Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the benefits of mapping for Darkplaces instead of normal Quake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the benefits of mapping for Darkplaces instead of normal Quake?

I know that Darkplaces has things like improved graphics, but is there anything that gives modders a good reason to map for it even it if means throwing away compatibility with vanilla Quake?

What are the things darkplaces can do that vanilla Quake can't do in terms of modding and designing levels?

The reason I am asking is because it appears that most people who buy the game via STEAM install the "ultimate Quake patch" which install Darkplaces anyways, so few people are likely to play vanilla Quake in the first place.

idk
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      idk
      Then what was the point of that reply?

Comment

I didn't want you to feel like you were being ignored. I thought about your questions, and then I decided that I didn't have a good answer, but I wanted you to know that I gave it a shot...{sparkle dust}idk

Comment

i am modding a mod in darkplaces for quake
          reasons
          - q3bsp support
          - iqm , md3 and dp models
          - CSQC ( CSQC !!!!!!!! )
          - Menu.dat
          - darkplaces extensions (thousands of features, read the dpextensions.qc.)
          in the end i put the graphic features
          the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

It makes a great vanilla engine for the game due to the fact it is basically it's own engine making it the best engine so far that i could mod with.
            It's so far going well with something that i am currently working on, the mod would be a CS based mod much like this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwPcmcOSNY]Navy Seals Quake (Quake 1 modification) - YouTube[/ame]

except it could be multiplayer based with newer weapons like the AWP (Most over powered weapon ever) and would be free to play.
            Although i could rip some of his weapons and coding from this mod if it were possible and not to mention i might have to come up with models.
            ***I think this was already done http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...ike-quake.html check this old thread out.
            Last edited by Shambler234; 06-11-2013, 10:00 PM.
            I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
            But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Comment

I know

that I don't know either

but one guy seems to, above that is
              twitch
              wew lad

Comment

Just ask yourself who your target audience is....

If your making a mod or singleplayer map then Darkplaces is an excellent choice.
                If your making a multiplayer mod or map, then darkplaces only would be a horrible choice.

The 3 main engines used in multiplayer Q1 are ProQuake,Qrack,and DirectQ.

ps : no one plays vanilla quake , we all use modern engines on modern operating systems on modern hardware.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post

If your making a mod or singleplayer map then Darkplaces is an excellent choice.
                  If your making a multiplayer mod or map, then darkplaces only would be a horrible choice.

ps : no one plays vanilla quake , we all use modern engines on modern operating systems on modern hardware.
                  Like Ezquake for multiplayer?
                  I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
                  But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Comment

Please elaborate, cause that sounds like completely made-up bullshit. Can you give some specs or something that supports your claim? Xonotic certainly doesn't agree with you.

I have opposite advice from you. If you are gonna make a MP mod or map you should stay away from all those engines that stop at Quake and use something that allows you the freedom to truly create.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post

I use Darkplaces for multiplayer... only cause it was the only engine I could get to work on my Mac lol

Comment

i always use DP for both singleplayer and multiplayer, and i personally have no clue wtf people seem to whine about that 'darkplaces isnt good for multiplayer', cuz it works great for multiplayer too.

ive played on servers often using DP and it works perfect without any problems at all.
                        and ive also often played coop games with friends using DP, worked flawlessly.

better even, if it would be so bad for MP as everyone says, why would it be advertised on the main-page like this then?
                        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                          Please elaborate, cause that sounds like completely made-up bullshit. Can you give some specs or something that supports your claim? Xonotic certainly doesn't agree with you.

I have opposite advice from you. If you are gonna make a MP mod or map you should stay away from all those engines that stop at Quake and use something that allows you the freedom to truly create.
                          Quake isn't Xonotic. Xonotic isn't Quake, more to the point, there are two target audiences. Single player Q1, and Multiplayer Q1.

Darkplaces only multiplayer maps/mods that have any iota of dependency on Quake1 in its assets or community will need to obviously position itself appropriately,and if its multiplayer and everyone uses one of the 3 main engines ProQuake,Qrack,and DirectQ,telling them they can't use their favorite engine and must start using Darkplaces to play is not a good thing, connect to any server and q_version (except at shmack its blocked there) and look at the clients/engines being used.

Then call it bullshit
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

The only issue I have with Darkplaces is on e1m7, when you go into the pent room, everything is black. You can't see the walls or floor. No idea why. I'm assuming its my settings, but I am too lazy to figure out what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                              i always use DP for both singleplayer and multiplayer, and i personally have no clue wtf people seem to whine about that 'darkplaces isnt good for multiplayer', cuz it works great for multiplayer too.

ive played on servers often using DP and it works perfect without any problems at all.
                              and ive also often played coop games with friends using DP, worked flawlessly.

better even, if it would be so bad for MP as everyone says, why would it be advertised on the main-page like this then?
                              the only improvements I know of is 64 player support for using darkplaces netcode protocol or whatever it is, as a server, but the draw back there is again everyone must use darkplaces.

from my own corner of the Q1 community, I won't be dropping DirectQ for any mods or maps about Q1. Entire new games or mods using Darkplaces engine is an entirely different scenario. If it won't run on DirectQ, at the very best I'll check out the map using my darkplaces install, look at it,and then put it down near permanently. Several years ago, I would have said the same thing about Qrack.

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                              I use Darkplaces for multiplayer... only cause it was the only engine I could get to work on my Mac lol
                              lol I would blame that on the fact you own a Mac Sole. Because your my buddy I'll stow my shit talk about Mac's All those Mac vs PC commercials made me bitter probably haha.

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                              The only issue I have with Darkplaces is on e1m7, when you go into the pent room, everything is black. You can't see the walls or floor. No idea why. I'm assuming its my settings, but I am too lazy to figure out what it is.
                              Go into options and set Lighting to High or anything but Full. problem solved :F
                              Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X