The Quake Grave #193 - Qump Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quake Grave #193 - Qump Part 2

This video is the 2nd and final part of the Quake Upstart Mapping Project, featuring the next 5 maps of the 10 that are available. This video features a good variety of different style maps, including one super strange one that I wasn't expecting! Very much worth checking out!

Check out the QUMP Project here:
    http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61523

If you want to watch even more Quake Grave, the playlist with all of the episodes is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2zDqCz5KF6HaJ9

Watched it.
    I never was one of the guys who like playthroughs on youtube or youtubers. But today i caught myself having a meal while seeing your weekly Grave episode. Nice review also. Though, when i played it, i didn't like the last map.

Beginning - Pritchard <- Great map, love it as a hub, wish there would be npcs to talk to. QUMP somehow feels to me like it could tell a little story, but it keeps that for itself.

Bloody Sun - Danzadan / NewHouse <- Not my taste. Too monotone. I like ID1 style maps but this was too much for me.

Manchester's Leftovers - Daya <- loved it! Had a good post apoclyptic scifi horror map.

Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors - Naitelveni <- Instant classic for me.

Stygian Waterways - Vingal <- could have used an automap feature like doom had it. Got lost several times, but managed to get the SNG.

The Dog Prison - Kres <- Strange map with inconsistent architecture styles. Liked it because of that and the endfight. I died much more often on skill 3 than i think everybody else ever died in Quake!

The Three Towers of Tremendous Terror and Turmoil - Brassbite <- again, this was a bit monotone for me. I like oldschool forts and castles but this didn't fit my taste.

The Real /vr/ Experience - Spud <- best map ever. Only knew about it through your video.

Didn't play an of the other maps yet.
    I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
    My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
      Watched it.
      I never was one of the guys who like playthroughs on youtube or youtubers. But today i caught myself having a meal while seeing your weekly Grave episode. Nice review also. Though, when i played it, i didn't like the last map.

Beginning - Pritchard <- Great map, love it as a hub, wish there would be npcs to talk to. QUMP somehow feels to me like it could tell a little story, but it keeps that for itself.

Bloody Sun - Danzadan / NewHouse <- Not my taste. Too monotone. I like ID1 style maps but this was too much for me.

Manchester's Leftovers - Daya <- loved it! Had a good post apoclyptic scifi horror map.

Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors - Naitelveni <- Instant classic for me.

Stygian Waterways - Vingal <- could have used an automap feature like doom had it. Got lost several times, but managed to get the SNG.

The Dog Prison - Kres <- Strange map with inconsistent architecture styles. Liked it because of that and the endfight. I died much more often on skill 3 than i think everybody else ever died in Quake!

The Three Towers of Tremendous Terror and Turmoil - Brassbite <- again, this was a bit monotone for me. I like oldschool forts and castles but this didn't fit my taste.

The Real /vr/ Experience - Spud <- best map ever. Only knew about it through your video.

Didn't play an of the other maps yet.
      Sorry TheKillingJoke I didn't realize anyone had replied to my post! I'm really glad you like the show.

I agree with you on most of your points about the maps. That's too bad you didn't like Bloody Sun, I thought it was a stand out map!

What did you think of the rest of them?

Comment

No need to apologize! This ist the Internet. Hm... I somehow got Stuck in playing Death 4 Told with Back to Saturn X and several other Doom maps. Monday i can start to play Quake again, then i can say Something about the Rest of the maps. But regardless of that i hope they so more maps, maybe even another qump Episode.

Comment

So...

The Citadel of pain
          - Had a not so nice starting point, but the design of it had its logic. The Arena-fight on the tower was cruel and hard, which i really appreciate. I love such tense situations. And i liked it, that the lightning gun was in the level, even if i saved it for later and ended up exiting the map without using it. I like the map a lot. It's just too short :-) As for the architecture, as with many map starters it felt a little strange, but this time in a good way. A bit scrag-heavy. For my taste the enemies where placed very well. Hell, the tower-fight was cool! I think i go and replay this map in a few days.

Sunken Cathedral
          - The large and open levels in ID style are not what i like. The architecture seemed here and there a little too hasty, like the big centerpool with the narrow staircase and the Vore in it. But i think that was because the map is a great Cathedral with a lot of room. But asmaller Cathdral would have been also ok for me. The fights where ok, my personal highlight was the fight in the cathedrals roof, at the top of the level. I collected about 5 Voreballs and let them crash into a Demon, that was tremendously funny ( it's a little game you can do here and there in Quake maps). All in all a good first level, especially with such a scale!

(With heavy german accent) Oi font sem to make morr mabs!

Comment

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
            So...

The Citadel of pain
            - Had a not so nice starting point, but the design of it had its logic. The Arena-fight on the tower was cruel and hard, which i really appreciate. I love such tense situations. And i liked it, that the lightning gun was in the level, even if i saved it for later and ended up exiting the map without using it. I like the map a lot. It's just too short :-) As for the architecture, as with many map starters it felt a little strange, but this time in a good way. A bit scrag-heavy. For my taste the enemies where placed very well. Hell, the tower-fight was cool! I think i go and replay this map in a few days.

Sunken Cathedral
            - The large and open levels in ID style are not what i like. The architecture seemed here and there a little too hasty, like the big centerpool with the narrow staircase and the Vore in it. But i think that was because the map is a great Cathedral with a lot of room. But asmaller Cathdral would have been also ok for me. The fights where ok, my personal highlight was the fight in the cathedrals roof, at the top of the level. I collected about 5 Voreballs and let them crash into a Demon, that was tremendously funny ( it's a little game you can do here and there in Quake maps). All in all a good first level, especially with such a scale!

(With heavy german accent) Oi font sem to make morr mabs!
            Agreed on pretty much all counts!

The Citadel of Pain has a great look and the tower fight was really cool! It really could have ended there! The scrag part was a bit odd and the little piece at the end where the exit was felt a little anticlimactic due to the awesome tower fight, but regardless this was a good fun map!

Sunken Cathedral is a really good starter map that shows promise. Just need a little more time in the oven for detailing with brushes and textures.

Comment

Hi Arrrcee,
              It's just a thought, but I was just wondering if you had ever considered working your vocal magic on producing a "Half Life 2 Grave"? As a single player FPS dating back some years now it would seem to suit the format and I'm sure you could find plenty of maps from the various map jams and the RTSL (Run, shoot, think, live) site.as raw material. Daz Weeks / Custom Gamer did a few good reviews but sadly that well seems to have dried up somewhat lately. I would do it myself but as I'm probably the most boring man on the planet I wouldn't subject anyone to my dulcet tones, but if I can help please let me know. So what do you say?

By the way - nice vid

Kind regards
              Monty (/Quakevoid)
              Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-03-2018, 11:38 AM.
              Mr.Burns
              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Athens Lawn Care
                SPAM
                I'm from Athens. If I wanted to be a real dick, just like you've been by spamming this shit here, I'd tell everyone that your office is located at 115 East Hankcock Ave Athens GA 30601, because I'm sure no one can take that info and go all over the internet and sign you up for all kinds of spam and bullshit in return.

You're welcome.
                Last edited by Focalor; 11-02-2019, 06:41 AM.

Comment

How come there's no more Quake Grave videos being made!?
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Interesting post! I love playing this game, so it's great to get more insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      How come there's no more Quake Grave videos being made!?
                      Hi Phen
                      Judging by his latest 2 videos I understand Arrrcee felt like he needed a bit of a break from Quake but he's back with 2 new playthroughs.
                      Try and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDV274BTHLg&t=39s and say Monty sent you

Kind regards

Monty
                      Mr.Burns
                      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
                      X