voice chat in quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voice chat in quake

is it possible? has it been done? does anybody else like the idea?
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
    is it possible? has it been done? does anybody else like the idea?
    Only if it has the option to be turned on in the first place/muted.

Comment

fte(nq+qw), ezquake(qw), mvdsv(qw) support voicechat.

clientside:
      +voip for press-to-speak (should be listed in the binds menu)
      cl_voip_send 1 for voice activation
      cl_voip_send 2 for constant sending
      cl_voip_play 0 if you want to mute everyone (default is 1).
      vignore $NAME to mute a single player

serverside:
      sv_voip 1 to enable it (should be default)
      sv_voip_echo 1 (only if you want to hear yourself speaking)
      Some Game Thing

Comment

thanks spike. would be nice to see this in proquake.
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Well that's for baker to decide, I suppose.

I made a patch for qrack (1.9) a while ago. Reading through it now, it looks like it does contain both client and server parts, as well as the protocol handshake thing.
          I've no idea how easy it will be to apply it to proquake instead of qrack, but meh.

anyway, I've uploaded that patch here: that patch
          Some Game Thing

Comment

It seems like Unreal Touriment 2004 really nailed in-game voice chat. I'd love to see this supported in Quake. Number one required feature with it would of course be muting offending players, with great power comes great idiots.

That and optional audio ducking would be nice too, where it lowers the game volume for the duration of someone's speech so you don't have to turn down the game volume or turn up the voice volume (great for headsets).

Comment

I didn't see a talk time limit or a "one at a time" feature mentioned.

Going by the data above, it seems someone could just talk forever and there could be a lot of overtalking.

I like how SOCOM FTB1 worked, with chat. You press R shoulder button and hold it til you hear a beep, you then have like 5 seconds to talk. You can't talk again til like 5 more seconds have passed and no one can talk while someone else is talking. Also, unless you are in FFA (deathmatch) only your team can hear you.
              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

lol, yeah, voicechat got used in the qw cutf community a bit.
                mostly for arnie sound boards.
                apparently one of the players was just playing random arnold schwarzenegger quotes into his microphone on the off chance that someone would connect with voice chat enabled (this was back when fte still needed an external dll to encode/decode it, so supporting clients were rather rare at the time thank god).

that patch will reduce your own game volume when speaking, to avoid your own game sound getting broadcast, but I didn't think to reduce game sound when other people are talking (I'm kinda paranoid about people just leaving transmit active the whole time).
                it wouldn't be too hard to add, but I'm too lazy to go back and update the patch. :s
                Some Game Thing

Comment

so monster couldn't troll uswith black metal or screamo metal or death metal, push talk and never let go.

Where is mark, I know he would like this feature. He was constantly wanting me to google+ or PICOFONE or whatever At one time was using TeamSpeak from a Badaim push to get players on it.

I dont have a mic, I can't talk and game. its distracting as fuck/ they wanna make me play at 40% my capacity obviously social Hax. hah
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Ya Spike sent me the code long ago. I thought it requireed an FTE server. But, as cool as it is, it might change the gameplay dramatically. well for about a minute.
                    It was on a backburner, Qrack isnt used as a server, well id use fte/dp/pq 1st ...
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

yeah, I thought it needed an fte server too, but that patch does seem to contain the relevent server changes too, so...
                      maybe I added that in after sending it to you? I really don't remember.
                      the file is dated 30/04/2011 if that helps anything.
                      Some Game Thing

Comment

I have something I'd like to check but I might have a special Qrack wth VOIP... like I say let me check but R00k I told you that not very longa go to work on this it's interesting.

Best would be you do it and then we connect and I'll just interview (record) you... anyway you often prefer to talk (chat) hehe!!

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                        Ya Spike sent me the code long ago. I thought it requireed an FTE server. But, as cool as it is, it might change the gameplay dramatically. well for about a minute.
                        It was on a backburner, Qrack isnt used as a server, well id use fte/dp/pq 1st ...

Comment

Working...
                        X