Lag compensation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag compensation?

It seems that in multiplayer my actions are delayed from when I press my keys. Anyway to turn lag compensation on? I get this on all quake source ports and it has me stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe you have some bad lag

Comment

Originally posted by powerzord View Post
      Maybe you have some bad lag
      The servers I play on are around 30 to 80 ping. It's not my internet connection. Thanks though

Comment

lol, when you say "Source ports" you're setting off alarms as to what clients your using.

Qrack,ProQuake and DirectQ = astounding netplay capability. Are you using any of these 3 clients / engines ?
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
          lol, when you say "Source ports" you're setting off alarms as to what clients your using.

Qrack,ProQuake and DirectQ = astounding netplay capability. Are you using any of these 3 clients / engines ?
          DirectQ, also how do you get music to work in DirectQ I have it in id1/sound/cdtracks in .ogg format. thanks for the answer again, you are fantastic sir.

EDIT: Forget I also had this problem with DarkPlaces
          Last edited by Space Cadet; 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MH
            Possibly a codec-related issue; DirectQ just uses whatever codecs are installed on your PC and if you have a codec that's not 100% compatible with DirectSound then Bad Things might happen. As a precaution, music playback is now limited to WAV, MP3 or WMA formats (using the preinstalled codecs). May revisit this.
            you and I both will need to either download the 500mb large WAV files ATTACUE provided us with, or we can convert our OGG files to mp3 using the same format naming scheme and folder locations, just different format.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

ps : whats your hardware setup like. DirectQ shouldn't have any delays in input vs seeing the action of your input on your screen,especially under 100ms like you say you have.

Comment

wait guys,

this is net quake its inherent; there is no latency compensation in netQuake.

find a sub 50 ms ping server, or jump on quakeworld or darkplaces. ur stuck with latency in netQuakeland ...
                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                  ps : whats your hardware setup like. DirectQ shouldn't have any delays in input vs seeing the action of your input on your screen,especially under 100ms like you say you have.
                  i7, 9gig ram, 560 ti

Comment

as rook said, NQ has absolutely no lag compensation or prediction or anything.

QuakeWorld engines have both prediction as well as lag compensation, so try that instead (especially if you're outside the USA).
                    (look for servers with sv_antilag 2 set).
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

Hi Spike,

Just so some of our newer NQ members (and me) who may not have players QuakeWorld (QW) understand this more clearly, how does the QW lag compensation and prediction manifest itself to the individual player?

I'm just hypothesizing here, but would I be right in assuming that QW prediction is some sort of aim assist mechanism? And does QW lag compensation give some sort of boost to the player with the slowest connect/highest ping or offset that by loading up other players lag?

Sorry for the question, but it's been a niggling query in my mind for some time.

Many thanks

Monty
                      Mr.Burns
                      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

prediction:
                        client simulates the player locally. the view is drawn ahead of where the server claims.
                        other players may also be predicted, again these will be drawn ahead of where the server claimed they were, based upon their current velocity and acceleration etc.
                        (think of it as running the client in the future - the client displays the game as it will be when the packet reaches the server)
                        this means that the clients view moves instantly as soon as they press forward, instead of having to wait for ages for a reply from the server.

lag compensation / anti-lag:
                        the server uses some sort of log and back-dates entities (and then re-predicts them based on latency, if the client is predicting) so that they match the client's view when the 'attack' button was pressed.
                        (think of it as running the server in the past - the server uses the state of game as believed by the client at the time the input packet left the client)
                        this means that the server is tracing based upon the state that the client saw, instead of the new state which has likely changed in the time it took for the input packet to reach the server.
                        (sidenote: a protocol could simply state the positions of everything inside the input packet, but then you end up with cheating lamas that say 'its infront of me, honest!'. the reprediction of past state on the server might be avoidable using interpolation instead, but I'm not sure that would be as accurate).
                        Yes, this means that you can shoot people that already went around corners etc. Servers should probably limit the maximum age of their log to reduce bias towards HPBs.

tldr: with the two combined, you have instant movement, and direct aiming for lightning guns etc. Aim at what you see, rather than 100ms ahead of where they are right now.
                        Some Game Thing

Comment

and to supply the basic info,

there are "NetQuake" (normal Quake) and "QuakeWorld" servers and clients out there. The type of server you connect to decides what the protocol is.

QuakeWorld was released after normal Quake to improve the netplay, but ironically Netquake seems to have the bigger community (in North America at least, not so much in Northern Europe).

Quakeone.com is mainly a North American netquake community.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I don't buy into telling the difference between a 50ms (keypress -> action round trip) dely is THAT noticable compared Quakeworld.

Comment

I was going to mention some of the things people said here about non-existent lag compensation when it comes to NetQuake.

All new games have a form of lag compensation that allows higher pinged players to play as if they had a lower ping, that's always been an issue with NetQuake (namely the sliding, delayed shooting, delayed weapon switch - just for HBPs).

Quakeworld has some really odd coding.. when I gave that game a shot I didn't like that despite the fact I'm pinging 30 I felt like the game was trying to make me do things I didn't want to; largerly, it felt as if my strafe was being forced in one direction when bunny hopping, and my shooting had a delay on it which is somewhat closer to Quake3 (making a seamless transition for guys like czm, fatality, zero4 to name a few). This makes prediction shots a bit tougher because in NetQuake - its point and shoot, which really favors lower pinged players.

Trying to move over as a NetQuaker to QW is hella tough, I think one of the only successful guys at switching back and forth between the two was Cata.

Comment

Working...
                              X