPM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbaUesIiUpk

What baffles me the most is the competitive scene of Q1. They sometimes say that it is the most skill demanding, but it seems to me like that would be Q3 or CPM. Is it just the "my group is better" mentality?

Comment

Originally posted by tumbleweed789 View Post
          What baffles me the most is the competitive scene of Q1. They sometimes say that it is the most skill demanding, but it seems to me like that would be Q3 or CPM. Is it just the "my group is better" mentality?
          Probably a lot of that going on, sure.

Although team games in Q1 did appeal to me more than in Q3. Some good words about team DM by ddk: Structure in Quake 4v4 and why it’s important. | DDK (And of course Q1 CTF had the grapple!)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Law View Post
            Probably a lot of that going on, sure.

Although team games in Q1 did appeal to me more than in Q3. Some good words about team DM by ddk: Structure in Quake 4v4 and why it’s important. | DDK (And of course Q1 CTF had the grapple!)
            Not really convinced by ddk. Looking up the maps I see played in TDM they're not strictly from sp, but they look ripped off from there (some of the geometry is reused isn't it?)

The Quake playerbase is so fragmented and entrenched it has the consequence of less people playing. As a newcomer I fell in love with its jumping mechanics, but was put off by how there is too much splintering even when it comes to one game. I wonder if most people would just pick one and focus on it there would be some growth. At least it would be easier to find matches.

Comment

Because it's fun. No real reason honestly.
              Quake is for nerds.

Comment

Bunnyjump and speed

Comment

i keep coming back, because despite its age, there aren't many modern examples of the style of play that quake breeds. today's shooters rely on who can shoot the most rounds first. in quake, your movement skill can sometimes keep you alive just as much as your aim..

i have found, that your accuracy is only just a part of being a good quake mp'r. you must have knowledge of your surroundings, know the right tricks, and when to bust them out. it takes alot more strategy than you might initially think. this type of fps gameplay is hard to find in today's titles, and is sorely missed.

not to say i don't like many of today's shooters, but they all will inevitably be compared to q1 by me.

for the record, i don't play qw, i was always nq. but quake is quake, for the most part, right?
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

No railgun and well..because...Bulat:

Bulat - QuakeWorld Wiki

Comment

QuakeWurld is like walmart at christmas, crowded and silly.

the physics; which they didnt plan on being elated, changed the game.
                      but hey if people like a game of bouncing bunnies and rls woot..!

netquake is the real deal, albiet best played on a l.a.n. where the target physics are the same. but all in all, game is dead long live memories.
                      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                        ...netquake is the real deal, albiet best played on a l.a.n. where the target physics are the same. but all in all, game is dead long live memories.
                        It really saddens me to hear someone of Rook's calibre and respected good standing in the community say things like this I fully understand how he feels, it's just a shame and a sad indictment on the game when someone who has contributed so much feels this way.
                        I suppose the question is what can we do about it? But maybe that's a question for another thread

Back on the topic of "Why Do I play QuakeWorld?", well I have had very little experience of QW as every time I have tried to give it a chance I have found the online servers to be a little too competitive and unwelcoming for my liking, but maybe that's just me. Please don't misunderstand, NQ also has a number of competitive and/or unfriendly players too but it also has a number of people that try to encourage newer, less skilled players in-game. I know such sporting players exist in QW as NQ players like Jer and Sir Henry also play QW on occasions, but my limited experience of QW was very different. Maybe I just chose the wrong servers or caught them on "off days"

Kind regards

Mr.B
                        Mr.Burns
                        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

i was t really trying to troll, but compared to 2006, 2016 is minimal. BUT Quake's 20th birthday is this summer! We can still plan a big tourney/party for the up-coming day!
                          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Working...
                          X