Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QI4A: Darkplaces on Android (free)

Hi all (sorry for my english BTW),

I've ported some Id games to Android and now it is Quake 1 (Darkplaces engine). It works even on devices with Android 2.2 and supports mouse on rooted devices, other ports don't contain that feature. I won't add any other engines support because Darkplaces is perfect in my opinion. My port completely complies with GPL (source is included to APK) and I will be very unfriendly to anyone who will try to sell a derivative works of it: I'll just buy these "ports", refund, and request source (even when I refunded, I've received a binary, it is enough), anyone who won't send it will be pulled by DMCA. If I'll receive the source, I'll change the package name and republish it for free, just because I hate when people are selling (almost?) completely others' work.
    Sorry for "Harmless app" developer also, he have published an alpha version of my port as his own work and tried to sell it. I've found his name, address and phone number (and published them on 4PDA.ru) and now he have removed/hidden that content

Send your comments/suggestions to n0n3m4(AT)gmаil.соm, because I don't have enough time to visit all boards.

Link to Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.n0n3m4.Q4A
    Other ports (Quake 2,3, RTCW): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er?id=Proger10

Is it just me or is the whole "HEY IM SELLING QUAKE" really, really, REALLY, starting to piss me off? Yeah , I think so.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

hmmm?!

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
      Is it just me or is the whole "HEY IM SELLING QUAKE" really, really, REALLY, starting to piss me off? Yeah , I think so.
      It is FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111oneoneelev en
      Why not to read the first post?

Comment

if sources are included is not a GPL violation !!
        ,mmmm links are broken
        the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
          if sources are included is not a GPL violation !!
          ,mmmm links are broken
          I've released it a few hours ago, seems like Google didn't update their repository in some countries yet.
          Here is the zip with apk: http://zalil.ru/34490829

Comment

I got lost in translation , but cool.glad its being provided free, hopefully with pak0.pak only.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Very nice. I have to try this

... hopefully with pak0.pak only.

Comment

Excited to try this out. I downloaded the app, but can't find the qi4a folder to add ID1 to the phone. Anyone else having this issue? Maybe it's just my older Android. I'm running 2.2 which should be supported.

Comment

If something is GPL (Quake engine), then there is absolutely zero problem selling a derivative work even without contacting the author / s. As long as the source is available upon request.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I got lost in translation , but cool.glad its being provided free, hopefully with pak0.pak only.
                    It doesn't come with PAK files because even shareware data usage is illegal by license agreement.

Originally posted by John_Stryker View Post
                    Excited to try this out. I downloaded the app, but can't find the qi4a folder to add ID1 to the phone. Anyone else having this issue? Maybe it's just my older Android. I'm running 2.2 which should be supported.
                    Create that qi4a folder manually.

Comment

I still can't get it to work, bah.

Is this the correct commandline?: darkplaces.arm
                      I have my working directory as: /sdcard/qi4a/ID1

Comment

Originally posted by John_Stryker View Post
                        I still can't get it to work, bah.

Is this the correct commandline?: darkplaces.arm
                        I have my working directory as: /sdcard/qi4a/ID1
                        Replace /sdcard/qi4a/ID1 with just /sdcard/qi4a. And re-read description on Google Play for details.

Comment

I don't understand the major 'angst' about people charging for a port.
                          So bloody what? GPL doesn't automaticly mean it has to be 100% free
                          It's only when they don't provide the GPL code and modifications that it should be an issue.

In all honesty, I'd rather pay upfront for someones hard work, instead of getting nags/extra buttons for donations etc. That shit is just plain annoying.

Just tried the QI4A port. It's not bad... But needs some work on the controls.
                          Mainly the movement joystick, that is just damn frustrating to try and control. Not very intuitive, and reaches it's limits too quick. I found myself careening about like a drunk man on stilts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukensteinz View Post
                            I don't understand the major 'angst' about people charging for a port.
                            So bloody what? GPL doesn't automaticly mean it has to be 100% free
                            It's only when they don't provide the GPL code and modifications that it should be an issue.
                            Paid GPL software is senseless because anyone can just republish it on Google Play for free and it will be fair: any work on porting is unsignificant compared to the work on original engine (which was done for free in the case of Darkplaces).
                            Originally posted by Lukensteinz View Post
                            Just tried the QI4A port. It's not bad... But needs some work on the controls.
                            Mainly the movement joystick, that is just damn frustrating to try and control. Not very intuitive, and reaches it's limits too quick. I found myself careening about like a drunk man on stilts.
                            Do you mean that joystick deadzone must be added? Don't forget that you can configure position and size of joystick also.
                            Update: I've just added true analog joystick, it will fix the problem.
                            Last edited by n0n3m4; 05-22-2013, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Update is available on Google Play.
                              Changelog:
                              1) Added smooth joystick.
                              2) Fixed graphical issues.
                              3) Added basic gamepad/joystick support and a notice for users that buttons must be configured in-game just as on a PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X