Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake TV - Recommended channels

Hello again
    I was always very appreciative of the Quake playthroughs done by Dumptruck and the mighty Arrrcee on thier youtube channels, as well as OMG's now shutdown Quake TV Web App on the NGQ site. They became compulsive viewing after a time as other than going to quake.shmack.net, getting your fill of Quake is getting harder. Unfortunately those streams of activity seem to be dimishing slightly and so I wonder if you have any Quake 1 specific channel's that you could recommend to the community?

I'm happy to start the ball rolling and recommend JCR9001's channel. He is a talented mapper and player from the USA who has recently appeared on my radar and started to do his own playthroughs and tutorials. Needless to say JCR hasn't asked me to do this, and to be honest probably doesn't even know who I am . From what I can tell, and I could of course be wrong here, he doesn't seem to publicise himself very much and given the effort he appears to put in and the amount of work he is producing it seems only fair to bring the channel to the attention of the community and perhaps give him a few thumbs up.

jcr_joke_jam.jpg
    His latest playthrough video features the JokeJam pack and can be viewed at the following url...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmpESgJjII4

Please feel free to recommend your favourite Quake1 channels below.

Kind regards
    Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 06-18-2023, 12:05 PM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

NGQTV is defunct, but it was just a portal for a shitload of playlists that I compiled/copied. You can still go to my OneMadGypsy channel, if you wish, and browse those playlists. The only exception was Arrcee and Dumptruck. I told the youTube API to scrape their playlists for recent content. Although, I believe at one point I did make an Arrcee playlist before I realized that youTube didn't care where the playlist was coming from. You could also very easily save my playlists to your channel in case I ever do decide to wipe them. Just click save on the most top level of the playlist and it should copy an instance of the entire thing in one shot. Do that like 20 times, or something, and you should have them all.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCnUCr...MW7w/playlists

Also, you have your quakeVoid site. I'm sure I have an instance of NGQTV laying around somewhere that you can host. It has no dependencies. My system worked by running a script that would literally write the entire channel directory for me (html and all) so, all the data is static and doesn't do any polling. Every month or so I would simply run the script again and have it write a fresh channel directory for me. I can't give you that script (because my API keys and stuff like that are in it), but I can give you the most recent results of that script that I can find. Note: you will need to host the script outside of wordpress. It is it's own standalone thing entirely. If you have a host like mine all you have to do is make a folder on your root like "qvtv", dump everything in it and then qvtv.quakevoid.com should bring you right to it. That's how I was doing it, anyway.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-11-2020, 07:25 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Thanks OMG.
      I have had a look at your playlists and will probably start small and as long as you still don't mind I will copy those for posterity (and as a backup) in to the QV channel. Once I have them in one place I can take a look at the next step. Unfortunately work is crazy at the moment but hopefully when/if things calm down I should be able to devote the time / effort that these personal projects will require.

Thanks once again
      Monty
      Mr.Burns
      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

"probably start small"

you could have them all in 10 minutes (or less)

1: click "view full playlist" on the one you want to save
        2: click the save playlist button (three bars with a plus sign)

3: click the back button on your browser (or alt+left arrow)
        4: goto 1:

Comment

Job done Thanks, as always, for the info MG.

Kind regards
          Monty
          Mr.Burns

Comment

No problem, sir. I'm happy to help you.

Off-topic Question:

About once a week I run through all the quake sites (including yours) ... just to see what's new. It's usually a short trip. What's going on with OOT? I never see anything new posted about it. It's actually one of the primary reasons I do my little weekly checks ... hoping there is some new interesting tid-bit you've completed/shared.

Oh, also, I left a comment for you a looooong time ago on quakevoid in the Tremor/OOT thread. All your images are broken because they are all pointing to NGQ. I zipped all of your images for you and put them on my gdrive so you could reupload them and fix your page. It's all in the comments that I left for you.

I don't care what you do with the comments. They were more like a 'pseudo email' than a comment. It's not going to hurt my feelings if you delete them. The real point was to help you fix your page. However, if you want to keep the comments and approve them, that's fine too. I guess I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't feel obligated one way or another. I know you, pretty well and I could see you approving 'pseudo email' style comments by me out of respect/inability to seem rude. It's not rude. Their only purpose was to help you clean it up.
            Last edited by MadGypsy; 04-16-2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
              No problem, sir. I'm happy to help you.

Off-topic Question:

About once a week I run through all the quake sites (including yours) ... just to see what's new. It's usually a short trip. What's going on with OOT? I never see anything new posted about it. It's actually one of the primary reasons I do my little weekly checks ... hoping there is some new interesting tid-bit you've completed/shared.

