Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sick of Tourneys Failing? (DM Tournament)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick of Tourneys Failing? (DM Tournament)

Hello all,

I have been flirting with this idea lately and since I have seen an influx of DM players, would like the ideas and feedback of the general quake community. We have had CA/CTF/DM tournaments several times over the past couple of years. They usually fail. If anyone recalls the HUGE CTF tournament we almost pulled off months ago, we had a major tournament for the first time in recent memory for this game.

This game has been going a long long time and most have said it has died, died again, and is still dead. I believe even though it is spread out over many different servers, this game still competes with the major games out there right now. Q4 flopped, COD4 still going but waning, QuakeLive well is just like Q3 which has also "died".

My proposition: A tournament with GUARANTEED prize money. I have come up with some numbers but would like your feedback on it. The main problem in getting these tournaments is organization and DEDICATION. The organization has been there for these past tournaments I feel with new technology and ways to communicate through email, IM, and other network software.

Why DM? It seems to be the most sophisticated mod that is currently out there. It is the original bread winning mod (correct me if I am wrong, perhaps just the most famous), and the mod that is consistently getting games at night at this point in time (not to mention my favorite).

How do I propose to guarantee prize money? Coming out of pocket of course. I am willing to see this thing through and see it succeed. I will be coming up with some upfront cash to guarantee the prize money, but I would also like there to be a low entry fee that everyone can agree on. This would help with the dedication. Like in poker who cares if its not your money, but when something real is on the line, it tends to be a little more serious.

I am willing to work with previous tournament organizers with websites lined up in order to speed up this process, instead of starting over, and scratching everything, and then everyone getting confused. There will be rules that are non-negotiable. I will work personally to get some secondary prizes from sponsors, garb, hats, mice, etc. This will happen with our commitment if we WANT it bad enough. There's no commitment now, just post your feedback, if we have enough we will consider the next phase. I'm thinking triple digits in prize money.

Questions, Comments, Concerns:
    [email protected]

I think this is a great idea Zild!

Comment

DM3 crmod is such a lopsided map,the three strongest weapons in one room. I doubt I'll have an interest in particpating,unless in fact there is cold hard cash involved. then I'll start practicing dm
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Hi

Zild, I'm down. I'll help whenever I can.

DM is a good start, but if you think about it, organization and some time, even CTF and CA would be successful.

$5-$10 should be good...(if someone has trust concerns, its not too much too lose, yet worthy enough if it turns out to be 30 players!)

I propose 3 phases...
        1- awareness that this is coming, bring back the old schoolers too and get the new people interested
        2- team/league structuring in parallel with #1
        3- get the games scheduled!

Any ways to do these in the past would work.
        I liked the Sunday night CA 2v2 tourneys, there was a pretty good website to keep track and alot of people showed on IRC to play. The organizers did pretty good with that.

Comment

I'm definitely in if something gets going, my only early suggestion for this would be we arrange it so that the teams are as even as possible. Looking at the tourney kimp tried to organize teams were really lopsided. Bruce, Krix, Lenny, and Scott were all on one team. How fun is it when you know the outcome of the tourney before it already starts? My suggestion is, take however many people we get to signup and divide by 4. That determines the number of captains. Then have the captains select each of the participants one by one. I think amongst the top few players they could determine the most qualified captains.

Edit: We might have better luck if this is cross posted in the main forum, because that forum gets the most traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by cd57 View Post
            I'm definitely in if something gets going, my only early suggestion for this would be we arrange it so that the teams are as even as possible. Looking at the tourney kimp tried to organize teams were really lopsided. Bruce, Krix, Lenny, and Scott were all on one team. How fun is it when you know the outcome of the tourney before it already starts? My suggestion is, take however many people we get to signup and divide by 4. That determines the number of captains. Then have the captains select each of the participants one by one. I think amongst the top few players they could determine the most qualified captains.

Edit: We might have better luck if this is cross posted in the main forum, because that forum gets the most traffic.

Just as long as CD doesn't get to cap, he has self admitted he is the worst team captain and pick's the worst teams. lol

I'm definitely down to participate in this little idea though, i think Zild is on to something golden.

Comment

Just dont invite neil or else its open radar season!
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Hey Zild.
                I was thinking maybe there could be a homepage hosted on quakeone.com,
                like the 2v2 clan arena tournament last time?
                Also I think it would be nice if it included clan sign-ups.
                Maybe a 16-clan tournament would be nice.

