Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A series of Quake Writings

So I've got writer's block. bad

and I came back full circle to Quake1 and while Ive been riding through the chaos that is the single-player experience in all its glory I found myself again trying to fill in the gaps where a plot should be in an empty notepad.

Since the game is so special to people, and so many people have made an effort to write a story to quake (and failed terrible in most cases) I feel that writing my own is a little..daunting.

So since I know the art direction came from H.P Lovecraft, I'm probably going to draw from that writing style a bit, along with that of Mark Z. Daneilewski (house of leaves) with varied texts. If it comes out how I imagine, it should be trippy at the very least.

Any listeners for this story time?

Sounds awesome. I really liked some of the things scar3crow and others wrote at qexpo:

http://www.quakeexpo.com/writings.php

Good luck and I'll be sure to read them.

Comment

Id be up for reading it.

I couldnt read House of Leaves honestly, because I really didnt care about ANY of the characters, and thus felt no concern for what happened to them.
      Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

i totally know what you mean about not caring for characters in books. And as much as I loved house of leaves i do admit that the author could've done some more work on making the characters..well.. more three dimensional.

I think what I'm going for in my work will be to convey the sense of alienation and frustration in a man lost in a hellish world where his sanity is in constant question, and the malevolent being in control of it constantly toys with him

should i write it from a journal entry point of view or a more standard narrative?

Comment

Not only were they 2 dimensional, they were the type of person that if something tragic happened to them in real life, the cynic side of me would go "well... ...sucks for them". Not exactly got me worrying about them.

I would say simply write it, and then re-read it, and see which style dominates or flows better, and edit the rest to match it.
          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

I've been doing something neat with a yellow notepad kept in my medic bag, writing journal entries, so far i have six about the slipgate complex. i wont reveal much but i think i have a voice hammered down for the main character, the ranger. i'll be mentioning plenty of quake memes here and there, but ill do my best not to make them too corny. Plan is to publish the first chapter (six entries) by weds.

Comment

I can't write. I remember during QuakeExpo, reading some of Sajt's stuff and being reminded (sadly) how I know all the right words but completely lack in eloquence.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

nice to see your back around Amon
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  I can't write. I remember during QuakeExpo, reading some of Sajt's stuff and being reminded (sadly) how I know all the right words but completely lack in eloquence.
                  I imagine it would just take practice - like deathmatch, a skill to be developed.
                  But you would have to force yourself to stop caring about the lack of eloquence, or about looking stupid in the meantime. And you would have to be willing to devote the time.

Comment

Sorry for failing on the weds release, I'm being too picky. I have the notebook beside me right now and I'm working on transposing it to text. Might do something graphical to it, might not. Anyways, hang in there!

Comment

Working...
                    X