Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Quake Grave #200 - 207 - Quake 2 Playthrough! Happy 20th Birthday Quake 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quake Grave #200 - 207 - Quake 2 Playthrough! Happy 20th Birthday Quake 2!

Well here we are! It's episode 200 of The Quake Grave! It's been a long road to get here and today I've decided to play through all of Quake 2 for you because today also marks the 20th birthday of Quake 2! Keep in mind I'm playing through in 3rd person, I hope this doesn't trigger anyone, but I wanted to change it up a little. =)

As of today, we're adding Quake 2 into the fold on The Quake Grave so every now and again there will be a Quake 2 Unit or map added in for flavor. I know this is controversial because there are many out there who dislike this game, but Quake 2 was a big part of my online gaming life back in the 90's, so I think it deserves a bit of recognition.

I will be releasing a new episode of the playthrough every day for the next week, so you won't have to go too long without seeing a new episode for it and/or you won't have to sit through Quake 2 for 8 weeks straight if you're not a big fan of the game. Also, I'll only be updating this thread when the new episodes are available as to not clutter up the forums. Please use the link below to see all of the episodes in one playlist. =)

By the way, there are a lot of 2's here. Quake 2, 200 episodes, 20 years old. It's kind of weird... Anyway, enough talking! On with the show.

Here's the Quake 2 playlist, soon to be updated with only the Quake 2 episodes:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FGW7rVPDRWWvvm

Two be frank i have no problem two watch some nostalgia with Quake two. I always liked it and played a lot of ctf and dm short before the twothousands. Two say the least, i like it that you grow two branches, one for Quake, one for Bittermans adventures. Oi loik it.
    I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
    My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

TheKillingJoke It's almost two much to bare!

Here's episode 2, part 2 for the quake 2 playthrough:

Comment

Part 3:

Comment

Pretty neat to see some Q2, really takes me back. I think I bought it in 2000 or so, couple years after it came out. I agree it probably should have been its own thing and not share the name of Quake but it's still a badass and very fun game IMO. I always loved the soundtrack, the track on the 2nd level is my favorite.

Not sure if you knew this or not, but a few Q1 engines support 3rd person as well. Type in "chase_active 1" in the console. Obviously 0 turns it back off.

Hey BTW...what happened to "RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!" Absolutely loved that first part in your videos! Or are you saving that for Q1 videos?
          'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Dutch Your attention to detail is amazing! You're the first person to notice that I removed the "Rise from Your Grave" piece. I removed it because of the new sound effects and intro, I didn't think anyone would notice!

As far as the 2 Quakes being different, it's odd because I feel like Quake 2 has more in common with Doom than it does Quake. It could've been "Doom: Rise of the Strog" and I don't think anyone would've batted an eye.

I think I actually dig the soundtrack for Q2 more than Q1. Q1 is it's own thing music-wise and it matches the game, but I'm not as into ambient music as some others might be. Sonic Mayhem seemed to just nail it here. To each their own though!

The other thing I forgot to mention with Quake 2 is it's the first ID Software release without John Romero at the developer!

I learned about the third person Quake 1 thing just recently when I found out about the Quake 2 third person camera. I may do a Quake 1 third person episode in the future too. =P

Comment

Yeah I would have named quake 2 something like Cerberus...I think that's the name of the strogg city you're fighting into.

There was definitely a time I would have agreed about the soundtracks...in fact I used to pop in the q2 cd and listen to it while playing q1 lol. But I gotta say, the NIN soundtrack has seriously grown on me.

And for the record, I'm casting a HUGE vote in favor on bringing back "rise from your grave!" every time I start one of your vids I crank the shit outta my speakers for that part, and for the theme song. I absolutely love it.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Here's Part 4!

Comment

It says nothing good that i like to watch some strangers playthrough-review more than the tv-program...
                  Probably because games age better than tv-series and are more shortwhile. Tomorrow i can watch unit 3, 4 and 5 :-) Have fun with U 5.

Comment

Dutch I think Cerberus is an awesome name for a new game series! The Quake 1 soundtrack is something I've recently turned on in my videos because I wanted to try and understand when everyone says it's their favorite game soundtrack. Others just say it compliments the game amazingly. While I can agree with the latter as it does compliment the game really well, I don't know that I'd say it's the best ever. Give it another 20 years, I may change my mind though.You never know!

TheKillingJoke Wow, that a huge compliment KillingJoke, thanks! You'll have Quake Grave episodes all week here for Quake 2 and I'll be back with another Quake 1 episode next week too. =)

Comment

Here's Part 5, it's a shorty compared to the others:

Comment

And here is Part 6!

Comment

I remember every section of quake 2. Unit 5 was my least favourite but i still like the whole game an will revisit it after you finished, i think. Ratamahatta was my deathmatch model to go, next to cyborg. Lovely years back then :-) full night lan-sessions, selfcooked chilli, coffe after 3 am to stay awake... Couldn't stand such a night nowadays. Its coll to remember. Nostalgia is a really nice thing.

Which engine do you use for the playthrough? I remember the effects where very similar to quake 1 in appearance and there surely was no blood on the ground back then.

Edit: Also can it be that we here on q1.com can see your videos earlier than on youtube? Can't find Unit 6 in your playlist. Probably just some verification-delay from yt or something similar.
                          Last edited by TheKillingJoke; 12-14-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

TheKillingJoke I might have to agree with you that Unit 5, though it had a lot of the crazy stuff going on with the marines, the maps in Unit 5 felt off. They felt more like custom made maps then ID made maps.

Playing this single player REALLY took back to those times too. Playing CTF till 3-4 in the morning and playing Quake 2 endlessly when school was out. Zumlin was my model for multiplayer, I played with him in Part 1, but Ratamahatta is really quality model too. When I came back a few years ago to start The Quake Grave, I was surprised to see that the love for Quake 2 wasn't there, but I think everyone mainly meant the single player and I can understand that. Quake 1 single player is so fast and responsive compared to Quake 2. However Quake 2 multiplayer... damn was that good!

I used the Knightmare Quake 2 engine. Runs great besides the shadow stuff that I point out in the episodes.

That's weird, Part 6 should be in the playlist! I'll look into it.

I already have a Quake 2 unit lined up to play that was just released last weekend that we will be getting to before the year is over, so the Quake 2 nostalgia will continue on!

Comment

Here is Part 7, only one more episode to go tomorrow! The Final Boss!

Comment

Working...
                              X