Also it could be double-elimination, with a winner's and loser's bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                  Just dont invite neil or else its open radar season!
                  Maybe if the matches were held at quake.crmod.com, which is cheat-free?

Comment

Originally posted by cometx77 View Post
                    Maybe if the matches were held at quake.crmod.com, which is cheat-free?
                    funny how cheat-free isnt synonomous with cheat-free
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

KIMP, stop creating different accounts on quakeone.com and stop cluttering threads like this with your inane babble. I wonder why you would want matches held at quake.crmod.com?

Comment

Originally posted by cd57 View Post
                        KIMP, stop creating different accounts on quakeone.com and stop cluttering threads like this with your inane babble. I wonder why you would want matches held at quake.crmod.com?
                        Because hes not banned there yet... keyword, yet.

Comment

Point of interest

I have a few issues with this idea, and I think it's a great attempt at revelling the quake community however I feel it is somewhat of a moot point. Organizing a quake tournament in essence is a flawed idea mainly due to the fact that it gets people interested not involved, plus organization and the actual follow through have failed miserably through recent past attempts. Asking and organizing a payment plan is virtually impossible because who really wants to pay to play? Second, how do you promise these payments to be issued in full? The trust barrier is unraveled in this situation and I feel that is where the eternal problem will inlay. I am not by any means saying this is a bad idea, however it needs some minor surgery. Another thing that i'm concerned with in this situation is when and where this tournament will be played. It is deemed that games are destined to be played at late hours of the night, since that seems to be the only active time. I'm guessing DM3 will be the map of choice? Zild, you have heart, but we need to wake up and smell the coffee, it probably will not happen.

Comment

Personally, I was thinking of having everyone create their own clan and having sign-ups. Obviously that does create a problem with stacking, but It seems there are some equal talent out there and if everyone plays, it will be hard to get just one stacked team. The one problem the last tournament had when we randomized teams was that we could not get everyone happy, and there was always one team that looked a little stacked. We will have to do our best and have some payouts for 2nd and 3rd place and goodies to warrant admission from more players.

Comment

Originally posted by drama2 View Post
                              ...Organizing a quake tournament in essence is a flawed idea mainly due to the fact that it gets people interested not involved.... Asking and organizing a payment plan is virtually impossible because who really wants to pay to play? Second, how do you promise these payments to be issued in full? ... Another thing that i'm concerned with in this situation is when and where this tournament will be played. It is deemed that games are destined to be played at late hours of the night, since that seems to be the only active time. I'm guessing DM3 will be the map of choice? ....
                              These are all valid issues that will need to be addressed. Thank you drama for bringing them up. I will try to answer them to the best of my ability at this point in time and then take suggestions and do my own research.

First, the point of paying to play is supposed to get the players interested and involved. The act of paying is supposed to have that next step to get the player involved in the tournament since that person now has something to risk (low risk). Since that person has a little more to lose that he did before, he is more involved.

Secondly, trust is the main factor here. We try to play down that 5 dollars to the individual is not very much but if a lot of people sign up, say 30, thats 150 bucks. Wow still not enough to warrant a scam but hey money is money. I'm thinking we are going to have to find a third party we can pump money into, and then get it to pump out at a certain time or on command. I'm thinking ebay or paypal where we will have some sort of legal contract behind it. Also there might be some insurance covered in the purchase of some item, when not delivered, could be refunded. How do we set up a private auction for ebay however I do not know. Maybe paypal is the way to go and I will send them emails on exactly what I can do legally and physically.

Thirdly, scheduling is always an issue for these tournaments. Ladders and one day events both seem to lose out not matter what. When we ladder the tournament everyone waits till the last required day anyway. I am hoping the money will help get some commitment on this issue however. Having the group stages as ladder style games, then for a knock-out stage covering one weekend or even one day.

These, are obviously not thought through plans and problems that are obvious ones that have come up in the past tournaments we have held. But if you think about these problems it inherently lays on the players, not the tournament directors. It doesn't really matter what the rules are but if the players never show up, then the players never get the chance to even play. This is about something more and will need something more from the players. If this tournament is run well, who says it can't happen with other mods in the future, or bigger cash prizes. Look at the big picture. Have some fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X