DarkPlaces Multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarkPlaces Multiplayer

I read on the forums at one time or another, DP supported 32 Player server support?

Would current mod's break with that many players,or clients? and.

Why don't I see more server's sporting this feature. I think 16players max has been far too long a time been too little. I could use 16 more people to shoot at,honestly. It's time to double the multitasking capabilities of Quaker's.

I dont play QW.But,I have QW. Who knew?
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Only part I can see it breaking mods is on maps. Most have 16 spawns tops, so at map start we could see half the people getting telefragged

Comment

Darkplaces can support up to 255 players . Maybe even more. There are a few maps that have more than 16 spawns... A few of the massive mexx maps running on NewDM have that. I would've upped NewDM's player limit to 32/64 or so, but it's almost impossible to get that many players on the server, its hard enough to even get 16. That and I'd have to pay out of my ass to bump the player limit up that high

I'm sure you could create a .ent file for certain maps and edit in some more spawn points through precise usage of r_speeds 1 (to view coordinate locations in the map) and x,y,z coordinates... Maybe one day they'll be a great union of engines to support DP, QW, and NQ protocols and people can all play on the same servers. Perhaps then such a limit of 32/64 players can be reached. 255 is a bit absurd and would require a massive map.. Doubt the mods would really break other than spawn points, its more a question of the engine being able to handle it all. If the level is big enough, then it would work.
      Clan Brotherhood of the Axe

Comment

Darkplaces breaks many things. I tried running my FvF server on DP, and there were too many goofy problems for me to even remember. One of the most obvious ones was the fiends getting stuck in mid-air as they came down for a landing. On other mods, such as Travail, monsters just fell through floors. In Rquake, everything seemed to work okay, until you needed the sv_dmflag cvar, which doesn't exist in anything but the specialty Rquake engine.

It seems like LH wanted to make DP better than the original Quake, as far as physics and such is conecrned. As a result, DP and standard Quake don't play well together, at least where the clunky monsters are involved. It almost works on stock Quake, but try running a mod like FvF with lots of hacky enhancements and it really goes to hell.

In any case, DP server only supports that many players if you use the DP7 protocol, which isn't compatable with anything else but Darkplaces. You can run the DP server in Quake mode (which would allow standard clients to connect), but if you're going to do that, you might as well just use a Proquake server.
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by foq View Post
          Darkplaces breaks many things. I tried running my FvF server on DP, and there were too many goofy problems for me to even remember. One of the most obvious ones was the fiends getting stuck in mid-air as they came down for a landing. On other mods, such as Travail, monsters just fell through floors. In Rquake, everything seemed to work okay, until you needed the sv_dmflag cvar, which doesn't exist in anything but the specialty Rquake engine.

It seems like LH wanted to make DP better than the original Quake, as far as physics and such is conecrned. As a result, DP and standard Quake don't play well together, at least where the clunky monsters are involved. It almost works on stock Quake, but try running a mod like FvF with lots of hacky enhancements and it really goes to hell.

In any case, DP server only supports that many players if you use the DP7 protocol, which isn't compatable with anything else but Darkplaces. You can run the DP server in Quake mode (which would allow standard clients to connect), but if you're going to do that, you might as well just use a Proquake server.

NO MORE BEER!
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Truth be told, DarkPlaces is only mostly-compatible with even the original Quake. In a fair number of single player releases and mods you gets lots of problems. And there are subtle problems with even standard Quake single player, like healthboxes that don't drop to the floor. And custom maps have problems with items falling out of the level on rare occasions.

DarkPlaces is well-designed and meant for properly designed maps and mods, but not all maps and mods fall within those compatibility thresholds.

Some of this can be ascribed to flaws in the original Quake, some of this can be attributed to QuakeC hacks. Still that's what most mods are designed around and a fair number don't work right in DarkPlaces.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              Some of this can be ascribed to flaws in the original Quake, some of this can be attributed to QuakeC hacks. Still that's what most mods are designed around and a fair number don't work right in DarkPlaces.
              Yeah appears that some are very much QC related. For example in my fix of the Plasma Gun in Mission Pack 2:
              Old code:
              Orig code had:
              missile.velocity = dir * 0.01;

I simply replaced it with a value of the laser from the enforcer:
              missile.velocity = dir * 600;

Worked instantly after that. Since this was a OFFICIAL addon for Quake and Darkplaces wasn't fully compatible with it in simply having all weapons working - there's bound to be many other mods that have issues. This one though just from the values they used - seems like it was poor coding by Rogue.
              Regardless from all that though Darkplaces is my engine of choice as I am a Single Player player for Quake. For multiplayer, R00k's Qrack looks like it's the best choice (fps matters online!).

Comment

Working...
              X