Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1v1 DM ladder & rankings system

Preface:
    I was thinking as to why the last DM tourney failed. It generated a lot of interest and activity in DM but the TG aspect and the lack of solidarity between players on teams (imo) is what did it in. Scheduling of the games was way too tentative and would also occur on weekends when people would want to go out to the bars. This all came with the realization that a TG tourney at this point is ineffective because the DM community is not robust enough yet.

A better alternative:
    By its nature DM is competitive, but playing with the same 15 players night after night has made the competition a bit stale. Many players that used to play even a year or two ago, such as novmode, cata, and bib moved on, presumably because there wasn't anything unique or challenging going on. Seeing as how right now the DM community seems to be the lifeblood of NQ, I have a thought of how to imbibe some interest into the mod and in larger part, the entire game of NQ.

Ladder:
    A 1v1 ladder would be a great way to get some people more interested in DM again. Meanwhile, with only 2 players having to coordinate schedules, it would be much easier to get the actual ladder to happen and clear some of the hurdles that the TG tournament presented. Once a 1v1 ladder took off, a 2v2 ladder could eventually happen. Starting with the easiest and most manageable ladder would allow us to stop premature failure & burnout. Furthermore, requesting that each player go through a cycle of 1v1 maps before replaying the same map (i.e. dm6) would even the playing field between amazing dm6 players and someone lesser skilled who can rock on aerowalk, dm2, e1m2, etc. It would also diversify the map offering that people would be willing to play in TGs because they would learn these maps for the 1v1 effort, or even during the course of their 1v1s.

Rules:
    1. Simple system of wins and losses. 1 win point is +1, 1 loss point is -1. Adding the two brings you to a net score, and you are ranked according to all of the other players.
    2. Any player may challenge any other player. This allows lesser players to rank well on the ladder without having to challenge great players to rank higher.
    3. Games do not need to be scheduled, they may occur at each player's discretion.
    4. 20 minute rounds on one of the following: aerowalk, e1m2, dm2, dm4, dm6, ztndm3, ultrav. The winning player obtains one win point. The loser obtains -1 point for the loss. You cannot play the same map again until you play all of the other maps on the list against other opposing players. This will keep people from only playing dm6 every match, and keep the ladder vibrant. You cannot play the same player twice in a row.
    5. One official 1v1 per day is allowed. That amounts to 7 per week. Do more and treat the other ones as practice.
    6. Quad and pent are by default, off. If both players agree to it, they may turn either of these on.
    7. Leaving a game will result in a loss after 15 minutes of pause. Only if the winning player chooses to take the forfeit win. Otherwise, the game can be rescheduled.
    8. Players should ping within 20ms of each other, if not then the lower pinging player should ping up. Any CRDM server is appropriate to play on, but cheatfree (crmod/crmod 01) are encouraged.
    9. Records of wins & losses will be kept and posted on a sticky thread in the forums. There will be a "news feed" of recent games, and then the ladder itself of rankings. If the idea takes off, then maybe it can have its separate page on quakeone.com.
    10. Record demo(s) of the game(s) and ending screenshot(s). Attach ending screenshot(s) to forum posts of results. Post the results under the sticky thread for the ladder. Make sure to include the scores, as well. If there is a dispute, only then will the demo(s) be reviewed.

So, feel free to sign up for this idea. The cool part about it is that with a simple forum post format or even a web format on quakeone.com, the upkeep & administration of this system is very simple and can be passed around between interested parties.

Participant pool:
    Omicron [email protected]
    Retrocade [email protected]
    Dave
    Naustic [email protected]
    CD [email protected]
    Bruce [email protected]
    Muller
    Mindz

Sign ups go below. Post your email and real quake handle, and I will create a pool of participant players, from which you can all challenge each other. We can decide on an opening day, once enough people show interest in this idea.
    Last edited by omicron; 07-28-2011, 01:55 PM.

Originally posted by Blitz1
    This sounds like a good idea.
    Sign me up
    Post your email and quake handle

I feel that it would be a better idea if the ladder was a best 2 of 3, 10-minute games. And each map can be played only once per best 2 of 3, that way each player would get to play a map of their choice.

The player with the higher average ping gets to choose the 1st map, and the 2nd map is chosen by the lower pinged player.

If it is 1-1, each player tosses 1 map until only a map is left, and they play that map for the final round.

I also feel the map pool should be 5 maps: dm2, dm4, dm6, aerowalk, and ztndm3, like in the QuakeWorld 1v1 Duel tournament.

Let the ladder progress for a season of about 8-weeks, then have a final, best 3 of 5 single-elimination tournament with the top 4 players at the end of the season.
    I like these ideas, I am going to alter what I posted a bit. More maps can be added as interest picks up and through democratic vote to the community.
    Last edited by omicron; 07-27-2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz1
      My email is [email protected] , and for my quake handle you can just put blitz1.
      Minor difference, I added e1m2 as it is a great map for 1v1s.

Comment

You've been conversating with kimp. He's sorry to inform, he got baned.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

kimp'd

I would play if it was a ctf/ca/dm combo tourny
          Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

Originally posted by monoz View Post
            kimp'd

I would play if it was a ctf/ca/dm combo tourny
            Play either way, as this will bring you closer to your end goal of enjoying an NQ environment where all of these mods get play.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
            You've been conversating with kimp. He's sorry to inform, he got baned.
            Turn off the psycho, you're beginning to sound like Scoffer. This thread has nothing to do with Kimp.

Comment

i'm down for that if we get a decent amount of people
              sounds like some good ideas
              i'm already on the dm email chain

Comment

Originally posted by omicron
                Turn off the psycho, you're beginning to sound like Scoffer. This thread has nothing to do with Kimp.
                Originally posted by fallout
                The world has changed for you slightly after constantly consuming Psycho and you got addicted to this chem making you even more dangerous.

Calm down Broseph, your sounding like Surfer-Girl !! Blitz1 was kimping you.

Don't include kimp,as you will subtract from the players willing to play. Some of the TDM community amongst the Q1 community wanting to turn the other cheek and let bygones be bygones don't mean promotion of anything kimp touches will be tolerated.
                Want to hold and organize a tourney here at quakeone.com? Sure,no problem. Wish to include kimp in those festives? Find a new place to organize shit involving kimp. There is a zero tolerance for kimping around these woods.
                Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM. Reason: I shouldn't be so vulgar.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

For the record, Mindz was simply saying that blitz1 was/is Kimp, and he has been banned from the forum, yet again.

On another note, Omicron this sounds like a good idea, and I like this side of you as opposed to the other side of you I like what you're doing right here for the community, keep up with the good work my man.
                  uakene.com

Comment

Not interested

Comment

I'm too scared but will offer my services for training and or practice.

Comment

Sign me up for Bruce's dojo

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce2 View Post
                          I'm too scared but will offer my services for training and or practice.
                          Quakin in yer boots! haha, good one!

Comment

No one should tolerate ultimatums, especially when they are from Mindz.

I'm in, but would like to have poop first. I need an easy win.

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

Working...
                              X