Quake Desktop Backgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake Desktop Backgrounds

Here is a (small) list of some desktop backgrounds for Quake.

Seems like all the cool desktop backgrounds are for Quake 3.

Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Heh, mrs. no.5 would really not be amused...
    uakene.com

Comment

Sweet, did that first screenshot come from an actual QUAKE ENGINE?! If so, it looks f***ing awesome!

Comment

Sweet, did that first screenshot come from an actual QUAKE ENGINE?!
        If so that is some very very effective use of displacement mapping on the slipgate texture, particularly on the corners with the rivets, and thus it is a new texture altogether with all the complimentary shader-esque texture, which also means it wouldnt tile properly when used elsewhere as those slipgates are textured with a general texture, so this would have to have been made exclusively for that fact.

The lighting however would be even more tricky to get that smooth but still with selected over exposure (you could just fake the awesome girder shadows with a well placed cubemap). So I highly doubt this is a Quake engine, but if it was going to be anyone, I would suspect DarkPlaces due to the lighting, shadow, and texture capabilities. However I suspect much more likely it is just a very impressive render =)

Good work on who ever did it... We do need more Quake wallpapers... Perhaps just some good architecture shots of skilled mappers works at sickeningly high resolutions?
        Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

I hate to report that screenshot #1 is not from a Quake engine. All evidence is that it is from a Quake 2 engine, according to the Besmelloids that looked at it.

Note: Justin Thyme, the Tremor developer, includes that as the default console background in the Tremor Quake engine.

(A Tremor screenshot)
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Here are some shots I took in DarkPlaces with realtime lighting, mild bloom, at 1600x1200x32

http://scar3crow.circa1984.com/quakeshots/

A variety across most of e1 and e2m2, I am fond of the tower shot of e1m3 I got in there, and included a variety where its angled just slightly to not show the floor, which is currently my wallpaper.

Take note there are no replacement files involved, all the models, textures, and sprites are stock id. The only thing different is that I am running DarkPlaces with Romi's rtlights.

Comment

If i have ANY quake screenshot as a desktop, it'd be start.bsp, rendered at 1280x1024 in software.

Comment

Wow, I did not know DarkPlaces could look so great. I'll check it out. Tenebrae is another awesome graphics engine that I have. It looks like Doom 3 with it, but it is really choppy.

Comment

my favorite quake desktop background was one that chuck used to have for a nygma web site. it was two tone yellow(ish) with a huge Q symbol that you could only see part of because it was so big.
                  I'd love to have it again. maybe i will make one and post.

laterz!

Comment

I am currently using the green one as my desktop. Would be nice if there were more kewler ones...

Comment

Monster; DarkPlaces isnt a graphics oriented engine like Tenebrae, as it maintains a lot of compatibility and works on a whole host of cards... That and it plays fast with real time lighting for me in 640x480.

Sorry my shots werent deemed wallpaper worthy, I personally prefer much more straightforward Quake stuff, and find big swelling particle effects around a Quake logo to be more of tacky, and give no sense of dimension to the desktop.

Comment

My brother made one once with all of my quake names and clans on it. If I come across it, I'll post it up, although I'm sure noone will want to use it.

Comment

The one with the Chevy Engine vs the Ogre is my fav Wallpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper
                            The one with the Chevy Engine vs the Ogre is my fav Wallpaper.
                            That's a classic. I forgot about that pic. We need more of the old historical Quake mockup photos/art/jokes/etc, lest they be forgotten.

Like the professor that is so smart that he has forgotten more things than most people ever knew, Quake 1 has lost more stuff than most games have or ever will have.

Comment

There's a bit of an archive of those at quaketerminus, isn't there?

Comment

Working...
                              X