What is your ping in my server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your ping in my server?

Just curious how it works for you all...

Can you connect to turing.lesalab.net:26000 and move around a little and tell me the ping?
    Last edited by ezzetabi; 09-23-2012, 04:35 PM.
    Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

ill try later today.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Sorry Ezze but it didn't work for me...
      Code:
      Host error: connect failed
      Kind regards

Monty
      Mr.Burns
      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

my ping was 7000,000 or maybe 340 (close enough)
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

turing.lesalab.net <-- did a in game test2 turing.lesalab.net on it and it does not show up for anything... The server is not responding, or sending packets out to the net.

What command line are you using? Please post as i may help you get it online correctly.

Can not ping it in DOS either. So probably firewall'D

Comment

yeah..ya gotta connect the knee bone to the elbone.. :p
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

i couldn't connect...
              My Avatars!
              Quake Leagues
              Quake 1.5!!!
              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Server commandline:
                darkplaces-dedicated -dedicated 16 -ip 178.33.10.220 -game rdm +sv_public 1 +deathmatch 1 +skill 3 +sv_aim 1 +fraglimit 20 +map dm6

What I use to connect:
                darkplaces-glx +connect turing.lesalab.net

And about firewalls I checked that udp packets can reach the port 26000 and the answer can go back. So I have no idea of what a client could do for not working. For example Quakespasm is well known for that.

Maybe you can try to connect to 178.33.10.220 so we skip the dns?
                Last edited by ezzetabi; 09-15-2012, 02:23 AM.
                Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
                  Maybe you can try to connect to 178.33.10.220 so we skip the dns?
                  Hi Ezze,

I've just tried connecting via the IP with Proquake (which normally connects to pretty much everything) and got the same message
                  Code:
                  Host Error: Connect failed.
                  I'm not familiar with your network but I suspect the packets are not reaching and being returned by the server. Don't forget it is not just port 26000 that needs to go through the firewall.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Kind regards

Monty
                  Mr.Burns
                  "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

The communication server -> world is not firewalled. And communication world -> server is allowed at port 26000 udp. What else it is needed? And why darkplaces connects? There are different protocols for each client? How many ways are there to send a udp datagram?

Comment

The communication server -> world is not firewalled. And communication world -> server is allowed at port 26000 udp. What else it is needed?
                      I'm no expert, so Rook/Baker/Mh/Spike please feel free to jump in here , but I'm lead to believe that an initial connection is made client-->Server on one port (e.g. Port 26000) and then the server may use any one of a wide range of ports to communicate with the client(s). As a short test, you could try modifying your firewall and forwarding all UDP ports (0 through to 65535) to your server and see if that will allow connections from the outside world.

And why darkplaces connects?
                      Were you connecting to the server from behind the same firewall/router?

There are different protocols for each client? How many ways are there to send a udp datagram?
                      I stopped running my proquake servers a few years ago, but for the majority of servers I suspect they will all allow connection via very similar protocols / methods to ensure compatibility, regardless of the client being used. After reading some of Baker's very helpful posts*, I understand that Darkplaces can have some differences on the network side of things, but on a "standard" proquake server most clients should still be able to at least attempt a connection and get something back providing there is nothing blocking the required ports.

* Edit: If you do a search on this forum I seem to recall a guide to setting up a server which may also help you

Hope this helps

Monty
                      Last edited by Mr.Burns; 09-15-2012, 08:03 AM.
                      Mr.Burns

Comment

you're running a darkplaces server using the DP7 protocol. this means that only darkplaces (and fte) clients can connect. no others can.
                        There's supposed to be some cvar, sv_protocol or something, that can be set to 'quake'. Once done, standard NQ clients are then supposed to be able to connect.

I just got 14ms ping with fte, and 35ms with dp, fun. :s
                        And yes, other NQ clients cannot connect. See my initial paragraph.

Mr. Burns' comment is not relevent to a DP server, but is relevent to a proquake server.
                        With the standard NQ protocol, the client sends a packet to the server to say hello. Then the server connects to the client.
                        This breaks when there is a client-side NAT (very common), or a serverside outgoing firewall (you cannot specify specific ports).
                        Both DP and FTE servers will use the same serverside port for everything when acting as a standard NQ-protocol server. With either of these servers, and a client that uses the same client port, there will be no nat/firewall issues at all.
                        This is not true of other servers like proquake.
                        Either way, that's not the issue here. See my initial paragraph.
                        Some Game Thing

Comment

Thanks!

Re-run the server with:

$ darkplaces-dedicated -dedicated 16 -ip 178.33.10.220 -game rdm +sv_protocolname QUAKE +sv_public 1 +deathmatch 1 +skill 3 +sv_aim 1 +fraglimit 20 +map dm6

Please everyone, try again.
                          Last edited by ezzetabi; 09-15-2012, 06:40 AM.

Comment

@Spike: Thanks for the info. It's good to get quality information from the experts, and I always appreciate you taking the time for a bit of schooling (particularly with DP as I don't run it and was just trying to help ezze out). I am truly not worthy...
                            [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh78T--ZUxY[/ame]

@ Ezze, I was just able to connect with Proquake and my ping ranged from 25-190 connecting from England. On average it seemed to be around 50

Hope this helps

Monty
                            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 09-15-2012, 09:31 AM.
                            Mr.Burns

Comment

i connected. averaged 250-264 ping.
                              My Avatars!
                              Quake Leagues
                              Quake 1.5!!!
                              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Working...
                              X