Quake 1 Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1 Server

I'm wanting to start a Quake 1 Server on a spare computer but I have some questions.

First what are the required specs ? I have looked at THIS which has some pretty crazy requirements like at least a high-end Pentium processor (200mhz or more)! And it says every player is required to have at least a 3kb connection !

But really here's the specs off the computer which I will be running the server off of :

AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86 2.4GHz processor
    3GB DDR2 RAM
    4gb Flash drive for hard drive / no working hdd
    Mobility Radeon HD 3200 IGP

connection 20mb down 2mb up 30ms ping

I was wondering if I can run the server off a linux distro running off a flash drive since I have no working hard drive for the computer.

Also How many quake servers could I run off this ?

I also have a powerpc mac and could I run a quake 1 server off that?

Also what are some good plugins / clients for the servers.

Sorry for so many questions but completely new to this ^_^ thanks

if you're gonna run a server, its the upload rate that matters. most home connections only care about downloading though, which sucks for hosting your own.
    still, you should be able to get a couple of clients on such a server, just don't expect 32 players to work even remotely well.
    with only 4gb available, you're going to have to use a proper server version of linux (as in one that doesn't have all the x11 stuff). quake itself is quite tiny.

a quake server with no players uses very little cpu. it might as well be paused. You can run multiple server instances on the same box, but you'll likely need to keep the player counts fairly low, and multiple servers can make balancing that awkward.

proquake is the typical server to use 'round these parts.
    personally I'd suggest using fte, if only for the fact that it supports both NQ and QW clients at the same time (woo, more potential users!), but really it depends on which mod(s) you're trying to run.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

FTEQW - Stable Release

what is the difference between
      Full OpenGL client
      Minimal OpenGL client
      Dedicated server ?

Comment

I'm silly one is a server other is a client sorry world

Comment

'full gl' contains client+server.
          'minimal gl' contains a dedicated client (no server)
          'dedicated server' contains a dedicated server (no client)

so for a server, one of x86 or amd64 depending on your OS arch.
          tweak the sv_port cvar to get it to use a different default port if you want. NQ uses 26000 by default, QW(and FTE) uses 27500 by default.
          Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
          X