No announcement yet.

Lag compensation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

find the server you ping good at 50ms is sufficient, lead your aim RL and drag your LG, rage.quakeone.com practice mode is a good place to tread NQ water.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
      I don't buy into telling the difference between a 50ms (keypress -> action round trip) dely is THAT noticable compared Quakeworld.
      50 ms more is a huge difference... I can definitely notice when there's 10 ms difference in input lag.

I don't play MP, any reason players prefer NQ to QW? No lag compensation sounds like a major issue?

Comment

seems to be a regional/historical thing, and also NQ players used to complain about some effects of prediction such as "rockets coming out of nowhere" or something. I don't know how much there actually is to that, though, since there are some monstrously skilled QW players who don't seem to be having any problems.

Another common complaint seems to be "bunnyhopping is too easy in QW". From the little experience I have playing NQ online, no one seems to bunnyhop in Netquake.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
          ..., no one seems to bunnyhop in Netquake.
          True. Although in fairness I have to say that if you play Aerowalk on Bigfoot (aka EuroQuake) you'll probably find that Peg, Polarite and Confy do it throughout the game and really move at quite a pace!. As good at it as they are, I agree that they are probably the talented exception rather than the norm.

@ Spike: thanks, as always, for the info and taking the time to reply .
          Kr's

Monty
          Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-17-2013, 07:43 AM.
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Read up here:
            QuakeWorld.nu - QW physics vs NQ physics: everything you ever wanted to know
            about what makes ppl rage (the differences between NQ and QW)

Comment

Right, I remember euroquake guys being all around great players, from my layman's point of view.

edit: Why is stuff like wall friction not fixed in NQ servers?
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                From the little experience I have playing NQ online, no one seems to bunnyhop in Netquake.
                Haha we bunny hop all day....quakeworld is just weird. prediction etc is all garbage. 50 ping is where you wanna be, obviously the lower the better. Other that if you still suffur I say suck it up and play or don't.

NQ MP is just fine, please do not touch code and make it feel like quakeworld.
                Rambo[RuM]
                I support:
                Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
                Qrack - Thank You r00k
                Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
                Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

strafing into walls has always been a hallmark of NQ
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Actually, one ironic thing that can be said for NQ and low latencies is that NQ's fixed network framerate and interpolation and things mean that even with a 'low latency', your effective latency at 20ms isn't fantastically better than 50.
                    Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spiney View Post
                      50 ms more is a huge difference... I can definitely notice when there's 10 ms difference in input lag.

I don't play MP, any reason players prefer NQ to QW? No lag compensation sounds like a major issue?
                      While I PERSONALLY agree with your statement, pushlatency is horribly flawed in terms of you are not always seeing the "real game space" around you. Enemies may not be where you think they are, you may have sidestepped as that rocket was coming toward you only to explode a second later as it connects with you anyway because the server said it did, even if your game did not. Those kind of anti-lag glitches are things that purists can not abide and I respect them for that opinion.

As for myself, anything less than an instantaneous reaction to my commands feels horrible as a player. The character is an extension of myself, yes, an extension of myself that gets pawned frequently but one none the less. There's just this huge mental disconnect that goes on when I press a button and it takes time to respond, be it a quarter or half a second.

Turns it from "I'm in this world" to "I'm issuing orders with a keyboard". The feeling of being in the game, RPG players usually refer to the feeling as immersion, and while immersion does almost nothing for a true competitive player's experience, for casual returning players it's a must have feeling to be able to enjoy it.

Quakeworld's Pushlatency was a flawed but needed step, these days almost all modern games use some kind of perdiction system. For me it's either that or play on LAN. (which I have been doing lately).

Darkplaces isn't too bad connecting to a NQ server and using cl_movement_latency 1 although it dosn't work quite as well as the protocols that Darkplaces brings up when it connects to another Darkplaces Server or to a Quakeworld Server, it does the trick in terms of immersion.

Comment

Actually, one ironic thing that can be said for NQ and low latencies is that NQ's fixed network framerate and interpolation and things mean that even with a 'low latency', your effective latency at 20ms isn't fantastically better than 50.
                        I'd assume you are talking about ticrates.
                        Even with a 20ms ping a default ticrate of 0.1 is only 10 updates per second. Compared to QW's default of 72 updates per second. Although, 90% of netQuake servers now use 0.025 (40 updates per second). To me, QW feels only effective if playing sub 50ms ping. Why? Because even with all the prediction your fire button is still lagged; decoupled by your movement. Which makes it feel like my gun jams. If all input is lagged it just feels like your driving a bulky robot, you get used to it.

The majority of the servers i play on provide me with sub 10ms ping so.....
                        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

and Rambo is right, play a game of 3Wave and you'll see plenty of bunny hopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                            and Rambo is right, play a game of 3Wave and you'll see plenty of bunny hopping.
                            I mean you either grapple, bunny-hop, or play ctf (do both)
                            Rambo[RuM]
                            I support:
                            Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
                            Qrack - Thank You r00k
                            Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
                            Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

Well, on the note about bunny hopping nq vs qw
                              in QW hold strafe and jumping and u will gain exponential speed.
                              in nq u dont. I read what tonic said,
                              Bunny hopping
                              This is what first comes to mind when one thinks of what makes QW physics different.
                              Bunny hopping in QW is a consequence of two things
                              1. No mandatory friction frame. Can land and jump again without losing any speed.
                              2. Client fps are independent from server fps. Higher fps = more speed gained when turning. NQ servers typically run at 20fps, hence very little speed is gained, and a large part of it is then lost upon contact with the ground.
                              But when you start a local server in NQ (with the map command), the server runs at the same fps as the client (up to 72 fps in unmodified Quake). So you can do some impressive bunny runs in NQ, see Quake Done Quick demos.
                              Which imho is bullshit. If i load up elder (e4m3)and strafe jump around yellow armor in ezQuake ill get > 1000speed (show_speed) before running into a wall. In Qrack (nq) i dont get even up to 400. I still think QDQ guys are using either a modded progs.dat or slower host_framerate (ie slow motion). I can strafe-bunny faster at host_framerate 0.01 than at 0.
                              Last edited by R00k; 05-23-2013, 10:20 AM.
                              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I compensate for lag with a big gun that goes BOOOOOOM!!!!

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                                I still think QDQ guys are using either a modded progs.dat or slower host_framerate (ie slow motion). I can strafe-bunny faster at host_framerate 0.01 than at 0.
                                You're just jealous!
                                Turn your host_framerate way down then make QDEQ (Quake Done Even Quicker). If they can do it without changing the host_framerate or progs.dat then imagine what they could do with hacks.

They do technically hack the game however....*SPAWN* ,GL jump to the exit in a couple seconds? common that's just lazy.
                                Last edited by Phenom; 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM.
                                QuakeOne.com
                                Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                                Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                                Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Working...
                                X