Brutal Doom 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brutal Doom 64

Wow, I'm really speechles, I totally love this improvement on Doom64 made by Sgt Mark IV (author of brutal doom). Even if it's called Brutal Doom 64 it doesn't add the most classical Bdoom features like fatalities, alternative fire, quick kick etc... but it adds really awesome lightning effects, beautiful gore effects, monsters removed from original Doom64 (Chaingun guys, Revenants, Spider Mastermind) and it's very challenging (barons of hell are really "tanky" and nightmare imps/demons are really nasty enemies). Oh and retains the original D64 soundtrack and eerie atmosphere, more similar to Quake than original Doom

Brutal Doom 64 Version 1.0 file - Mod DB

Make Quake Great Again

Thanks so much for letting know, I'm grabbing it
    The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

really amazing mod, ive been playing it a lot since he released it.
      serge really did an amazing job at re-making doom64 in GZdoom and all the additional enhanced effects like flames and fog and glare from lamps and such are done really well and look absolutely gorgeous.

he also did an amazing job at integrating a doom64-style revenant
      and a new enemy called the hellhound, which is an enemy that was originally cut from the game

when i read about adding revenant and the hellhound enemy i was afraid they would ruin the balance of the game,
      but both are used very sparingly and have a slow AI and they feel sluggish yet powerfull just like the other enemies making them fit right in among the other doom64 monsters

i personally also absolutely love the enhanced nightmare imps and nightmare pinkies,
      they always freak the hell out of me whenever i see them popping up out of nowhere,
      and see them fading in and out of existence constantly, getting closer and closer rapidly every time they re-appear

the only thing which isnt good is that sergeant mark IV did NOT add additional ammo to make up for the additional and more difficult new enemies that he placed in the maps,
      making that you quite frequently find yourself out of ammo....

especially in the first 10 maps this happens a loooooot,
      that you find yourself being out of ammo cuz there simply isnt enough ammo placed in the maps. map17 is the absolutely worst offender in this,
      pitting you against several waves of increasingly more powerfull enemies followed by several spider masterminds and 2 cyber-demons
      all without ever giving you any ammo throughout these waves of enemies....

i myself had to cheat to give myself ammo, by the time the spider masterminds spawned i was completely out
      and i was forced to use ammo-cheats to give myself ammo to be able to continue the fight

im also not entirely 100% sold on some of the replacement sounds for weapons,
      especially the pistol and the chaingun are kinda weak-sounding compared to the original sounds which were very beefy and bass,
      they really made the weapons feel satisfying to use, that loud bam that echoed through your room whenever you pulled the trigger.

and im also not really a fan of the replacement of the teleport sound with the rocketlauncher's 'fwoosh'.
      i loooove the original teleport sound from doom64, its one of my favourite all-time sounds in any game ever.
      having it replaced with the generic 'fwoosh' rocketlauncher sound just feels meh in comparison to the epic original sound.

i also personally still much prefer the original theme song by aubrey hodges over the metal cover by andrew Hulshult,
      even though andrew's version is a really great metal rendition i still like the original version more.

overall its an absolutely amazing mod and a really great re-creating of doom64,
      and im loving it really much. sergeant mark IV did an outstanding job on it.
      doom64 has always been my absolutely favourite doom game, and it makes me really happy to see the game getting some love and seeing a gorgeous faithfull recreating of the game.

if he could just fix the ammo-shortage by adding more ammo to make up for the additional enemies and harder AI of some enemies then it would be a perfect TC.

the fact you end up running out of ammo a looot just kinda ruins the game at moments.
      its not fun if you have to use cheats just to be able to finish a level cuz of a severe shortage of ammo pickups to be able to deal with the increased amounts of enemies
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Cool! I'm gonna have to check that.
        ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
        ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Oh I was without ammo too, at some point I had to kill lost souls and imps with chainsaw and escape from 2 barons of hell to reach the exit. Ammo is really scarce, I hope sarge adds more in next release
          Last edited by Blood Vengeance; 11-03-2016, 04:24 AM.
          Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Chaingun? I guess you mean chainsaw.
            ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
            ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Yes chainsaw! Corrected my mistake :-D
              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

sergeant mark IV just released an update to brutal doom64 earlier today

some highlights of the update include:
                - new beefier pistol sound (makes the pistol feel much more satisfying to use!)
                - head-shots for imps and zombies (always fun to blow up some heads!)
                - chainsaw increased damage to make it more usefull (its perhaps a tad OP now but its fun)
                - nightmare imps and nightmare pinkies being visible more frequently
                - re-imported full-res uncompressed textures in png format, which are more clearer
                - alt-fire for super-shotgun to allow shooting one barrel at a time
                - new better-looking method for flares on ceiling- and floor-lights
                - more ammo added on several levels

video showing the things that got updated:
                [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4uEe-2Zdzo[/ame]

i myself also made a little addon to replace the main menu music with the original rendition of the doom64 theme by Aubrey Hodges:
                DOOM64 original theme addon - Mod DB
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Yea the ammo thing was a problem in Brutal Doom too which I finished, also felt like too many monsters sometimes. I think it should be less monsters, maybe stronger and more ammo around - making the whole thing feel more like a 'tactical' adventure with a slight struggle to survive

Somebody should inform or fix the thing - I always played on 'normal' difficulty, but I don't think changing that to anything else would address these issues, right?
                  The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                    sergeant mark IV just released an update to brutal doom64 earlier today

some highlights of the update include:
                    - new beefier pistol sound (makes the pistol feel much more satisfying to use!)
                    - head-shots for imps and zombies (always fun to blow up some heads!)
                    - chainsaw increased damage to make it more usefull (its perhaps a tad OP now but its fun)
                    - nightmare imps and nightmare pinkies being visible more frequently
                    - re-imported full-res uncompressed textures in png format, which are more clearer
                    - alt-fire for super-shotgun to allow shooting one barrel at a time
                    - new better-looking method for flares on ceiling- and floor-lights
                    - more ammo added on several levels

video showing the things that got updated:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4uEe-2Zdzo

i myself also made a little addon to replace the main menu music with the original rendition of the doom64 theme by Aubrey Hodges:
                    DOOM64 original theme addon - Mod DB
                    So it was you who uploaded the original D6 theme on moddb? Great choice, I missed the original
                    Make Quake Great Again

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Vengeance View Post
                      So it was you who uploaded the original D64 theme on moddb? Great choice, I missed the original

yes, yes it was me

also yeah i missed hearing the original too. Andrew Hulshult's metal remake is nice but i really missed hearing the original doom64 theme,
                      imo its one of the greatest themes ever to any game and having it replaced by a modern remake just didnt feel right

also, mandatory mod imo for playing BD64:
                      ZDoom &bull; View topic - [Code] Beam Flashlight

for those really dark spots where you litterally cant see jack shit otherwise

Comment

to anyone who likes to play with either WildWeasel's doomvisor or saegiru's ultimate doom-visor,
                        i made an edit of WildWeasel's doomvisor to fit the dark-red style of doom64:

WW doomvisor -DOOM64 version addon - Mod DB

Comment

Very nice addons!
                          Make Quake Great Again

Comment

thanx

Comment

Really nice work of sargeant_mark_iv, Its a blast in Single Player and Multiplayer! there is already a server for coop online! v2 is planned to be released with bug fixes

Comment

Working...
                              X