No announcement yet.

Quake Champions: The game nobody wants to talk about

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm. Guys, want to give money to small gamedev companies? Like, to me?

I don't have anything to show yet, those things take time, too much of it.

Comment

Independent from what others have written before me, here is what I think about Quake Champions:

I have no problems with the general concept of returning to the Q3 era. Q3A was fun, the levels were great, weapons "felt right" and bots were smart, even with some kinda personality.

I would play Quake Champions under one important condition only, though: Included bot support. Like many other people, competing with super-skilled players online is very frustrating and prevents you from enjoying the game, especially early on. There is also a healthy amount of cheaters. I don't even need a rudimentary singleplayer campaign like Q3A had it, just bot support for playing the levels without human opponents. My fear is just that this isn't the path Bethesda wants to take here.

After all, I am still dreaming of a proper Quake SP experience featuring a return to the universe of the very first installation of the series with modern graphics. However, according to statements from id/Bethesda, they see the future of the series in the online/competitive area. That's really unfortunate since I believe there are many veterans out there who would like to revisit the dark atmosphere of the original Quake. I admit the Cthulhu/Gothic/fantasy mix was quite unusual for its time and may not appeal to everybody like an Overwatch clone these days, but you should always be able to play alone, too.
      Last edited by NightFright; 05-31-2017, 06:53 AM.
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

Originally posted by NightFright View Post
        I would play Quake Champions under one important condition only, though: Included bot support.
        Yeah, nobody makes bots nowadays. Or try to make some smart AI in general. Which is kinda weird, considering the fact that such machine learning technologies like neural networks are a big thing now.

But I guess there's no reason to put so much care into your game if you don't expect it to be played for 20+ years.

Reminded me of A Brief History of Bots by Super Bunnyhop.

Comment

I played it a couple nights ago and did not really enjoy it. Felt like another Overwatch clone.

Money grabbing loot boxes and lack of LAN & bot support and not for me. Just felt like another over the top cash machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebisu View Post
            most consumers don't want to eat shit.
            This statement has been contradicted by reality countless times.

Originally posted by DJLawson View Post
            lack of LAN & bot support
            Seriously? Damn, the more I read about this game, the more I feel like id shot themselves in the foot on this one... And, of course, no mod support either! They might wanna consider learning the lessons of DOOM 2016.
            Last edited by Mugwump; 06-17-2017, 08:52 PM.
            ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
            ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by siger View Post
              Yeah, nobody makes bots nowadays. Or try to make some smart AI in general. Which is kinda weird, considering the fact that such machine learning technologies like neural networks are a big thing now.

But I guess there's no reason to put so much care into your game if you don't expect it to be played for 20+ years.

Reminded me of A Brief History of Bots by Super Bunnyhop.
              Nice link. Pretty interesting. It's a shame there are no bots in Champions. I guess I'll skip it then. I'm not upgrading my computer and spending $60 on a game that will be obsolete in about 2 years. The multiplayer community will not last if the last decade of games has taught us anything.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Working...
              X