Oh, also, I left a comment for you a looooong time ago on quakevoid in the Tremor/OOT thread. All your images are broken because they are all pointing to NGQ. I zipped all of your images for you and put them on my gdrive so you could reupload them and fix your page. It's all in the comments that I left for you.

I don't care what you do with the comments. They were more like a 'pseudo email' than a comment. It's not going to hurt my feelings if you delete them. The real point was to help you fix your page. However, if you want to keep the comments and approve them, that's fine too. I guess I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't feel obligated one way or another. I know you, pretty well and I could see you approving 'pseudo email' style comments by me out of respect/inability to seem rude. It's not rude. Their only purpose was to help you clean it up.
              Hi MG
              As you I'm sure you will have guessed, those comments hadn't reached me else they would have been responded to, so thank you for the heads up. I've now downloaded those images, just in case they differ from the ones I have already, so you should be able to clear them off your drive and clear some space.
              Due to significant pressures of work, I haven't been doing a lot on my OOT project or the website but I have an interesting lava implementation from L.V.E that is looking promising so I may share that shortly.

Update: Let me share my most recent experience of Wordpress with you. I have a few minutes before starting work so I did the following:
              1. I just logged in to the Quakevoid sight on Wordpress,
              2. edited the OOT project page,
              3. added one of the new pictures,
              4. saved the page,
              5. tried to upload a 2nd picture which failed,
              6. re-saving the page then failed,
              7. viewing the site then failed

...and the end result of all this - the site has now been suspended!
              It would seem uploading pictures of a lava pit in an empty room, created by me, to my own site contravenes their acceptable use policy. Quite laughable really. It's been reported and so hopefully they will sort themselves out shortly.
              Thanks, as always
              Monty
              Last edited by Mr.Burns; 04-18-2020, 12:05 AM.
              Mr.Burns

Comment

Wow, that's some BS! It's stuff like that that compelled me to just pay the 7 or 8 dollars a month and host my own instance of wordpress when I had NGQ. You put in all the work and then some stupid algorithm shuts it all down, and there is little you can do but plead and wait. Could you imagine the explosion if I would have used free wordpress and they did that with NGQ? I would have moved mountains (and dropped them on wordpress) to get my stuff back.

You should consider buying some server space and hosting it yourself. One.com has OK prices and customer service is decent. Generally the first year is really cheap (2 or 3 bucks a month for super basic hosting). I'm not necessarily recommending them, more like just mentioning them. Bluespace.com is supposed to be really nice. I've never used them, but they tend to be around the top of most lists for hosting wordpress. Pricey though.

Whatever you do I wish you luck. If you need a 'bulldog' that will not relent or take no for an answer to call customer service and get your site back, I can do it. I promise to be really nice and sweet til they tell me the first thing that I don't want to hear.

Comment

thanks for recommendations, now I know what to do today

Comment

Thanks for the offer MG, fortunately they reinstated the website and the pictures are now restored.

Kind regards
                    Monty
                    Mr.Burns

Comment

Time for another playthrough from JCR for those interested..

Kind regards
                      Monty
                      Mr.Burns

Comment

And another from the Quake Builder channel on youtube where a talented mapper (Smilecythe) is interviewed whilst his map, Vana Mana Vemputin, is played through:

Enjoy

Monty
                        Mr.Burns

Comment

Morning all,
                          In case you haven't already watched them here's a couple of failry recent Quake Related videos that hopefully you may find interesting..

The first is from long time vlogger arrrcee and via a playthrough he showcases some of the levels released during 2020 from new mappers.

The ever helpful amd informative Dumptruck_ds channel has released a trailer for the "Torrent of Impurities" ( or smej2) map pack for those looking for something other than eternally looping through DM3 you might care to take a look at the video below.

Have fun
                          Monty
                          Mr.Burns

Comment

Hello fellow Quakers,
                            This one slipped by without me noticing it's a "Director's Cut" from back in May 2020 of a map called The Black Reincarnation produced by a telented mapper called JCR where he and the host "Quake Builder" talk about the design and features of the map. Enjoy

*** Warning - Spoilers! ***

Last edited by Mr.Burns; 04-11-2021, 05:00 AM.
                            Mr.Burns

Comment

Good Morning all,
                              Its time for another fun video from long time contributors Arrrcee and Dumptruck_ds showing them thoroughly enjoying a little Quake Coop with some newly produced "old style" maps. So if you haven't already watched them then sit back, relax and [hopefully] enjoy just how much fun they have as they fight their way through the map set ...

Part 1

Part 2

P.S Nice graphics on the screenshot Arrcee

Kind regards
                              Monty
                              Last edited by Mr.Burns; 08-13-2021, 08:01 AM.
                              Mr.Burns

Comment

Working...
                              X