Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the benefits of mapping for Darkplaces instead of normal Quake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just about to say that it looks right but, I'm not really knowledgeable of Q3 compiling. I could tell you just about anything you want to know about radiant in a Q1 sense, though.

random FYI: modeltypes, sets the models extensions that you can see in radiant while editing. In order to take advantage of this you have to add a model="path/to/model.mdl" attribute in the point tag for that entity definition. To use a model type not included - just include it

Code:
    <point name="some_name" box="mins/maxs" model="path/to/model">
    </point>
    Code:
    modeltypes = "ase md2 md3 mdl [u]obj[/u]"
    texturetypes is very similar, except you don't have to change the ent in any way, just include the new extension.

Code:
    texturetypes="tga jpg png [u]bmp mip hlw[/u]"
    archive types is just like texturetypes but for archived data
    Code:
    archivetypes="pak pk3 [u]wad[/u]"
    All of these have nothing to do with anything, other than what you will see and can use in Radiant

---

I know you didn't ask about any of that but, Imma learn ya anyway. Understanding what all of this stuff does makes customizing your radiant very easy. There also isn't an astronomical amount to learn - 2 or 3 lil text files about wraps it up.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

DarkPlaces has support for much higher texture resolutions.Unless you want to mod with the old low res,low poly look of vanilla quake ,it is pretty much a no brainer.Mod for DP.
      The overlooked benefit is you will have gained more experience for more modern mapping with IdTech.
      Last edited by bluntz; 11-17-2013, 07:19 PM.
      WARNING
      May be too intense for some viewers.
      Stress Relief Device
      ....BANG HEAD HERE....
      ---------------------------
      .--------------------------

Comment

I haven't seen this mentioned before but could be quite a drawback no:
        Q3BSP doesn't support lightstyles; you'll need BSP format changes and engine mods for this. - MH
        As I have been researching things a bit more, there's a lot of info to be had...
        Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

DP or FTE are prime choices for a multiplayer mod, simply because they have extended network protocols and prediction of entities.

Sure netQuake protocol 15 works for me at least on fiber...
          but for the majority >50 ping and its unbalanced.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by damage_inc View Post
            I haven't seen this mentioned before but could be quite a drawback no:

Q3BSP doesn't support lightstyles; you'll need BSP format changes and engine mods for this. - MH
            As I have been researching things a bit more, there's a lot of info to be had...
            This is incomplete information.

VANILLA q3bsp supported no lightstyles.

Today, with the q3map2 compiler, I'm pretty sure it does:

http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/docs...ghtstyles.html

And FBSP solves that problem anyway. In FBSP (which is what SJ uses) you can just use the same lightstyles as in Quake, in the same way.

DP or FTE are prime choices for a multiplayer mod
            Singleplayer even more so, I'd say. You can get DP to look just like vanilla Quake, even with low res textures. All the horsepower is under the hood.

Not using these engines because of some sort of technophobia is madness IMHO.
            Last edited by golden_boy; 11-18-2013, 10:49 PM.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I just setup everything up following your Q3bsp for quake tutorial! How do you switch to FBSP, grrrrr... hehehe And is this even better than Q3bsp? Oh, and another question, it's probably NOT DP compatible huh?

I usually run DP as for some reason, beyond my comprehension, FTE will not run under my Linux distro And my "wine" usage only spits out video, no audio, even though it used to?! I've stated before, I don't really know Linux I just use it

P.S. In terminal it fteqw.gl spits out "error while loading shared libraries: libXxf86dga.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64", it used to spit out a different jpg lib062'ish error but I tried sudo apt installing something to fix it and instead borked it differently...
              Last edited by damage_inc; 11-18-2013, 11:27 PM.
              Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

to my knowledge, yeah, DP doesn't run FBSP. You can get an equivalent effect though by using q3bsp with lightstyles and external lightmaps.

For FBSP, you add -game qfusion to all your q3map2 compile lines. You will need either FTE or QFusion (warsow engine) for this (for qfusion, I think there exists an implementation of QC in angelscript, but this is probably only worth it if you're makng a standalone game.)

To enable lightstyles in q3bsp for DP, you probably should read that lightstyle part in the q3map2 manual I linked. It uses some shader hackery, but it should work.

For higher-resolution external lightmaps with q3bsp, you add -external and -lightmapsize 512 to the Light command line. You can go higher than 512, but it'll increase compile time and memory requirements. 512 is what FBSP uses by default. 1024 should be doable, anything larger IMO is overkill... especially if you also use shadowmaps.

FTE doesn't run on your Linux? That's strange, have you tried the binaries from here Index of /moodles

?
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I did read the link, was pretty involving for what I usually take for granted as... "easy"! So when you stated FBSP was like regular lightstyle Quakery well, that's why I asked

And dude, that link with the FTE sdl version WORKED! Awesome, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X